Menu

Christian Liberty Press History

I should have specified that. :D I'm just curious how it went, if it was fun or boring. If you bought the teacher's manuals, were there ideas for activities, that kind of stuff. Looking at the K-3rd-ish books.

Ok, well the kindergarten one in my opinion is overkill for that age. The 1st grade History for Little Pilgrims is pretty good. My 1st grader really enjoyed it and they offer a cute coloring book. It has a time line that goes along the bottom of the book the whole way through that is really enjoyable. The teacher's guides that goes with CLP are more a basic schedule than a lesson plan. It isn't scripted lesson plans like ABeka or BJU. It is a barebones outline of Lesson 1 read pgs. __-__ type thing with maybe a Bible verse to tie in or an add on to what you are learning in history. I love the 2nd grade history. It is probably my favorite. You can easily add in history pockets to get fun hands on activities for cheap. The 3rd grade history is Pioneers and Patriots which I like as well, but it is fictional stories about the time periods with tidbits of things on historical figures. I like it though.

I thought the 4th grade Child's Story of America had a definite slant to it and did not like certain sections of it. However, some of it was very good. I would not have been comfortable sending my dc off to read it without guidance on certain sections though.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I homeschooled my oldest for the 1st time in 2nd grade. I didn't know what to do and a friend told me about CLP. I didn't use any of the teacher's manuals but I did do Little Pilgrims, Pioneers and Patriots and Colonial Days books with my son. We just read through all 3 books in one year. We didn't do much else with them. We really liked the books though.

They seem so different actually.

I've got History for Little Pilgrims. My boys enjoyed the few parts we used but they like any and every book they've every encountered so that doesn't really speak to the quality. I didn't like parts because (I felt, but I think the Cathy Duffy's review mentions as well so I'm not the only one) it had a very strong Calvinist world view type bent to the text. The first part is bible and a great children's bible would be superior in my opinion. Then church history and theology is mixed throughout the history part of the book so much of it didn't work well for me. I think it would work ok for someone with a shared theology. It does have one activity suggestion for each chapter and questions/vocabulary.

I have Boys and Girls of Colonial Days and American Pioneers and Patriots. The Calvanist bent was gone but I didn't like some things about Boys and Girls of Colonial days. I felt the portrayal of Native Americans particularly was inaccurate and one sided which is strange for a current text. It has comprehension questions but no activities. Over-all, I didn't find it helpful in my history plans.

I loved American Pioneers and Patriots. It does have activity suggestions and also highlights areas (say how they made butter) at the end of each chapter that also lends itself well to additional activities. I used this one for the base of my history plans for units on the colonies and the pioneers. It was a good purchase.

They seem so different actually.

I've got History for Little Pilgrims. My boys enjoyed the few parts we used but they like any and every book they've every encountered so that doesn't really speak to the quality. I didn't like parts because (I felt, but I think the Cathy Duffy's review mentions as well so I'm not the only one) it had a very strong Calvinist world view type bent to the text. The first part is bible and a great children's bible would be superior in my opinion. Then church history and theology is mixed throughout the history part of the book so much of it didn't work well for me. I think it would work ok for someone with a shared theology. It does have one activity suggestion for each chapter and questions/vocabulary.

I have Boys and Girls of Colonial Days and American Pioneers and Patriots. The Calvanist bent was gone but I didn't like some things about Boys and Girls of Colonial days. I felt the portrayal of Native Americans particularly was inaccurate and one sided which is strange for a current text. It has comprehension questions but no activities. Over-all, I didn't find it helpful in my history plans.

I loved American Pioneers and Patriots. It does have activity suggestions and also highlights areas (say how they made butter) at the end of each chapter that also lends itself well to additional activities. I used this one for the base of my history plans for units on the colonies and the pioneers. It was a good purchase.

Thank you, this was very helpful. :)