Menu

Why Mac users are suckers.

I've had both and there are benefits to each. I must say, I could do much more downloading without thinking about my computer crashing and burning with viruses with my macbook. On the other hand, you can't beat all the different things you can put on a PC. There were many programs I couldn't put on my macbook and purchased software was also more expensive so that added in to the total cost.

I feel like PC and Mac are neck to neck with cost and functionality when you factor in everything over a long time period.

I priced out a Mac last night.

$1800 + tax.

:svengo:

I know it'll be worth it, I've spent more than that keeping this pos pc running. Its just...wowzers!

Wowzers is right!!! Are you putting a lot of extras on it? Ours was $1200. That included the wireless keyboard and mouse and all the software. It's worked fine for our family!

Only upgrade I did was the hard drive from 3.02 to 3.60...something like that. And got the 3 yr warranty.3

In fact, I turned down all the wireless stuff. My kids would hide it on one another, and that would be that. :glare:

Oh, and the Iwork pkg.

Edited by Impish

You might want to visit an apple store before you decide on the wired mouse. The wireless mouse and new trackpad thing both use guesstures (I call it petting the mouse) that make for an extra nice surfing experience. You want a pettable mouse, and I'm not sure if the wired one is. I got the wired keyboard, because I want the numeric keypad.

And if you were customizing like that, you didn't find the refurb section. With refurb, wysiwyg, but it's 15% off.

I called the store, and it seems I can get an IMac for about $200 cheaper than what I was quoted online.

Still, $1600 is $1600. A lot to come up with, esp with Christmas looming.

Its a matter of *when* we get the mac, not *if*. This pc was about $1300, and with all the repairs I've had to make, I've spent more than if I'd gone with a mac from the get go. Monitors replaced x2, keyboard x1, motherboard, battery in the motherboard, memory x3...and now the disc drive won't open. Oh, and 2 mouses.

So, we'll see.

We have two MacBook's and just got our first Mac desktop. We LOVE everything Mac. We have had pc's in the past and the ease of use and lack of frustration with Mac is phenomenal. Even our older Mac has not become obsolete, you just download the free updates and your good to go. My dh has to use pc's at work and complains all the time about how beat it is to use them.

I started off with a used eMac that cost me $350, and I was hooked!! I've never met an Apple product I didn't LOVE!!

We have had:

eMac (used for 350)

3 iBooks (all purchased used in the 400-500 range)

2 MacBooks (one bought new; one used for 700)

1 MacBook Pro (bought new with discount and free iPod touch)

1 iMac (used for 700)

Multiple iPod minis bought used

3 iPod videos (one bought new, others used)

4 shuffles (bought new)

2 nanos (1 new, one used)

5 iPhones (most bought refurbished)

4 iPhone 4s (new)

Not a single problem other than one hard drive replacement (free from Apple), and a couple of laptop batteries.

The other thing is, we have had ZERO trouble selling items when we have wanted to upgrade. My kids were all able to sell their older iPhones to get the 4s, as they were all in perfect condition. The laptops were the same way.

I will never go back to a PC!

We have 1 pc laptop, 1 Mac laptop, 2 Mac desktops and several shuffles and a ipod touch. We have never had a day of problem with our Mac's whereas my laptop can be a real pain.

Macs just work. We love that! We also love Apple camp, which is free int he summer for our kids. My son can compose on the digital piano and hook it up to the Mac and voila, a song complete with guitar, drums and other intstruments.

We may be suckers but we're happy ones.

If you want to upgrade things like hard drive or memory and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself check out the Apple Consultants Network http://consultants.apple.com/ for a local Apple consultant. Odds are they can get those things for you and install them cheaper than Apple direct. All of these people must be Apple certified and pay a yearly fee to be a part of the network so they are mostly reliable and know what they're doing.

If you live in MD or southern PA I know a guy. ;) (My DH is one)

If you want to upgrade things like hard drive or memory and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself check out the Apple Consultants Network http://consultants.apple.com/ for a local Apple consultant. Odds are they can get those things for you and install them cheaper than Apple direct. All of these people must be Apple certified and pay a yearly fee to be a part of the network so they are mostly reliable and know what they're doing.

If you live in MD or southern PA I know a guy. ;) (My DH is one)

Yeah, we have an Apple guy too :lol:, a certified tech who works with dh but we mostly just pepper him with upgrade/new product questions. He helped a lot when the power surge fried everything.

Yep. My in-house geek built me a new one recently for <$300.

Is your in-house geek also a Linux user? My 16 yo hates Windows. One of these days I'm going to get him to show me the ropes on Ubuntu. It's free, doesn't crash and can be installed on any computer. Oh, and Open Office is free.

I got the feeling the biggest issue the "friend" who wrote "Why You Shouldn't Buy a Mac" has with Apple was not as much the price, or whether or not the awesomeness of the OS is worth it, but what Apple charges for hardware upgrades. All the way down the list, that's what he's picking on. He has a point. They hook you with that OS, then stick it to you on memory, dvd drives, graphics cards etc (These are the same innards the dreaded "PC" has by the way. People toss a lot of parts that "went bad" on their PCs due to driver issues.). A 2TB hard drive @ $550? Ouch!

Darla - owner of several old PCs.

A couple notes. The "analysis" is old, and no longer reflects current pricing. Most components are now priced lower, and some, such as the price for internal hard drives, are dramatically lower. The comparison of the price of the business edition of Office offered with the Mac was to the MSRP of the home version (the price of Office is lower now as well). As with Office, the prices the author quoting for comparison's sake don't always compare apples to apples :tongue_smilie: and the author disingenuously makes some deceptive claims when he should know better, as with the RAM. The author doesn't seem to know much about high end hardware: since the top-end RAID card (internal) on Newegg is currently well over $1000, it's inconceivable it was just $300 when the the graphic was made. (I suspect the author neglected to click "More" in the price options in the Newegg side bar.) You also get what you pay for: I'm not aware of any $300 RAID card that has a 72 hour battery backup to protect the RAID cache (potentially unwritten data).

FWIW, the Pro is a screaming machine with high-end components, and not for casual users.

Is your in-house geek also a Linux user? My 16 yo hates Windows. One of these days I'm going to get him to show me the ropes on Ubuntu. It's free, doesn't crash and can be installed on any computer. Oh, and Open Office is free.

We use Ubuntu primarily (Windows crashed and stopped working on one machine, so we installed it and haven't looked back; dd has it along with Windows on her machine). I can't say enough good about it.

We use Ubuntu primarily (Windows crashed and stopped working on one machine, so we installed it and haven't looked back; dd has it along with Windows on her machine). I can't say enough good about it.

So there is a third alternative. I may just have to take the leap (and become one of the "mole people" :D).

Have you seen this?

http://www.whatyououghttoknow.com/show/2010/04/02/linux/