Menu

Why Mac users are suckers.

I <3 my Mac. We have both pc and mac in this house.

One shining example of the awesomeness of the Mac in our house:

When I upgraded my operating system to Snow Leopard: Insert disk. Hit "install now". 1 hour later I am back online and surfing the net.

Same day: dh upgrades his pc. 7 hours later he was finally done.

Well, after I got it big enough to read (on my Mac :-), I admit I didn't understand much of the technical jargon. I will take issue with this statement, however:

"After you spend three or four thousand dollars on a shiny new Mac, it’ll be obsolete within a few years, forcing you to repeat the process all over again."

So not true. We have 4 Macs. Not a one has cost close to 3 or 4 grand, and all are still going strong. The oldest is an iMac purchased 8 years ago. Sure upgrades are occasionally necessary, but that's it.

Well, I can count on zero fingers the number of problems I have had with my 4 year old MacBook. My last HP notebook lasted not even two years and crashed quite regularly. My Sony Vaio before that lasted nearly four years and also crashed frequently after the first two years.

I may be a sucker, but at least my computer works. :D

We were pc users for years. In January we bought our first MAC and we will NEVER EVER EVER go back.

I will gladly pay extra for a computer that:

(a) works consistently. It has never given me a "system not responding" message. I can't tell you how many times I had to go into task manager and close down what I was doing on my p.c.

(b) is fast. So much faster than pc's. Mac just ..... do what they are supposed to without all the drama of a p.c.

© dont have to deal with viruses.

(d) is so freakin user friendly! Trying to add a printer to our p.c. or install a software was an exercise in frustration for sure.

I recently went back to work and have to work on a p.c. I can't stand it.

We now have a MAC desktop, laptop and an IPad. If that makes me a sucker then so be it!

My last PC laptop (purchased brand new) died (complete hard drive failure) after 14 months. :glare: I got an upgraded MacBook. Not only has it only crashed once in the last year, but I think it may actually make it past the 15 month mark. :tongue_smilie:

I'll admit, I've not been completely problem free with my Mac like other users here have experienced. It's caused me a great deal of frustrations but at least it works and I've never been without a computer. An albeit temper mental one, but I can still accomplish what I need to do. I don't know how many times my PC laptop crashed and I'd be without a computer for days.

Are they worth the (much) higher cost for me? I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm not in :001_wub: with mine like a lot of other users.

If you want the best bang for the buck, go to newegg.com and buy each piece individually. Build your own PC. It's not that hard, requires no special knowledge or tools and would make an awesome homeschool project. :D

My ds made a nice desktop for just under $1,000 (including a monitor--but no OS). I don't know all the specifics, but it has a gaming worthy processor, higher end Radeon video card than what is offered there (HD 5670), and a 1 TB hard drive. He priced out ready made systems at Dell for more than double that (nevermind Mac...).

I find it interesting that whoever made this chose to use the most expensive Mac. You can get an iMac starting at $1199.

We love our Macs and wouldn't buy a PC no matter how inexpensive it would be. In the long run paying a little more and avoiding the frustration of a computer that crashes constantly and is riddled with viruses is worth it to us.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/files/2010/09/mac01.jpg

This explains it well. :lol:

Edit: *Sigh*. No resize plugin on the board? Seriously?

My Mac resized it perfectly well with a click of the mouse. No problem.

Oh, and I've never had to replace that mouse (unlike my PC mouse).

I've never had to replace a hard drive on my Mac. I've had two fatal hard drive crashes on two Dells in three years.

I have a thorough understanding of every application on my Mac, thanks to the wonderful One-to-One training I received the first year I owned it. 50 hours of one-on-one training for $79! Find that at a PC dealer.

Oh, and all my Mac applications "fit" together flawlessly. I can pull up media and data from ANY of them, and insert it into another application, all from within the receiving application, with a just a few mouse clicks. Try that on a PC.

It makes no sound, unlike the Dell sitting here next to me (my ds is using it). It sounds like a jet plane half the time.

I can think of at least 101 reasons that I'm glad I own a Mac, but I'll sum it up with one more. We have three PCs in this house (all functioning to the best of their ability). So, WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS ON MY MAC?!!

It's not too hard to figure out. :001_smile:

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

I've never had to replace a hard drive on my Mac.

I have a thorough understanding of every application on my Mac, thanks to the wonderful one-to-one training I received the first year I owned it. 50 hours of one-on-one training for $79! Find that at a PC dealer.

Oh, and all my Mac applications "fit" together flawlessly. I can pull up media and data from ANY of them, and insert it into another application, all from within the receiving application, with a just a few mouse clicks. Try that on a PC.

It makes no sound, unlike the Dell sitting here next to me (my ds is using it). It sounds like a jet plane half the time.

I can think of at least 101 reasons that I'm glad I own a Mac

Same reasons here! LOVE our macs. Our macbookpro is 4 years old and still serves us very well. Our minimac is what our dc use and it's been perfect.

What about the genius bar? Take your computer/iphone/ipad/ipod in for free and get it looked at or fixed. They don't fix every problem for free, but many times they'll clean something up.

I've never had to replace a hard drive on my Mac. I've had to fatal hard drive crashes on two Dells in three years.

I have a thorough understanding of every application on my Mac, thanks to the wonderful one-to-one training I received the first year I owned it. 50 hours of one-on-one training for $79! Find that at a PC dealer.

I can think of at least 101 reasons that I'm glad I own a Mac, but I'll sum it up with one more. We have three PCs in this house (all functioning to the best of their ability). So, WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS ON MY MAC?!!

It's not too hard to figure out. :001_smile:

Oh this is so true. Macs are so very quiet! And they don't get hot like my PC laptop used to. I thought I'd get burns from that thing. :001_huh:

My pc is over 5yrs old...I bought it when I was expecting Tazzie.

I have replaced, at least once, every.single.bit. except the tower case.

We're praying that it holds out until we can buy a Mac. I will never willingly buy a pc ever again. As it is, I've considered giving this pc to the kids...'cept I'll have to replace the disc drive, upgrade/replace memory, and heaven only knows what else so it doesn't crash umpteen times a day. Oh, and the graphics and sound card needs replacing too.

*sigh*

We made the switch last year after fighting with our PC for years. We spent $1200 and they gave us a year to pay it off interest free. (We could've paid cash, but why not keep my money as long as possible!?)

Anyway, it is the EASIEST thing to use. I LVOE, LOVE, LOVE how easy it is to download and organize my pictures. I always back them up on disks and it takes seconds compared to the HOURS I used to spend with the PC.

My kids have been making movies and they're GOOD! The Mac makes it super easy.

When typing up a document, I can send it as a Word or PDF document with the click of a button. Simple!

It never freezes. It never shuts down. It's just easy. I expect this to last usa LONG time. Money VERY well spent.

Well, I can count on zero fingers the number of problems I have had with my 4 year old MacBook. My last HP notebook lasted not even two years and crashed quite regularly. My Sony Vaio before that lasted nearly four years and also crashed frequently after the first two years.

I may be a sucker, but at least my computer works. :D

Werd. We went from the newegg.com build-you-own-PC family with a ton of PCs everywhere (because most of them crashed and were used for parts!!!) and PC laptops to having one iMac and being blissfully happy. And dh wants a MacBook for school. We did have our first iMac die, but that was due to a power surge through the phone line that also killed the router, adapter, etc, etc. The iMac held on for several months afterwards, too, just with odd issues caused by the fry job, so we replaced it ($500 on Craigslist!) rather than mess with replacing the motherboard. Which we could have, if we wanted.

Edited by LittleIzumi

(b) is fast. So much faster than pc's. Mac just ..... do what they are supposed to without all the drama of a p.c.

Pc the drama queen :lol: Fits them perfectly. We go through pcs at least once a year. To the point that we buy from the surplus store and just update parts. We've had two out of the box shiny pcs that (one is still alive) are drama drama drama. Cannot wait until a couple of more bills are paid off so I can get the mac.

If you want the best bang for the buck, go to newegg.com and buy each piece individually. Build your own PC. It's not that hard, requires no special knowledge or tools and would make an awesome homeschool project. :D

Yep. My in-house geek built me a new one recently for <$300.

Unless you're the sort of person who loves tinkering with your computer...a PC will just drive you crazy and they slow or stop working at 9-18 months out of the box depending on what you do. Or at least this is my personal experience.

I used macs years ago in Grad school and loved them but back then there were too many compatibility issues so we got into a pc cycle when buying computers. Bought an iMac this year and love it!!

I seriously doubt that the average home user needs the Pro model being described in the "ad." My iMac was certainly a lot less. It has given me no trouble, updates, installs, extra devices all work with great ease and speed. Hope I don't have to go back to a pc.

Lots of pc folks really seem angry about Apple...I'm no computer expert, I just want it to work straight from the box. Like their ads say-it just works.

We've been a Mac family for almost 20 years. We were Mac users back when Microsoft ruled the world (anybody remember that???). Now there are options and I think that's a much better way to live. :)

BTW, in those 20 years, we've had 3 Macs. Our latest one had to be replaced because of something that was our fault, not the Mac's.

Oh, and we've never paid close to $3000 for our Macs.

Edited by Rhonda in TX

We've been a Mac family for almost 20 years.

We got our first Mac in 92, it was an LCII with I think 4 mb of ram and 40mb of disk space.

Oh, and we've never paid close to $3000 for our Macs.

My husband has a loaded Mac Pro with a 27" display that cost well over $3000, but he's in advertising and needs it. Most people don't, an iMac works beautifully for under $2000.

Not sure what the op's point was. Anyone keeping up with the Geekbench and scorecard stuff knows the 27" imac with an ssd is as fast as the current bottom end mac pro but for less money. That's what I'm getting, and it's because, when I priced it out, I could have an Asus laptop pc or a 27" imac, both with ssd and 16 gig of ram, for about the same amount of money. (using 3rd party vendors for the upgrades) At that point it was pretty obvious I'd rather have that 27" screen and the mac os and the uber-cool functioning trackpad than a pc laptop, when they're the same amount of money. You have to compare apples to apples. It's rediculous to cite newegg prices, since most of us can't take the responsibility to build the computer from scratch. But yes, apples upgrades are over-priced, and yes it's possible to spend $3K on a computer from apple. Just depends on how fast you want it and how much ram you need. Going refurbished is the only thing that made mine squeek in as an option.

Our oldest Mac is nearly 5 years old and never needed anything. I mean nothing. I can't possibly tell you the last time I needed to reboot it other than updates. We have 2 iMacs, 1 MacBook, 1 MacBook Air, an iPad, 2 iPhones, one Nano and 1 old iPod that's going strong. I almost wish my iPod would flake so I could have an excuse to have one that's almost an inch thick! LOL I mean it's old... It works perfectly; like all the other Macs we own. We were a PC family before and I remember well the serious desire to throw the things out windows. It was horrible and it was that horrible within 12 months every time.

Oh, we just bought our newest iMac a few months ago and loaded it up pretty good for my husband's work. I think it was $2800 or so. And, yes, don't forget the educator's discount which we can get!

I started using Macs nearly 25 years ago. *sniff* Anyone else remember oohing and aahing over the Performa line?

I will admit to having issues with my MacBook - but that's because it's a 'recreational' computer that's being used more like a 'business' computer - I'd have the same problem no matter what the OS, given the specs.

I started using Macs nearly 25 years ago. *sniff* Anyone else remember oohing and aahing over the Performa line?

I will admit to having issues with my MacBook - but that's because it's a 'recreational' computer that's being used more like a 'business' computer - I'd have the same problem no matter what the OS, given the specs.

Our first Apple computer was a IIc. We drooled over the Performa when it first came out. When lightning took out our IIc in 1995 we bought the Performa. We couldn't get over how amazing it was.

We own 4 Macs now. The laptop I'm on now - an iBook G4 - I bought in 2007 used for $300. You don't have to spend $3000 to get a decent Mac computer.

Had to increase the text size so I could read it (easy finger pinch on my iPad :001_smile:), but my son takes issue with their points. We've had Macs since the 1980s (Mac Plus!!!). Had to get a Dell so my computer-programming son could run Windows-only programs. It's an infuriating nightmare. My sons call it the "dinky Dell" (at least when I'm around; who knows how they insult it when I'm out of earshot :D).

I find it interesting that whoever made this chose to use the most expensive Mac. You can get an iMac starting at $1199.

We love our Macs and wouldn't buy a PC no matter how inexpensive it would be. In the long run paying a little more and avoiding the frustration of a computer that crashes constantly and is riddled with viruses is worth it to us.

:iagree:

We ADORE our Mac, and it didn't cost anywhere near this. That is a top of the line, professional-grade Mac that's been configured.

My parents just bought a Mac Mini (using their existing flat-screen monitor) to replace their virus-laden 3 year old PC. It cost about $700.

We've been a Mac family for almost 20 years. We were Mac users back when Microsoft ruled the world (anybody remember that???).

Ha! Yes, do I ever remember!

We got our first Mac in 92, it was an LCII with I think 4 mb of ram and 40mb of disk space.

My dad still has the original 512 Fat Mac machine in our garage - the inside of the case is signed by all the original designers. We got our first mac in - hmmm - 1985 or 86, I think. I was still in high school, and remember LOVING it.

Now, I think if I bought anything else. . .my dad would hunt me down and cut me out of the will ;) (He works for a Mac store)

I finally gave up on PCs a year ago when my last one slowly died. I had finally had it with the several minute start up and shut down times and all of the bugs. My Mac still starts up in 20 seconds and shuts down in 5. It rarely freezes or does anything weird. And I am able to figure out how do do most things on it without too much trouble. I probably paid a bit more for it that I would have for an equivalent PC, but it has been worth every penny to not have to deal with all of the PC issues.

Just because you're forced to suffer through life with a lame-ilicous PC doesn't mean you have to be so spiteful towards us awesome Mac users ;) .

We have two Macs in the house, both are almost 5 years old, and neither is anywhere near obsolete. In addition, in that 5 years, only one of them has needed to head over to the Mac store once for minor repairs.

Neither of them cost us anywhere near $3,000 or $4,000.

They run so much better than PC's. When I'm forced to use a PC ( like at my sister's house for example ) I'm instantly driven into near insanity by the sloggy, crappily and inefficiently designed system.

I can't even imagine attempting photo editing on a PC. I'd run eagerly into death's arms before I even considered it :tongue_smilie: .

We've never, ever had a virus.

DH is so devoted to Macs he refuses to even install Microsoft Word on our Macs.

~Jenn

Edited by ShutterBug

I used a PC in the early 80s, moved to a Mac about 1985, then back to a PC in 1997, then back to a Mac in 2006. The first three options were because of men. I got to pick the last one. Mac, Mac, Mac. I only do basics on a computer, and reliable, fast, non-crashing, and bugless mean a lot to me.

My (Intel) iMac will be 5 years old come February. Aside from the original keyboard's death a couple years ago, the system works as well as the day I brought it home... and I have no plans to get another desktop in the near future. However, I do plan on purchasing an Android tablet at the end of 2011 rather than an iPad, as I've had a great experience with my Android smartphone.

Yes, my dh just has to replace his Mac's battery because it expands and destroys itself every 18 months or so.

We just replaced our Mac laptop batteries after abusing them for three years. Mine had gone through over 600 cycles (they are supposed to last for 300). We intend to keep using our laptops at least until these batteries die, so maybe six years in all. Six years of ease and convenience... Or maybe nine years... or twelve years...

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Dh convinced me to get a Mac 1 1/2 years ago when my Toshiba laptop died an unexpected death. I hesitated over the cost (the MacBook cost an extra $500 over the other laptop I was looking at), but he loved his Mac so much that I caved.

I'm glad I did. I've never crashed it, never had a virus, never had it not do something when I asked it to, and I found it much more user-friendly than the PC. I just love it. In fact, I was sent a 'sign', if you will, two months after getting my Mac... I had to boot the desktop PC to use a card-making program and had to reboot several times and then wait for an hour for updates.... I was ready to throw it out the window! I won't buy another PC again. In fact, in my mind, the extra $ was well worth it to not have any of the hassles that come with PCs!

I love my Mac so much that I joke (with all seriousness, though!) that "I WENT MAC AND I WON'T GO BACK!!" :D:D