Menu

If your kids have a trundle and/or futon...

Hm. Maybe I don't really need to worry about it.

It just depends how much a made bed means to you!:lol: I need to work on this a little and get it to be more of a habit, because I have noticed that the room gets very messy very quickly if the bed doesn't get pushed under. I think it is just like how it's easier to keep a clean house clean than to get them to clean a messy one.

Doodle has a daybed. Either the blanket gets folded and put at the head of the bed with the pillow on top or it is folded in half lengthwise and put on the bed. The blanket is full sized so when it is folded in half lengthwise, it is just right on a twin mattress. Nothing hangs over the edges.

My girls have bunk beds with a trundle but nobody sleeps on the top bunk. We can fit everything on the trundle bed under the bunk beds except the pillows which are supposed to be placed on the lower bunk's bed. But usually, they just leave the trundle bed out all day with the bed made.

I need to work on this a little and get it to be more of a habit, because I have noticed that the room gets very messy very quickly if the bed doesn't get pushed under.

Yeah, that's exactly it. If the first thing they do in the morning is straighten up their beds, it sets the tone for the rest of the day. If they have a defined space to play, nothing gets strewn. If they have to climb over the trundle to put things away, they're not going to bother. We used to have a trundle of sorts -- really just a crib mattress that we pushed under -- beneath a twin bunk, but with the futon I'm a little worried. Two non-bed things to neaten up? I worry.

• 1 month later...

My son has the twin over the futon and since the futon is rarely made into the couch he just makes his bed as normal. When he had a trundle bed, we had to take the top sheet and any blankets off the get the mattress to slid under. Those were folded and put on the top bed then.