Menu

My son's dorm received the Black Dot!

Nicole M

And according to the comments on his facebook page, he is apparently the only resident who knows what the reference is. I am curious to know what will happen.

Whenever my boys were discouraged about the difficulty of our reading, or questioning our course of action, I would say, "Gentlemen, trust me. It will be worth it in the end, because with a classical education, you will get more jokes." Et voila! I am vindicated!

Edited by Nicole M

Whoops! I should have said Black SPOT, not dot. In Treasure Island, the pirates who are doomed will receive the black spot, a piece of paper with the spot on it.

It was a source of much fear because it meant the pirate was to be deposed as leader, by force if necessary--or else killed outright. In Treasure Island, Billy Bones is much frightened by it but remains determined to outwit his enemies; however he suffers a stroke caused by the consumption of spirituous liquor and dies.[2] Later Long John Silver receives the spot, but is calm enough to notice that it has been torn out from a Bible, and warns his associates of the ill luck this will bring upon them.[3]

From this Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Spot_%28Treasure_Island%29

ah, okay. See, my oldest would have gotten that as he's read the book (I haven't).

I didn't read the whole thing, so I may not have gotten it either, except that when my boys were very small, they would occasionally deliver a Black Spot to ME! You know, when I unfairly asked them to clean their room when they were involved with serious play or whatever.... :D

I didn't read the whole thing, so I may not have gotten it either, except that when my boys were very small, they would occasionally deliver a Black Spot to ME! You know, when I unfairly asked them to clean their room when they were involved with serious play or whatever.... :D

:lol: Seriously, Nicole, how could you demand such things of those sweet, precious boys? :lol:

I'm with JudoMom. Your angelic, well-read boys would never do such a thing. About The Lottery, dd made me promise not to make either of the boys read it. :tongue_smilie:

I'm with JudoMom. Your angelic, well-read boys would never do such a thing. About The Lottery, dd made me promise not to make either of the boys read it. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, yes, dear, they would, with great seriousness and solemnity, present me with the Black Spot.

I remember where I was and what I was wearing, and everything about everything when I read that horrid Lottery. Camping. Hey! Maybe that is why I never really got the knack of camping! Yeah, that's it!

Well said Nan. Yikes Laura, what are the odds our dc can find other dc who get all the history and literary references and jokes and then pass it on to the next generation?

No one gets many of his jokes. Even people at school who have a similar sensibility are just not well-read/culturally literate. It's hard to squeeze in much reading if you spend hours on Facebook every night.....

Laura

All I can think is better a black spot than black mold!

Regards,

Kareni

Agh! Kareni, that is a horrifying thought. I remember a few guy friends' dorm rooms that came frightfully close to achieving that standard. If one leaves partly finished beer bottles out for any length of time...

Oh never mind. That's green mold. Phew! Saved.:D

Agh! Kareni, that is a horrifying thought. I remember a few guy friends' dorm rooms that came frightfully close to achieving that standard. If one leaves partly finished beer bottles out for any length of time...

Oh never mind. That's green mold. Phew! Saved.:D

Beer? Remember who we're talking about here. Well Trained Children do not drink beer, honey.

;)

Aaaaaaahhhhh! He's a marked man!!!!!!!

I know! And The Dragon Academy, who lives spitting distance (okay, in the same town) as the college, assured me it's a safe place!!!

But maybe if the spot was marked on a page torn from the Bible, there's hope. He sent a picture to my phone, but it's such a tiny image, I can't really tell...!

You're absolutely right, Nicole. In keeping with the black spot motif, they would have to quaff ale or rum.

Regards,

Kareni

:D

Rum. Hmm. My son used to request "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!" as one of his bedtime songs every night, along with "drunken sailor." That got me to thinking maybe he is involved with this plot in some way....