Menu

Vent.... Food Stamp EBT Card

I think food stamps should be restricted. If you really need the help you do not need junk food. I do not think the government can restrict what you spend your own money on, but other peoples money yes they should.

Well, considering the government is the one who APPROVES all that junk food for sale and "human consumption".... and the EBT rules do say you can buy any food that is "prepared for human consumption" (aside from hot and ready-to-eat food like Rotisserie chickens) .... I think it would be pretty hard for them to come back and say you can't buy THIS food because it's not good for you. ;)

Someone somewhere is abusing the system right this second. It's a universal human truth unfortunately.

Jen

I agree. What I find offensive is this, "Well, it's okay if it's one of US, a homeschooling mom, who is using welfare/WIC/government assistance, but not people who DONT"T WANT TO WORK!"

And I ask, in one of those totally, brutally honest moments, what's so different about someone, say, from the "other" side of town who is able bodied, healthy, young, and CAN work, but chooses not to, maybe because she can't find adequate, safe, affordable child care, maybe because it's become a way of life, whatever, and a homeschooling mom who is able bodied, CAN work, but chooses not to because she's homeschooling?

I see threads here from women whose husbands have lost jobs, taken pay cuts, what have you, and are on the verge of losing their house, having to apply for assistance, going through all these heart wrenching family/life situations, yet make the choice to stay home and homeschool rather than supplement the family's income. Maybe they all have tried. I don't know. But I do know that if my family were in danger of not knowing where the next meal is coming from, I'd do whatever I could, including giving up homeschooling if only temporarily and getting a job so that I could feed them.

I am not saying these folks are not entitled to the assistance. Nor am I saying that they abuse it. I"m very glad that they have it. There but for the grace of God go I.

I work. I'd love to be able to stay home and homeschool full time, but I can't. I'm fortunate to have my mom help out with the homeschooling, but no, I don't make oatmeal in the crock pot, keep a perfectly clean house, make everything from scratch every day, or even keep up with the laundry for a family of four. I do the best I can. Most days it's good enough, some days it's just not.

Again, this is not a condemnation of anyone whose using public assistance. Just my thoughts on a late evening, while exhausted from working three jobs, homeschooling, and keeping up with life.

astrid

We have no food banks here at all.

It just doesn't make sense to waste tax dollars on mailings and a card if they are not even going to approve you.

Maybe sending the card is cheaper than coping with all the phone calls from people who say "okay, I'm approved, WHERE IS MY CARD??"

No food bank? What a great thing to start once you're kids are older and you're on your feet.

There is absolutely no difference, Astrid.

I agree, no difference. The only people that I get irritated at are those cheating the system. They do exist, but they aren't the majority.

I think it is just as hard for a single mom to "get a job" as it is a homeschool mom. I *have* given up homeschooling (mostly - ds 12 is still at home for now.) I will be getting a job, a regular full-time job, in the next year.

I can make way more than minimum wage, though. If all I could make was $7.25-10.00 an hour, it probably wouldn't pay in the end. There aren't many jobs here that pay more than that and most seem to want open availability. Add in afterschool childcare at $75 a week per child (and the state won't subsidize care for dc over 6) and you have a situation where it isn't worth working for many people. Have to work nights at a time when dh is working too? *All* of your pay will go for a babysitter!

I can't babysit, either, as I can't take them all with me and no one is going to pay me to take care of their dc here!

I have gotten a job, but I have figured out that I will make enough to make it worth my while for that 3 months (tax season.) It isn't easy for the majority, though, and I can understand that.

I agree, no difference. The only people that I get irritated at are those cheating the system. They do exist, but they aren't the majority.

I think it is just as hard for a single mom to "get a job" as it is a homeschool mom. I *have* given up homeschooling (mostly - ds 12 is still at home for now.) I will be getting a job, a regular full-time job, in the next year.

I can make way more than minimum wage, though. If all I could make was $7.25-10.00 an hour, it probably wouldn't pay in the end. There aren't many jobs here that pay more than that and most seem to want open availability. Add in afterschool childcare at $75 a week per child (and the state won't subsidize care for dc over 6) and you have a situation where it isn't worth working for many people. Have to work nights at a time when dh is working too? *All* of your pay will go for a babysitter!

Yup! I actually quit my job right before I had the new baby knowing we would at least temporarily need food stamps, but it was so dh could go to school full-time in the evenings while he continues to work full-time during the day so we could get out of this never-ending brokeness that we were already in. Childcare for three kids would pretty much take my paycheck right back if I did try to keep working, as none of my kids are school-aged. I could work for a take-home of maybe $200-300 a month (which is not enough for us to all eat with anyway, so we might still have needed assistance!) after all is considered with my kids in daycare full-time, or I could be home with them and teach them. And very soon after I quit, they announced my entire department was being outsourced and I would have been out of a job anyway. At least this way we paid off all debt except student loan & mortgage before I quit. I do plan to start trying to tutor & edit freelance or for a Website after the holidays, when ds is a little less newborn, to help. Hopefully that will pan out, as even a tiny bit of that a month will bring in as much take-home as I would have gotten working while dh is in school & working and if I do well enough, we can drop the foodstamps entirely.

In so many cases, once taxes are off the pay, and the sitter is paid, there's very little at the end of it. And once you subtract the cost of transportation, clothes (if need be), chances are you're paying for the privilege of working, not actually bringing home any money.

Someone mentioned how in Philadelphia they give free lunches to everyone. That was the same thing in Albuquerque. One of my girls attended Girl Scout day camp held at a local park and I didn't need to send lunch because everybody at that park got free lunch. It wasn't just that park; all over the city at different parks and rec centers in the summer they served free lunch. At ones in actual poor areas of town, they also had free breakfast.

In so many cases, once taxes are off the pay, and the sitter is paid, there's very little at the end of it. And once you subtract the cost of transportation, clothes (if need be), chances are you're paying for the privilege of working, not actually bringing home any money.

Yes. Just talking to some ladies who are working for $9 an hour. They get govt assistance for a babysitter (to the tune of $1.50 an hour); they chip in the rest of it. What a great arrangement.

Yes. Just talking to some ladies who are working for $9 an hour. They get govt assistance for a babysitter (to the tune of $1.50 an hour); they chip in the rest of it. What a great arrangement.

The subsidy thing depends on the state - in NC, they required that you pay 8% of your gross. Here in FL, you pay 6%, but they don't offer subsidy for kids over 6 and finding a center can be hard. Here, especially, many jobs require that you work nights and childcare then can be hard to find as well.

Sometimes you can find alternate arrangements - family, friends who you trade child care with, etc. Sometimes you can't. Obviously people who can make more money do better - with what I am making for tax season I will be able to pay for childcare, but I really hope I come out at the end with something to show for it!:lol:

I hated to apply for this. Really. It took me a long time to even get up the courage to do it. We have no food banks here at all. And I have no family to help. My friends are all in the same boat.:confused:

From what the worker told me, everyone gets a card and a pin number regardless if you qualify or not. If you apply, then send you a card. Her theory is that if you are approved, then can just go ahead and deposit the money into your card.

What bothers me about this food card, is that you can actually use it for liquor and gambling!!!!! OMG!!!

Now obviously I wouldn't be doing that. It irritates me that it is even allowed!!!

It just doesn't make sense to waste tax dollars on mailings and a card if they are not even going to approve you.

Wow. Here in TX, they do not do that. You have to see a social worker in person (long wait) and produce documents about your banking, work, unemployment, utilities, etc. Only after being grilled in person, does the social worker then decide you qualify. She takes you next door to a room where you are fingerprinted/livescanned and photographed and then issued a food stamp card with a PIN. TX gives out $160-170 per person a month in food stamp aid. You have to reapply every 6 months. But no cash, deli, alcohol, or gambling is allowed on the EBT Lone Star Card. Food groceries only.

It's pretty bad here...most women with young children can't make a dime working. Childcare is $3.00 an hour per child (in home, small daycares) and more than that for a preschool. If one can find a job (not around here - our unemployment rate in this county is 22%) it will be at least an hour's drive away. So with gas at $3.00 per gallon and two hours per day of commuting so two more hours of childcare, plus witholding from every check, in most cases the mom can't clear any money from working and if anything, ends up in the hole. Jobs for more than minimum wage are not to be had regardless of your education, training, or experience.

Faith

We're in a similar situation as others have mentioned. Because our income qualifies us for the MFIP program, my husband can work 20 hours a week at minimum wage for the state, which is considered job training. If I work more than the ten to fifteen hours a week I'm doing now, or if I get a significant raise, we won't qualify for the program anymore, and my husband will lose his job. So the only option we have is if dh finds a full-time, well-paying job, and he's been looking for over a year now. Otherwise, we'll have even less than we do now. And I can't work much more anyway due to my epilepsy (and I can't get disability because I can't take the medication- argh). So I quite literally can't go out and get a full-time job.

Even if I could though, I wouldn't. The daycares around here are unbelievably bad. Most are abusive, but they don't get shut down because they're cheap and have waiting lists for desperate clients. And with my dd's special needs (she has mobility and speech issues, so she can't tell us if someone hurts her) there's no way I'd put her there.

Someone mentioned how in Philadelphia they give free lunches to everyone. That was the same thing in Albuquerque. One of my girls attended Girl Scout day camp held at a local park and I didn't need to send lunch because everybody at that park got free lunch. It wasn't just that park; all over the city at different parks and rec centers in the summer they served free lunch. At ones in actual poor areas of town, they also had free breakfast.

They do this in our city as well during the summer. The neighbourhood kids could go be "signed up" at the park, spend the day supervised, and receive free lunches. I was amazed as this was such a different community attitude from our previous state.