Menu

Need sweet Christmas movies for 7 yr olds.

Guest TheBugsMom

I always watch Meet Me in ST. Louis, even though only the last quarter is Christmas related. Just hearing Judy Garland sing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" adds to the holiday. My dd(6 ) has seen snipits of it that I have played for her...like the Halloween scene, and she cannot wait to see the whole movie.

It may be PG but ELF is awesome! It is the only Will Farrell movie that I can stand!

How about Home Alone-- but if he is sensitive, I don't know. My kids adore it!

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Burl Ives voice still takes me back to childhood)

The original Miracle on 34th Street

Little Women

A Christmas Story

Polar Express!

Muppet Family Christmas

The Santa Clause

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon -- Jim Carey's is creepy!)

Cat in the Hat can be cute at Christmas

Alvin and the Chipmunks seems Christmasy, too :-)

Edited by 3littlekeets

one of my favourite christmas movies as a little kid was Santa Claus: The Movie ~ which got terrible reviews and most people i mention it to have never heard of it. :laugh:

we love this movie!!!:D

what about miracle on 34th street. the littlest angel is also cute. the santa clause was funny. also, classic cartoons like santa claus is coming to town,rudolph, frosty...at least i liked those when i was 7. i think there is an american girl christmas movie too...can't remember the name, but it was good!

oh hey - what about the classic christmas shows?

Rudolph

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Twas The Night Before Christmas (this is the one with the mice and the clocktower - it's my dh's fave "from childhood" christmas cartoon

How The Grinch Stole Christmas

Frosty The Snowman

The Little Drummer Boy

The Year Without A Santa Claus

A Muppet Family Christmas

I used to love "Magic Gift of the Snowman".

It is not rated, so not sure if it'll be okay for your little guy. Here is the story line though:

This is the story of two children, a little boy named Landon and his little sister Emery Elizabeth, who's been ill and very delicate for quite some time. The doctor warns the children's parents that Emery Elizabeth is growing weaker and weaker each passing day and that she'll be lucky if she makes it until Christmas. Down-hearted with the horrible news, Landon tries to comfort himself by going outside and building a snowman, who eventually becomes their guidance into a great adventure. In an attempt to get his sister to eat well and rest when she needs to, Landon promises Emery Elizabeth that he will tell her a magnificent story about an enchanted winter wonderland if she does what the doctor wants her to do in order to get well. Emery Elizabeth, excited about a grand story about Princess Electra and her kingdom, agrees to eat her oatmeal and to take her needed naps. Landon introduces his sister to their new friend Snowden, the snowman he had just built, and tells her of a wonderful kingdom ruled by the Princess Electra where there are no grown-ups, only children who can play all day long in a place where there's always fresh snow on the ground. In their imagination, Landon and his sister join Snowden into that kingdom where Emery Elizabeth slowly finds joy and a new reason for living. One night during their visit, they are told by Snowden that the wicked Charlatan, the ruler of Yuck, has stolen Princess Electra's smile, therefore casting great sadness and despair over the children in the enchanted land that has now become more than a place in the imagination. Now, with newly found inner strengths, Emery Elizabeth, Landon and Snowden travel to the horrid kingdom of Yuck, where Christmas candy and sweets are transformed into revolting "yuck", and must defeat the wicked Charlatan in order to restore happiness to Princess Electra's kingdom once more.

I was also a sensitive child, but had no problem with this movie.

You would have to buy it on VHS or DVD though from Amazon. I haven't seen it in stores for awhile and it is not available on Netflix.

I also enjoyed The Nutcracker Prince.

That is rated "G".

Every year we watch Eloise at Christmas. It's about a 6yo who lives in the Plaza hotel in NYC with her nanny (Julie Andrews!) and all the trouble she gets into and back out of. It's wonderful! "I'm Eloise and I'm six!!" I think it's from Eloise at the Plaza though.

As an aside, we saw in Parade magazine last week that the girl who played Eloise is now in college!

I second all the classic holiday cartoons and claymation shows. If you've never seen Nester the Long Eared Donkey, though, be warned, it will likely upset a sensitive child. When I was little, I cried every time I saw it and my mom told me I couldn't watch it anymore. I got a copy as an adult and cried and cried again. I still cry. It's sweet, but sad and always gets me. Any of the the other classics should be good though.

i too like the claymation movies, and i also have sesitive kids as well. up was not great for them and barnyard was awful as was happy feet *very scary birds, lol and seal attacks. but they will watch national geographic stuff.

my 8 year old son loves american girl movies (not christmas but i thought i would through that in!)

good luck, amy

When I was little, I loved a Charlie Brown Christmas. If you get it, be sure and watch the commentary. The network hated it, but were stuck. It had a huge audience draw, and as most know, became a christmas fixture ever after.

The Best Christmas Pagent Ever with Loretta Swit. the little girl narrates what's happening. funny, and poignant. A movie for the whole famliy.

The Muppet Christmas Carol. It's an introduction to Dicken's, but hey, it's the *Muppets*. Kermit is bob cratchet, and piggie is Mrs. cratchet. Michael Caine is scrooge.

Edited by gardenmom5

Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas

Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey

ETA: I just skimmed through and saw that both of these have been mentioned already, and that Nestor came with a warning in a previous post. It's incredibly sweet, but, yes, sad (Emmet Otter is somewhat sad, too, but ends on a happy note). However, my 7 yr old dd adores Nestor. I have a much harder time with the sadness of it than she does. Nestor and the Snow Miser/Heat Miser movies are her favorites.

Edited by kimmie38017

Our favorites:

How the Grinch stole Christmas(cartoon)

Mickey's Christmas Carol

Small One

Muppets Christmas Carol

Polar Express

Veggie Tales: St. Nicholas

I just ordered Veggie Tales: It's a Meaningful Life

It's a wonderful Life

The Nativity Story

Elf

Ernest Saves Christmas

Miracle on 34th St.

The Santa Clause

I know there is more, but they aren't coming to my mind right now.