Menu

Having math troubles

East Coast Sue

My dd is having some math troubles. She has completed LOF Fractions, Decimals & Percents, and she is well into LOF Beginning Algebra. She needs more reinforcement of math skills (word problems with division, multiplication, order of operations, etc...)

I'm thinking of getting the Mammoth Math Blue series to help reinforce some of the basic concepts. For those who have dealt with similar issues, would Mammoth Math be an appropriate source for review? I like it because it is not going to have a particular grade level on the cover (which would be a plus with my dd) and it is affordable.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Sue

We are using Lial's BCM (8th ed.). It is a book used frequently for pre-algebra. It is written to the student, and covers EVERYTHING starting with addition of whole numbers and goes through basic algebra, geometry, and statistics.

My dd (7th grade) does word problems daily, and they are challenging. I'm sure some would find them easier/harder than we do based on maturity and understanding math. Many of the word problems are multi-step.

This is a possible source you could use, and you can buy it and the solutions manuel (which works out the odd exercises problems and all review/test problems for you) at resonable prices. I bought mine on Amazon.

You may not have known this but Life of Fred now has 2 Pre-Algebra books, they are excellent. The first one introduces Pre-Algebra with biology, The second Pre-Algebra focuses mainly on word problems (which seems to be what you are looking for). If your dd did well with Life of Fred I would highly recommend taking a look at them! My dd is using them right now and loving them.

Guest learninmom

We are using Math Mammoth (dark blue series) to review some of the foundations this year also. We find them very good for review (even of fractions, etc). My son has also done the LOF fractions and decimals but we decided to do review this year and start Algebra next year.

If you are looking mostly for word problems there are very few in the books, so these probably would not help you. You can contact Maria (the author) through her website and she is very quick about getting back to you and I find very helpful if you are unsure of which book to choose.

HTH,

Shelli

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My dd is having some math troubles. She has completed LOF Fractions, Decimals & Percents, and she is well into LOF Beginning Algebra. She needs more reinforcement of math skills (word problems with division, multiplication, order of operations, etc...)

I'm thinking of getting the Mammoth Math Blue series to help reinforce some of the basic concepts. For those who have dealt with similar issues, would Mammoth Math be an appropriate source for review? I like it because it is not going to have a particular grade level on the cover (which would be a plus with my dd) and it is affordable.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Sue

That is why the author of LOF wrote Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology and Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics (which is specifically focused on word problems). I would back up and complete these before resuming Beginning Algebra.