Menu

What do you require of your Teen before getting there license?...

DD will be getting her license sometime next year. There are a few things we are requiring of her before we will allow her to get a license. I am curious as to what others require of their Teens beforehand. We definately want her to be responsible and have experience behind the wheel, but I am not talking about that. I have listed a few examples below. There are a few others we have but this will give an idea as to what I am asking for.

For example:

She needs to have a job

Learn to change a flat tire

Learn to use jumper cables

Learn to check the fluids in her car.

thanks!

Edited by twoblessings
more info.

i'm not sure what you mean in terms of "requirements" ... ?

dd13 will be "required" to pass the written test to get her permit...and "required" to pass the road test to get her license... but i can't think of anything offhand that we would "require" of her - aside from the usual stuff like being ready to do it & not pulling attitudes. :p

(ds12 won't be driving due to his disabilities)

Funny. I was just chatting with a friend on Facebook about this. My ds can start driver's training in January. And, around here, there's a lot of highway driving where people usually drive at least 15 over the speed limit. I'm very nervous.

I wasn't thinking of anything beyond the legal requirements for him though. I guess driving will be treated like any other privilege in this house - it CAN be taken away!!!

Well, it will be a while before my kids can drive but they will be required to know how to change a tire (there are still places without cell phone reception) and what all of the warning lights on the dash mean (as well as what to do when they come on).

They will also be required to take a self defense class because being able to drive means they will be going out alone to unknown places (even good kids lie to their parents).

and what all of the warning lights on the dash mean (as well as what to do when they come on).

:iagree: Even after teaching the eldest just this, he still ignored the oil light and froze his engine block. :tongue_smilie: My biggest requirement is that I'm not longer afraid when they drive and feel like I have to be on watch. I can daydream out the window, read a book, make a grocery list, etc. without a worry while they are driving.

Well, it will be a while before my kids can drive but they will be required to know how to change a tire (there are still places without cell phone reception) and what all of the warning lights on the dash mean (as well as what to do when they come on).

They will also be required to take a self defense class because being able to drive means they will be going out alone to unknown places (even good kids lie to their parents).

Self Defense.... I like it! I will check around for classes. I hadn't thought of that one.

Thanks!

This. He will have his learner's permit for a year before he can get his license.

I want him to have lots and lots of experience driving on all kinds of roads. The only think I'll make him do that I can think of is learn how to skid to a stop on a wet road and how to cut the wheels to stop a skid (we'll do that in a wide parking lot) and learn how to brake on a snow packed road.

DD took a defensive driving class as part of her requirements. I forgot to metion it in the original post. They taught what to do on wet roads if you start skiddiing it was really neat. It is an organization that travels the country and teach teens defensive driving. It is for free. DD will do it again when they come to our area. You can find out more here:

http://www.driversedge.org/

Nothing beyond legal requirements, my comfort with their driving abilities, reading the owners' manuals of each car, and treating driving as a privilege. He can read how to change a flat tire because it is different on each vehicle. Just because ds has his license doesn't mean he has free reign to drive. Since he does not have his own car, he still has to use ours and we can refuse him. We usually don't because when he takes the car, he is usually making our life easier in that we don't have to drive him:). He can't go joyriding with friends because of the restrictions on his license for the first year (only one non-family member in the car.) Some days, he has to get up early and take dh to work so he can have a car later in the day when I need it also. This means we have to make arrangements for dh to get a ride (sometimes I pick him up and other times, he bums a ride from a co-worker.)

We're also going with our state's legal requirements and our own determination of ds's level of responsibility and readiness. In our state he has to have his permit for a year, driver's ed, 40 hours of experience (including night driving and parking), and Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program certification.

We have friends who require their dc to memorize a certain amount of Bible scripture before they can get their licenses.

Cinder