Menu

What toys/games/magazines/etc do your 6 year olds (boy/girl) love? Need gift ideas!

My kids birthday is next month (and then Christmas too!) and I have pretty much zilch on my list. I usually have great ideas for them each year and am just feeling completely clueless about this age. Please let me know what your kids love and why! Or what you love for them! They're turning 6; two boys and one girl.

Thank you in advance!

I have girls, but I think these would be good for either:

Caves and Claws

Secret Door

Even I enjoy playing these! Play food and kitchenware and play silks have been long-time favorites here as well. Our Thinking Putty has been fun (in spite of the accident with our brand new couch :glare:). My older DD started using her Alex sewing kit around that age and still loves it. Our Alex spin art kit was also a lot of fun until we ran out of paper (need to get more!). For Christmas, everyone's getting new robes and slippers. I'm also buying these Hello Kitty walkie talkies for inside the stockings. Your boys may balk at Hello Kitty, but they got the best reviews on Amazon. (If you do decide to get them, some reviewers had a problem where the walkies didn't work at all, even with fresh new batteries, but those who got working ones LOVED them, so my plan is to buy them at Target, open them and test them before Christmas, and then return them to the store if it turns out they don't work.)

HTH!

ETA: At that age (and even now with DD8) Play-doh tubs and sets still figured heavily into our gift giving. Paints/paper/brushes too.

Snap Circuits; Think Fun Rush Hour Jr.; Apples to Apples Kids; Monopoly Jr.

Power Rangers & Batman and so forth action figures

Toy dinosaurs for DD

Barbie and G.I. Joe & accessories

Jesus "action figure"

Crayons, drawing pads, Shrinky Dinks, Model Magic, washable Tempura Paint, brushes, paint containers, artists pallets

Kid-sized bakeware set (the real stuff that can be used)

Kids sewing craft (make a stuffed dolphin)

Stickers

Spirograph

Stamp kit

Bicycles with helmets and pads, skates, balls, basketballs

Legos, Duplos, Knex

Playmobil sets

Dolls, accessories, clothes

Dress up stuff -- including fabric yardage, costumes

Power Rangers stuff

Kids music

Stuffed animal each

Video each

Little Tikes Log Cabin play house

Stuff for play kitchen : food, etc.

Books

Puzzles

Hand puppets

Bath Toys

Over the years, I bought a lot of stocking stuffers and toys here:

http://www.kidsurplus.com/

They are moving and their website has hardly anything on it. After Nov. 9, I hope they will be back up with their usual huge selection of wonderful toys and stocking stuffers.

Edited by RoughCollie

My kids birthday is next month (and then Christmas too!) and I have pretty much zilch on my list. I usually have great ideas for them each year and am just feeling completely clueless about this age. Please let me know what your kids love and why! Or what you love for them! They're turning 6; two boys and one girl.

Thank you in advance!

Imaginext gets played with nearly daily here, and has for years and years.

At that age, my son was starting to get "seriously" into Lego. He also loved (and still loves) Magnetix. My fil gave him a Leapster for xmas that year and that was a big hit. The other thing was that he couldn't get enough crayons and drawing paper. LOL!

My dd will be 6 on Sunday. Some of her favorites right now are Ask magazine, legos, Rat a Tat Cat, playmobil, and crafts of any kind. She's getting an 18" doll for her bday from us, and a jewelry box from grandma, doll clothes from other grandparents.

If they don't have mp3 players yet, that's what I get all the nieces & nephews at this age. You can get pretty durable ones for $25, and my dc use them a lot.

toys:

Littlest Pet Shop toys

toy horses of any size

kid-sized cook/bakeware (she likes this because it's all her own)

art supplies - block crayons are a hit recently, as is anything involving scissors, tape, glue, etc

stuffed animals, especially puppies

dollhouse and accessories

games:

Life (we have a version from the 1960s that I much prefer to the new one)

Sum Swamp

Somebody

magazines:

Your Big Backyard

Ranger Rick

She's been asking for Bananagrams, a toy cash register, trips to the zoo and rodeo, gymnastics lessons (and a new leotard to go with them), and more dress up costumes (firefighter, Alice in Wonderland, Ponyo, and a dalmatian).