Menu

Does Anybody use MFW (the whole program)

I have been looking at this more and more and I am really starting to love this to the point I am considering it. I use alot of it already, and I have some other books that go along with it. So I am wondering how people like this as a whole. As of right now I am planning on using their history for my now 7th grader when she is in high school. Any thoughts on this? This would be weird for me because I am in no way a boxed curriculum person- although I guess this is a bit different. Thoughts? Thanks

:bigear:

We're just starting out with MFW, but I know others IRL who have stuck with it long term. I look at so much stuff, but I just keep coming back to MFW. We'll be doing an American history intro. (Adventures) with MFW next year. I'm looking for the first grade curr. used so that we can do the time line and bible stories/narration and other things on the side and for however long it takes us. Looking forward to the replies on this thread. BTW, there are a lot of threads about MFW if you haven't already done a search!!

I am going to do all of Adventures with my 1st grader next year. I am doing Sonlight Core K this year and am doing 3+4 with my older and really wanted something to go along with the American that I am doing with him, and this fit the bill. Looking forward to doing the Bible together and will probably let him "teach" her the science part of it, since he loves science. (He'll be in 5th grade next year).

I am going to do all of Adventures with my 1st grader next year. I am doing Sonlight Core K this year and am doing 3+4 with my older and really wanted something to go along with the American that I am doing with him, and this fit the bill. Looking forward to doing the Bible together and will probably let him "teach" her the science part of it, since he loves science. (He'll be in 5th grade next year).

My catalog and the site recommends Adv. for an advanced 1st grader who is "reading and writing well" or a second or third grader who is the oldest in the family. I'm thinking the full work load in ECC (the first level in the 5 yr. cycle) is more appropriate for fourth grade and up?? Anyways, let us know how it works out, will ya?!

Edited by mommyjen

been using MFW since 2003 and love it. I even use their recommendations for language arts and math too. What kind of questions do you have?

here's my "mfw usage history"

oldest is in MFW high school year 1. She started MFW in 2nd grade with ECC because Adventures wasn't written yet. So, she go to repeat ECC in 7th and CTG in 8th. Works well for us.

Middle gal: did pre K, K, 1st, parts of ADV with science and Bible one summer, EX1850 younger supplement, 1850MOD youngest supplement, ECC, CTG, currently in RTR.

Youngest has autism, but did great with Pre K, K, 1st. She's doing a year of 3 r's focus and speech therapy right now so not much in history stuff. Plan to fold her in next year in EX1850 with the supplement (or just do ADV with her....)

Most of my stories are on mfw's message board.

Here is an archived post I wrote a couple of years ago (I'm cbollin on that board too)

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3149

but wow... I have a ton of posts over there.... plenty here too. I tend to talk mostly about mfw over here on my posts just because it's easy to talk about stuff that works.

It's really been an answer to prayer for our family.

Just enough of everything in the program to get lots done, and have time to do other things. My oldest is a strong academic kiddo and plenty in the program for her.

Hoping that dhudson (dawn) and Julie in MN and Donna A might see this thread. They've used MFW for many years like I have. Dawn has really really smart and academically strong children. (not that the rest of us don't, but she has the testing and evaluation reports to back it up ;)

-crystal

sounds like fun! remember in ADV, if you need to adjust the writing for the 1st grader, it's ok. I guess I'm reading this as your older will do SL 3 and 4 for history, and the 1st grader will do ADV for history to match the theme? ADV will be "very light" for a 5th grader ;)

but I could just be reading your post wrong. I should go exercise and get my brain in gear before reading. :lol:

-crystal

I have used MFW for a long time too and I really love it.

I have researched most of the other curriculua out there and keep finding that MFW is the best one for us. It is really very wonderful.

Right now we are doing 1850-modern. We are memorizing the states and capitals, listening to SOTW and doing the activity guide as well as many other great books on the period, memorizing scriptures, reading the Patricia St.John bible book, learning and listening to the music of Souza and Foster, reading Across Five Aprils, eating food of the time, doing timeline work, working on info on ALL the states and presidents and listening to and learning about hymns. MAN, I LOVE THIS CURRICULUM!

ETA: I do my own math and English (I'm a PR buddy)--you have do do what works for you on that front. Also, know this! I am not generally a boxed curriculum person (on the inside!) but MFW is so well put together and it is so tweakable and the schedule is so tweakable that I could not do any better. ALSO, I am NOT behind. When I look at some of my friends who put thier own stuff together, they do not get it done. I have almost completed the histroy cycle with a year of geography in there. I feel like MFW just keeps me tracking!

Edited by Momma H

I have used MFW since mine were in pre-school ( with one year doing my own thing with my oldest and then jumping back to sanity the next year). I have used all of the MFW programs except for high school which we are moving into next year.

I love the classical method and MFW gives me the classical feel with a doable TM and a great Bible program.

I have looked extensively at other high school programs but MFW has enough of the great books, still follows a 4 year history cycle, good writing projects and has them read the complete Bible with a year of Worldview Training.

I am planning on modifying it for my 1st grader. It only has "read-alouds" and book basket time, so I figure I'll do all the difficult reading, then I can select easy picture books or easy readers that go along with our material. I plan on modifying the state sheets to more cut and paste activities.

We using ADV and K.

I resisted MFW for many years. Somehow, every year, I would end up on their site, but just did not see the benefit of a "packaged" curriculum. I usually had our science picked out, and didn't want to budge on that, and thus didn't think I would want to pay for just using history with MFW.

I have gotten catalogs from MFW for many years, but again, just didn't think it would work for us.

THEN this past year, was looking for Am History for 2nd grade, and landed at MFW again! Stop and took a closer look. Decided it was perfect for us. Then was shopping for K, looked again at MFW, and it was what I am looking for.

11 weeks into it, and we love it. I love it! My children are doing great with it.

My plan now is to continue the whole cycle. Older two will do ECC next year, with younger DS tagging along. Then oldest DS will split off and doing MFW High School while younger two doing the rest of MFW cycle.

Note: Just a note of caution, someone posted about their 1st grader doing ECC. You may want to look closer as it really is not recommended to use ECC for that young, if it is the oldest child in the house. They created Adventures for that purpose, to give the child a bridge year for ECC. Oh, wait, did you say you were doing Adv with a 1st grader? Hmm, can't remember now!

I am planning on using the state sheets that Paige (from elemental science - the science we use - which is wonderful btw) created and has on her yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elemental_science/

There is a spot for the flag, seal, quarter of each state that you just cut and paste. I think my dd will be able to handle that, then she can just narrate to me what she has learned from the state. I also got a book of "state sheets" from the dollar section of Target that are REALLY easy. So, I figure between the two of those, she'll be covered.

We using ADV and K.

I resisted MFW for many years. Somehow, every year, I would end up on their site, but just did not see the benefit of a "packaged" curriculum. I usually had our science picked out, and didn't want to budge on that, and thus didn't think I would want to pay for just using history with MFW.

I have gotten catalogs from MFW for many years, but again, just didn't think it would work for us.

THEN this past year, was looking for Am History for 2nd grade, and landed at MFW again! Stop and took a closer look. Decided it was perfect for us. Then was shopping for K, looked again at MFW, and it was what I am looking for.

11 weeks into it, and we love it. I love it! My children are doing great with it.

My plan now is to continue the whole cycle. Older two will do ECC next year, with younger DS tagging along. Then oldest DS will split off and doing MFW High School while younger two doing the rest of MFW cycle.

Note: Just a note of caution, someone posted about their 1st grader doing ECC. You may want to look closer as it really is not recommended to use ECC for that young, if it is the oldest child in the house. They created Adventures for that purpose, to give the child a bridge year for ECC. Oh, wait, did you say you were doing Adv with a 1st grader? Hmm, can't remember now!

Yeah, one of my good friends here is doing ECC with her kids this year and she said it is quite a bit more than Adventures. She had a blast last year with her kids in Adventures. I'm looking forward to it (and having my kids on the same historical time period!)

I am planning on using the state sheets that Paige (from elemental science - the science we use - which is wonderful btw) created and has on her yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elemental_science/

There is a spot for the flag, seal, quarter of each state that you just cut and paste. I think my dd will be able to handle that, then she can just narrate to me what she has learned from the state. I also got a book of "state sheets" from the dollar section of Target that are REALLY easy. So, I figure between the two of those, she'll be covered.

Thanks for the great link!!

I thought it would be fun for my kids to start a quarter collection next year in Adv. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/0794821944/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

There's even lesson plans to go with: http://www.usmint.gov/kids/campCoin/collectorsWorkshop/coinCourse/

I can't wait to start, but I'm just adoring mfwk science and bible this year!! We are beefing it up for the olders. For example, in creation week they each are making a paper mache globe, coloring, and labeling it. So much fun!

Edited by mommyjen

I haven't. I hear so little about it on here that I didn't even think of doing a search! Thanks :001_smile:

We have a group over in the Social Groups section under your User Control Panel ;) http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=97

We went from Weaver to TOG, to MFW, sidetracked to Veritas and Weaver again, then back to MFW and don't plan on leaving it again.

Longtime MFW user here. :seeya:

There's been a great discussion going that was started by a gal who was using another program and switched to MFW. I posted several times in that thread answering posts about how MFW works in detail, particularly where it concerns combining children vs. separating. (The thread turned into a comparison thread between this other program and MFW, which is what inevitably always happens. :tongue_smilie: )

Anyway, if you want to read it, go here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223814