Menu

If your dc has been evaluated for CAPD, did it include all of the following?

Leonor

There are four types of tests that audiologist will use:

• HEARING: The first tests will be basic hearing tests to rule out any hearing loss. This is especially important for children since an estimated 11% of school-age children suffer from some form of hearing loss.
  • NEUROLOGIC: The second group of tests measure how well the brain responds to various sounds. The technical term is Electrophysiologic tests. Administering these tests involves the use of electrodes, which measure brain response to sound stimuli.
  • BEHAVIORAL: The third group of tests are considered behavioral tests. They involve presenting spoken information with portions of the words purposely missing. A person without CAPD can fill in the gaps and understand what is said, while an individual with CAPD cannot.
  • DICHOTIC: The fourth group of tests are called dichotic speech tests. These involve presenting specific numbers or words alternatively in each ear, and the patient must repeat all that has been said in both ears.

My dd9 was tested 2 years ago and is in the process of follow-up testing now. I know the tests 2 years ago included #1,3,4 on your list, but probably not #2. The battery now includes additional tests that were not included 2 yrs ago, so after I get the report on Nov 22, I can let you know what was included this time.

There are four types of tests that audiologist will use:

• HEARING: The first tests will be basic hearing tests to rule out any hearing loss. This is especially important for children since an estimated 11% of school-age children suffer from some form of hearing loss.

• NEUROLOGIC: The second group of tests measure how well the brain responds to various sounds. The technical term is Electrophysiologic tests. Administering these tests involves the use of electrodes, which measure brain response to sound stimuli.

• BEHAVIORAL: The third group of tests are considered behavioral tests. They involve presenting spoken information with portions of the words purposely missing. A person without CAPD can fill in the gaps and understand what is said, while an individual with CAPD cannot.

• DICHOTIC: The fourth group of tests are called dichotic speech tests. These involve presenting specific numbers or words alternatively in each ear, and the patient must repeat all that has been said in both ears.

I don't see any mention of "neurologic" tests on our report. The rest of the tests were given, plus we had to fill out a CHAPS.

• 1 month later...
My dd9 was tested 2 years ago and is in the process of follow-up testing now. I know the tests 2 years ago included #1,3,4 on your list, but probably not #2. The battery now includes additional tests that were not included 2 yrs ago, so after I get the report on Nov 22, I can let you know what was included this time.

We had to postpone the appt because my dd had a cold on 11/22, so we finished the test today. I don't have the written report yet, but we discussed the results. The battery definitely still includes #1,3,4. My dd said there were no electrodes, so I assume it didn't include #2. I'll let you know if I find out differently when I get the written report.