Menu

wow...4 month wait to see neuropsych???

Well, maybe this means the guy knows his stuff and that is why he is booked up?

We had a SEVEN month wait for the third pediatric neurologist we took my son to years ago - and he was worth it (only person to help the kid!)

I hoped you took the appointment - and let the office know to put you on the list to call if someone cancels before then. At least then you have your son "in line" while you look for another option.

Good luck.

Oh Katie, hang in there. A highly sought after one locally here had a 3-5 month wait as well. But, again, she was highly regarded in her field as top notch.

We ended up not waiting that long and went with someone else.

Ask to be put on a "wait" list. In the event they have a cancellation, and they will, the office will call you and offer it to you. If they "accept" a wait list...ask what number you would be.

Or, can you branch out a bit from your city and still receive insurance coverage. Check with them to see how many miles is in your coverage plan.

Definitely book the appointment. You can also request that the office call you if there are cancellations. Your son's primary care physician may be able to contact the neuropsych's office directly and get him in earlier. And finally, if all else fails, I'd call my insurance company and demand that they give you permission to see another provider. If you're dealing with violent behavior, it is not acceptable for your insurer to tell you to sit on your hands for 4 months.

:grouphug:

Actually 4 months is pretty good. The wait is often 6-8 months around here. I was very lucky that when I was trying to get an appointment for my dd who I thought might have had a seizure, somebody cancelled an appointment for the next day while I was still trying to set up my appointment, so I grabbed it immediately.

I recommend getting on their cancellation list. That way they will call you if anybody cancels.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting him seen. Perhaps you could shop around elsewhere? It could mean a long drive, but if you feel he needs it now, then it might be worth it.

OT: I'm going to bookmark this thread for every time someone rags on Canadian healthcare and brings up the wait times for non-essential procedures.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting him seen. Perhaps you could shop around elsewhere? It could mean a long drive, but if you feel he needs it now, then it might be worth it.

OT: I'm going to bookmark this thread for every time someone rags on Canadian healthcare and brings up the wait times for non-essential procedures.

LOL, how very true!!!

sigh, I left a message for another one, to see what their wait time is. Somehow I had missed this one the first time I looked, and they actually look better able to serve his needs. Just waiting on them to call me back.

I think a 4-month wait is not uncommon for certain practices. Where we are, the local university with a neuropsych dept has a 2-3 month wait. Both of the private neuropsychs we saw had about a 1-month wait, though there are times of the year when it's harder to get in, because they also do testing for certain private school admissions.

I highly recommend getting on the cancellation wait list. Just be prepared to drop everything if they call one morning. For example, sick cancellations will happen the morning of the appt. Good luck! (It's pretty impressive that you may have insurance coverage for this!)

Success!!! The smaller office called me back. They don't do therapy, just testing. After they diagnose they refer to the appropriate professionals for treatment, so they cycle people in much more quickly. They can get him in the 24th of this month, so only 16 days away. I really liked the person I spole to, she said they will do an initial consultation, then based on that decide on the testing they want to do...either a full day or a half day. And they do testing for SPD as well as ASD, Bipolar, etc.

VERY excited to have this on the books!!!!

Even if you think of a plan B, you might want to consider making the appointment in case you still want it in March. This type of a wait is typical and if you don't make the appointment, you may be wishing you did when March rolls around. I speak from experience.

Lisa

Katie,

My dd went in for 2 - 1/2 days for testing. She was literally turning 10 when we had her tested 18 months ago. I'd heard people say multiple days are better for some kids. Why? One long day is loooong!

Breaking it up into 2 or 3 shorter days is more manageable for the child AND as my dd's neuropsychologist told us, "will paint a clearer picture" of her. If she has a bad day out of 1 or 2 other days then hopefully the other one/s will be better. They can look for patterns and consistency over a "mini-series" so to speak.

HTH. Sheryl <><

Well, maybe this means the guy knows his stuff and that is why he is booked up?

We had a SEVEN month wait for the third pediatric neurologist we took my son to years ago - and he was worth it (only person to help the kid!)

I hoped you took the appointment - and let the office know to put you on the list to call if someone cancels before then. At least then you have your son "in line" while you look for another option.

Good luck.

:iagree::iagree: When we schedule our 5 year Neuropsych test -- the hospital schedules it 6 months in advance. It is worth the wait. Years ago, we paid out of pocket for a Neuropsych exam and it was $3500 -- yikes.

They did say they would break it up over 2 days :)

Katie,

My dd went in for 2 - 1/2 days for testing. She was literally turning 10 when we had her tested 18 months ago. I'd heard people say multiple days are better for some kids. Why? One long day is loooong!

Breaking it up into 2 or 3 shorter days is more manageable for the child AND as my dd's neuropsychologist told us, "will paint a clearer picture" of her. If she has a bad day out of 1 or 2 other days then hopefully the other one/s will be better. They can look for patterns and consistency over a "mini-series" so to speak.

HTH. Sheryl <><