Menu

Math Mammoth-Behind Grade Level

PenKase

As I was making my WTM rounds this morning, a post prodded me to ask the Hive about doing math behind grade level. My dd10 (5th grade) currently working through the end of MM3B. She came home from ps about a month ago, but I've been supplementing with MM since last school year (4th grade) and through the summer. At the time, I had her back up to 3A to get used to doing math the MM way and because there were many topics not covered in school that I thought were important! I've looked ahead to 4A and it seems like some of it will still be review, BUT I really want to give her a solid math background and DON'T want to skip anything. She is learning A TON, thoroughly enjoying MM even though she's admits it a ton of brain work (LOL), but admires the way Maria explains and executes concepts (and this is NOT my math loving child). I am amazed at how much is covered that she did not know, even in these early levels. MM has been a massive success here!!

Soooo, I guess what I'm asking is.......do I have to worry about dd working behind in math?? Do I have permission to keep her where she is and just keep going? I plan to school year round. I'm sure this will help to catch her up.

TIA

PS. Looking ahead, what will you MM users do when finished with 6B? I'm thinking about switching at that point to LoF along with the Key To.....series.

I think Math Mammoth tends to run a grade ahead of what PS's are doing usually anyway? I don't see any problem with it.

The author of MM has some good info on what to do for pre-algebra/algebra on her site. It's a LONG way off for me (my son is doing MM1), so I don't have plans set in stone, or even in Playdoh. :lol:

Pre-algebra page

Algebra page

When I find myself thinking this way (my dd 10 is also using MM 3) I ask myself what the alternative is. The alternative would be to move her into a place in the curricula that she's not ready to be. If 3B or 4A or wherever she's at is challenging her and building a solid math foundation, then that's where she should be. I think it's foolish to buy in to the idea that so many curriculum authors try to sell us. Not every kid moves at the same pace and we have to be totally okay ignoring grade levels and just place our kids where they belong. It sounds like you're doing a great job mom, don't second guess yourself! :grouphug:

When I find myself thinking this way (my dd 10 is also using MM 3) I ask myself what the alternative is. The alternative would be to move her into a place in the curricula that she's not ready to be. If 3B or 4A or wherever she's at is challenging her and building a solid math foundation, then that's where she should be. I think it's foolish to buy in to the idea that so many curriculum authors try to sell us. Not every kid moves at the same pace and we have to be totally okay ignoring grade levels and just place our kids where they belong. It sounds like you're doing a great job mom, don't second guess yourself! :grouphug:

:iagree:Completely.

My 10yo 5th grader is mid-4A. I don't worry about it because she no longer hates math, is building confidence, and learning a ton. She might eventually be in the same grade as the book level, but that has nothing to do with what the public school is doing. They just about killed her with math. I think you should be happy you found a program that is working well, that she enjoys, and that is building her confidence!

As for future plans, I don't know. I'm just glad to not be looking for a math curriculum!:D By the end of next year I will read what Maria recommends.

Put her where she needs to be. IT is likely that MM is ahead of PS in several topics. If you're schooling year round, you'll catch up but i wouldn't make that my primary concern. She's learning a lot, it makes her think, you're lucky that you've found the exact right challenge for her. Just keep going with it and don't worry about a grade level printed on the front of the book. It is absolutely wonderful that she now founds math so enjoyable. PS killed my son's love of math and after 2 years of HSing, I've never been able to reverse that.

I think Math Mammoth tends to run a grade ahead of what PS's are doing usually anyway?

I think it's foolish to buy in to the idea that so many curriculum authors try to sell us. Not every kid moves at the same pace and we have to be totally okay ignoring grade levels and just place our kids where they belong.

My 10yo 5th grader is mid-4A. I don't worry about it because she no longer hates math, is building confidence, and learning a ton.

She's learning a lot, it makes her think, you're lucky that you've found the exact right challenge for her. Just keep going with it and don't worry about a grade level printed on the front of the book. It is absolutely wonderful that she now founds math so enjoyable.

Thanks to all of you!! Wonderful adviCe. I WAS stressing just a wee bit. You area all AMAZING!!!!

Could you make it a time-based class each day so that some days you finish more than "a day's work"? We are doing 4 pp a day and so will catch up, but I am very prepared to slow down if needed. Each time though that i have thought it was that time, we got to something we had already covered in our previous math curriculum and so things got much better suddenly. Every now and then we hit a read tough spot. DD10 is just starting 4B. We did 3A and 3B this summer and 4A this year starting in August I think. We did 5 pages a day for a while and it was hard work! I wouldn't recommend it! Now she thinks 4 pp a day is a breeze!

My 10 yo 5th grade dd is in 4A as well. I feel like she could have handled level 5, but this is not a year where I can spend time with her on math daily (and as much as I'd love to, she actually prefers it this way).

She's doing well and progressing nicely. She's about 3/4 through 4A and I hope we can be done with 5A by July without pushing too hard.

I plan to go right into prealgebra after 6B. She's kind of messing around on her own with LOF Fractions, so it should be very doable.