Menu

Historical Fiction about royalty you've enjoyed

I've been on a Tudor kick for a few years.

I've read Phillipa Gregory's works, and some found in the YA section, but am interested in finding more.

Any historical fiction you've liked? It doesn't have to be Tudors. I really like royalty and pioneer historical fiction though.

I really enjoyed the movie The Duchess so any like that would be appreciated as well.

I am a big fan of Jane Austen and Emily and Charlotte Bronte so books like that also appreciated.

:bigear:

I liked Queen's Confession by Victoria Holt. It's the story of Marie Antoinette, told in first person as she awaits execution. It takes the perspective that MA wasn't cruel and selfish, but young and naive. I will put out the caveat that I read that years ago, but as soon as you said "historical fiction about royals", my mind immediately went there.

You're barking up my tree! :D

I recently really loved Alison Weir's Innocent Traitor. I see she also has a novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine that I am anxious to read. She's mostly a non-fiction writer, so her fiction is meticulously researched.

I also really loved Brenda Rickman-Vantrease Illuminator and 2 others.

Also Vanora Bennet's Portrait of an Unknown Woman was great!

I'm happiest in England in around 1500. *sigh* ;)

You're barking up my tree! :D

I recently really loved Alison Weir's Innocent Traitor. I see she also has a novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine that I am anxious to read. She's mostly a non-fiction writer, so her fiction is meticulously researched.

I also really loved Brenda Rickman-Vantrease Illuminator and 2 others.

Also Vanora Bennet's Portrait of an Unknown Woman was great!

I'm happiest in England in around 1500. *sigh* ;)

I'll second all three of these. I've really enjoyed Alison Weir's fiction (which isn't surprising since I also enjoy her non-fiction!).

Jean Plaidy, who is the same person as Victoria Holt, wrote a very large amount of historical fiction. They are older books. Some can be found at Barnes and Noble, more can be found at Half Price, I'm sure some are out of print. I found them originally at my local library. Jean Plaidy wrote about the Tudors, but she also wrote about many other time periods in history as well. She stuck mainly with British royalty, if I recall correctly.

I've been on a Tudor kick for a few years.

I've read Phillipa Gregory's works, and some found in the YA section, but am interested in finding more.

Any historical fiction you've liked? It doesn't have to be Tudors. I really like royalty and pioneer historical fiction though.

I really enjoyed the movie The Duchess so any like that would be appreciated as well.

I am a big fan of Jane Austen and Emily and Charlotte Bronte so books like that also appreciated.

:bigear:

Just discovered Margaret Barnes a few months back. King's Fool and My Lady of Cleves were good.

I also really like Sharon Kaye Penman.

Anya Seton has some really, really good books. I absolutely LOVED The Winthrop Woman. These are older books, but they are fantastic.

http://www.nndb.com/people/422/000048278/

I think I've read all of them. Some of them are English histories, some are early American.

I love historical fiction as well!! Just wanted to second the rec for books by Anya Seton. I love her books!