Menu

Hefier International question

Does HI help any families/villages, or do they have to be ones that are willing to convert to christianity? Or some other type of 'string' attached?

I've seen it before. "Help us convert these heathens and once we do, we feed them." That doesn't sit right with me. You want to help people, help people, don't make them change their beliefs, or lie and about changing their beliefs just to get help. And I really don't like the idea of giving them my money if they do this.

So can someone tell me please?

I've seen it before. "Help us convert these heathens and once we do, we feed them."

I've never heard of a Christian organization that requires conversion before help is provided. Do you have a name or names? I'd like to know myself as I don't agree with that way of working either.

I've never seen anything about evangelism in any of their information. I didn't even know they had a Christian founder. They do require the recipients to take some classes, depending on the gift, but it's things like animal care and business skills.

Thanks everyone, that makes me feel much better.

Karenciavo - I don't know of any names. Ten years ago while living in NC I was told about things like this taking place. I believe it could have been China. Over the years I've heard similiar stories from others who have been dealing with missionaries/groups.

I've heard of a couple of cases like that, but they were few and usually a more radical group.

Now, I have heard plenty of groups that come into an area where either a missionary is already working or an area that is already Christian for many generations, and try to disrupt things by undermining what is already there and telling them how they aren't the "right kind of Christian".

I've never heard of a Christian organization that requires conversion before help is provided. Do you have a name or names? I'd like to know myself as I don't agree with that way of working either.

I don't think that most *require* conversion, but that, for our family, the bigger issue is that the mission of many groups is as much (or more) to evangelize while helping as it is to help. The helping is in service of the evangelization.

I have no call or reason to participate in or support the Great Commission (or its equivalent for any other religion, for that matter). While believing that such organizations do indeed do good work, I would prefer to support those that also do very good work but do it without feeling the need to promote a specific religion. There's certainly enough need out there for everyone! I leave to their co-religionists the support of organizations whose intent is to spread their religion.

I've heard of a couple of cases like that, but they were few and usually a more radical group.

I'm sure it's not the norm, and am glad about that.

Now, I have heard plenty of groups that come into an area where either a missionary is already working or an area that is already Christian for many generations, and try to disrupt things by undermining what is already there and telling them how they aren't the "right kind of Christian".[/quote

Yes, I do remember hearing about 'christen' groups going into Catholic areas to convert them to christanity. That I really don't get!

I don't think that most *require* conversion, but that, for our family, the bigger issue is that the mission of many groups is as much (or more) to evangelize while helping as it is to help. The helping is in service of the evangelization.

I have no call or reason to participate in or support the Great Commission (or its equivalent for any other religion, for that matter). While believing that such organizations do indeed do good work, I would prefer to support those that also do very good work but do it without feeling the need to promote a specific religion. There's certainly enough need out there for everyone! I leave to their co-religionists the support of organizations whose intent is to spread their religion.

You probably worded what I meant better than I did.

I agree that some of these groups do good works. Unfortunately I feel often they are using their "we're here to help' sort of as their way in the door. That feeding, cleaning water, over all helping isn't really their main goal. That's just their sales line to be able to force their beliefs system onto a group.

You want to go to a group with no belief system and tell them about yours? Great. Go for it. You've given them information. They can take it or not.

But to go to a group that has a cultural belief system and to tell them no your way is wrong, you must believe this, bothers me greatly.

What you said is also our goal. If I'm giving you money, I want that money to go towards helping. Not towards spreading someone's religious beliefs.

Thanks everyone. My son currently has a goal in mind so this has been a big help.