Menu

DS being admitted to hospital tomorrow am

The hospital called Friday afternoon, they have a bed available for ds to begin his 3 week inpatient assessment in the children's mental health unit. I am hopeful this will bring us some new answers but am also nervous about sending him. He has been through this assessment before, and many of you know dd went through it just over a year ago. I know it is a good program, I am more worried about them claiming he is perfectly normal like they did with dd and sending him on his way leaving us in the same situation we are in now of me trying to help him on my own. He is not happy to be going, infact when he found out he was he smashed several toys with a hammer in the yard, started numerous fights at home, and threatened to kill me. This will all be reported upon admitting, but if he does not show this side of him there they are likely to dismiss any concerns like they did with dd and with him in the past.

I also am feeling guilty because I am looking forward to the peace that having him out of the house for 3 weeks will bring. We will spend weekends in the city at my folks during his weekend pass, due to travel distance (we are in the city right now too), so his time at home this weekend destroying things, and fighting is it for him for a full 3 weeks. I love him very much, and a part of me will miss him, but life with him can be very difficult and I am looking forward to the repreive, which then leaves me feeling guilty for feeling that way.

Here's hoping that this assessment will give us a better idea of what we are dealing with, and if he needs meds that they are effective without major side effects.

:grouphug:

So sorry you are going through all this. It must be so hard and I can imagine what it would be like to appreciate a break but then feel guilty for feeling that way. My sister's son has uncontrolled epilepsy (it's an unusual type that doesn't respond to any drugs) and there are times when she is so desperate for a break, but then feels bad for wanting to be away from her son.

Best wishes to you and your family.. I do hope you get a diagnosis and the right help for your son.

It sounds like you have been on a long hard road--even weary travelers take respite from their journey. I wish you peace and blessings of news that can help you and your son on this journey. I cant say I imagine it is hard-for I am sure I have no idea but I know all of us are supporting you in trying to get help for your son, if a bit of peace and respite comes with it so be it. No guilt-recharge the batteries and focus on what you can do not what you "perceive" you should do or feel like.

Blessings and hope for you and your family

Adrianne

I hope and pray you get the answers you're looking for. It's SO hard getting the RIGHT/accurate diagnosis.

Please don't feel guilty for looking forward to a peaceful three weeks. If I could get a reprieve from my youngest, I would. And I would feel NO guilt whatsoever. It's tough living with someone who destroys your house and causes such an uproar. Don't be hard on yourself. You're tired and looking forward to peace. Nothing wrong with that. You love him and you need a break. I'm so glad you're getting one!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It sounds awful, but I do hope your ds acts normally while he is there.

This is what I am hoping for too. He won't be able to do all the weird/bad stuff there that he does at home, but I truly hope he has some of his meltdowns/fits or other such behaviours he has at home so they can see them.