Menu

WWYD? Cortisone injection in spine...

I am scheduled for a cortisone epidural in my spine next week. I've shared some of this before, but....

I've only had one visit to this Dr to talk about problems with my hips (bursitis in both and a sharp shooting pain at times when walking in the right) and sciatic type back pain. I had already had xrays of both spine and hip and an MRI of the spine to show her. Xrays show mild arthritis in hips, MRI showed protruding L5S1 pressing on nerve root and xrays show moderate degenerative disc disease. I have had back problems for many years but I was keeping it at bay by walking. The sharp shooting hip pains have stopped that. Anyway, this Dr was no talk and all action. She gave me shots in my hips without telling me she was going to) and scheduled a nerve root conduction test and spinal epidural along with an MRI of the hip with the pains. I already got the MRI (haven't heard anything yet). My back is something I've had a long time. Although it isn't fun, it's not as bad as I have had it before. I've read some negatives about the epidurals and I'm thinking of canceling. I really just want the hip stuff to stop and I can work on the back. I guess she's thinking we need everything to calm down? I'm also not sure about the nerve conduction test either(she never even talked about this - the receptionist just scheduled it when I checked out). UGH! I wish she could have discussed everything with me. WWYD?

Wow, you must really hurt!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

What does your gut tell you about this doctor? I am pretty sure I would at least get one second opinion before doing something that sounds rather invasive. Sounds like you can carry some of your test results with you? If so, I'd do a lot of asking around and see what another (highly recommended) doc thinks before going ahead. You can always get it later, but once you do it, it's done, kwim?

I've got a track record of ditching doctors that won't tell me anything, or make me feel like asking questions is taking too much of their time. There was this one endocrinologist that I went for an initial appointment. Uggh. I sat in front of his desk in his office for exactly 60 minutes. He talked for 58 of those minutes.

Then there was this other endo... Oy! Yeah, I know, one horror story a day is enough.

So if you are not comfortable with a doc that won't talk, won't listen to what you say, etc., then, in my book, it is time to find someone else.

My mil has had the cortisone epidural a few times now, and my father had it done at least once. No problems with it at all, and a good deal of relief was gained. I would have no problems telling my dr. to slow down and explain everything to me. I'd feel like my head was spinning going through what you did with this dr! My mil has multiple problems with her back, hips, knees, etc. She has noticed that when she is treating one area, say her back with the cortisone epidural, she will get some relief in her hips and knees also. She's not sure why this is, perhaps her gait is better, or she isn't favoring a certain position that makes other things worse, etc.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I normally tell doctors what I want ( I come from a family of docs and I know they are human, they don't intimidate me) but my arthritis doctor is an A # 1 BULLY, and good thing for me that he is, because without him, I don't walk. Literally.

He and dh ganged up on me, ptl.

I've had sciatic down my leg for years. I once had an epidural of cortisone. I'd have it again if the pain was severe in a heart beat. But I would not have it unless back stretching and strengthening exercises and a bit of time with ibuprofen (or other anti-inflamitory) didn't do the trick. You should definately be doing exercises specifically for the back. They work. (They will not bother your hips and are done mostly on the floor)With them, I have kept my back issues mild for many years. If my back flairs up, It is almost always when I haven't been doing the exercises.

Also, this is THE most important thing that I have ever learned from a physical therapist. We all know that you need strong abs for a healthy back. But that's not the end of the story. You need to USE your strong abs for a healthy back. Every single time you leave vertical, engage the abs. Many people do this automatically, but some do not. I learned to stop and think about my abs when I leave vertical and now, it is habit. It has changed my life. No more back strain. Very little sciatica. For ex: If you are sitting eating dinner and lean forward to reach the salt, engage the abs first. If you are going to reach for anything, engage the abs. Bending in any way right, left, forward or back should only be done with abs intentionally engaged! Good luck and God Bless.

Oh, and I think you should cancel the shot if you want to and have it if you want to, not just because the Dr. ordered it.

Thank you so much, everyone for your input. I've canceled them until I can see the Dr. next week and actually talk about it. In the meantime, the hip MRI came back with something that they want to look at with a nuclear bone scan so we'll see what that's all about. I really appreciate your help!

Becky, I hesitate sharing this because I don't want to make you distrust your doctor or cause doubt about her intentions. I don't know her and I don't know how her mind is working regarding your particular problem and why she feels she must do all these tests and the cortisone treatment.

I have a bad back, too, and have had the cortisone shots - two different types. Neither had much effect.

But what I am going to relate has nothing to do with my back issues. I once went to a gastroenterologist for some severe upper abdominal pain. He sent me for several tests - an ultrasound, a nuclear something or other, and one other (an MRI maybe?) over the course of several months. Everything came back inconclusive. Then he said, "Let's get a CAT Scan done - that test will really show us what's going on."

OK, then why didn't we do that one first?:confused::glare: What does he possibly have to gain from sending me all over creation at great expense and inconvenience to me when he could have just sent me to the CAT Scan place to begin with? Is he getting a kickback or something (ok, I don't think he is, but still, what's up?) Is it all the money from the insurance company he gets each time I show up to discuss the results of these tests? I dunno. I've never figured it out and I never found out what was wrong with me. Fortunately, the pain has gone away.

All that to say, I guess I'm getting cynical about doctors in my old age. I have lost faith in them to some extent (not entirely, as I've also had wonderful experiences - I just don't accept that they all know what they're doing and that they have my best interests at heart.) I wouldn't let a doctor schedule a cortisone injection without explaining what it is and what it will do and ask me if I even want the procedure done. I'm glad you cancelled so you can sit back and reflect on the whole matter a bit longer and hopefully get a second opinion.