Menu

Poll: Do you know how to make a white sauce?

Do you know how to make a white sauce?  

1. 1. Do you know how to make a white sauce?

• No, I don't know how.
    • No, I don't know how and I can't cook anyway.
    • Yes, I can do it with a recipe.
    • Yes, I can it without a recipe.
    • Yes, I can do it with my eyes closed I do it so often.
    • Yes, because even tho' I've never done it before, I can do anything I put my mind to!
    • Other

One of my favorite foods as a child was chicken dipped in flour and "fried" in butter. Then... gravy made out of the left over butter. I'm sure it was really low-fat, right? :) Anyway, I never thought of gravy as a "white sauce"..... but ... I can kinda make that... if by chance it works out. AND, I can make white sauce...like for Mac-n-Cheese. I made Pioneer Woman's just the other day :)

Just the other day I talked a friend though making a cheese sauce. She didn't believe me when I had her start with a roux (she wanted to toss some cheddar and a pan and heat it until it melted), but she stayed the course and ended up with a serviceable sauce for her kids' macaroni.

I can get timid, though, when I need a dark roux. I was making an etouffee recently and my husband had to keep encouraging me to make the roux darker. I'm so afraid of burning it, I tend toward undercooking.

Raclette!

:001_huh:

They sell white sauce in a jar?

Maybe that's why the boys don't like it. ;)

I've seen powdered packets of white sauce starter...like by Knorr.

Not only do I know how to make a white sauce, I can make a brown sauce (gravy) with the same basic ingredients. And with a bit of cheese, I can make a cheese sauce too. Yesterday I made sausage gravy.

I also know how to use said sauces in casseroles, chowders, stews and other dishes.

I am such a dork...I can make gravy with my eyes closed but I don't trust myself to make white sauce without checking the proportions!

I learned to make one for a yummy creamy chicken noodle dish I make (think chunky chicken noodle soup with some cream of cheddar in it,) and then proceeded to start using it for sausage biscuits and gravy, mac & cheese, etc. Then I taughd dh how to make it (he used to make gravy by adding too much flour to everything. :D)

Yes, I can make one without a recipe, usually for Chicken a la King or something similar, or with cheese added for Mac & Cheese.

The best thing is, so can my ds13 (and often does, for alfredo, using every type of cheese he can dig out of the freezer!) He even made it once for his sister's sleepover, and all the little girls loved it! (such a sweet little man!)

I can't do creamy chicken. Bad chicken ala king incident in childhood.

I have no idea how! Will someone please tell me?

My dad makes a great country gravy and he's tried to teach me how and I can't ever get it to turn out right. Hopefully making white sauce is nothing like that!

Yes, me too! I would love to not buy cream of yuck anymore. Can someone share how to make a good white sauce?

Lesley

I see some people shared theirs but this is a nice walk-thru w/variations for thicknesses.

How to make a white sauce

Yes, but I would have thought that it might not work in a recipe also as I don't consider cream of soup to be white sauce.

Sauce and soup are different but OTOH, if the recipe calls for a can of cream soup to be thinned with another liquid, I would think a white sauce could be substituted.

:confused:

I actually fall between two choices - I COULD do it without a recipe, but I'd really have to think about it to get the proportions right.

Sometimes I wonder what my home ec courses in high school covered - certainly not basic things home cooks need to know :001_huh:!

J

That's what I started out doing too. After you've done this a lot of times, varying it and measuring by eye gets easier -- and you can start saying 'oh, about that much fat' etc. I also add a thinly sliced garlic clove in the butter-melting stage, because I like garlic!

me too!

I can make white sauce and often make homemade mac and cheese, sausage gravy, chipped beef, etc. However, I do still use canned cream of something soup for casseroles. IMO, part of the reason for making a casserole is because it is fast and easy and sometimes a casserole made at home quickly with canned ingredients is better than a trip thru the McDonalds drive thru:tongue_smilie:. Slinking off in shame now after admitting to using cream of something soup.

Joy

No slinking needed. :grouphug:

Think of what a wonderful Godsend canned food can be!

Not only do I know how to make a white sauce, I can make a brown sauce (gravy) with the same basic ingredients. And with a bit of cheese, I can make a cheese sauce too. Yesterday I made sausage gravy.

I also know how to use said sauces in casseroles, chowders, stews and other dishes.

Feel free to share ;) *hint-hint*

Yes. And, anyone can make a white sauce. I abhor those cream of crap soups. They're not food.

I agree that anyone can make one. ;)

I answered yes, with no recipe needed, but now I'm not sure what folks are calling a white sauce.

My roux and white sauce are NOT the same. My white sauce is butter, flour and milk while my roux is oil, flour and milk.

I use my white sauce base for cheese sauces, cream soups, thinner soups like potato and broccoli, and for making cream gravy with sausage to put on biscuits. I use a meatless broth powder I get from Frontier to add a meaty flavor if needed.

My roux, otoh, is for gumbos, stew gravies and some types of soup. I can make a good, dark roux in my sleep! :tongue_smilie: It is simply a requirement here in Louisiana!!

ETA: Those having trouble getting a roux dark should try doing it with oil. It doesn't burn like butter, and gets much darker, making for quite a flavorful gravy!

When should we arrive for our meal? And what will you be serving? :lol:

I've been making white sauce since I was about 12 because it was the base for "chipped beef gravy on toast" in our family. My mom grew up poor and this was a cheap easy "comfort food" that used up stale bread.

I make biscuits and gravy for dh fairly regularly.

Last week I made some loaded baked potato soup with white sauce as its base.

I have been meaning to tweak my husband's childhood mac 'n cheese recipe to replace the canned soup, so now I'm definitely inspired.

White sauce?

*GACK* :ack2:

Bill

Keep walking, Bill. :lol: We're talking about meat drippings and gravy, too. And it looks like your eyeballs are a-poppin' out yer head! :lol:

I've always known how to make a white sauce, even though I wasn't much of a cook, but really got good when I moved overseas and there was no choice but to make things with a homemade white sauce. Canned soups just weren't available! Nothing like necessity to kick one in the rear!

Amen!

To me, the roux is the fat + flour, whether the fat is butter or oil. The white sauce is what happens when you add milk.

That's what we call it in Iowa, anyway.:)

Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa!

My mom taught me to make white sauce before I moved out on my own. I make it all the time, with no recipe. I make it either with flour or cornstarch.

I learned how to make gravy by watching my mom. Good times.

One of my favorite foods as a child was chicken dipped in flour and "fried" in butter. Then... gravy made out of the left over butter. I'm sure it was really low-fat, right? :) Anyway, I never thought of gravy as a "white sauce"..... but ... I can kinda make that... if by chance it works out. AND, I can make white sauce...like for Mac-n-Cheese. I made Pioneer Woman's just the other day :)

Gravy and white sauce are the same concept, IMO.

I learned how to make white sauce when I got a job as a cook during my college days. I'm so glad I did! It is way cheaper & tastier.

I learned so much as a cook during my college days, too!

I actually fall between two choices - I COULD do it without a recipe, but I'd really have to think about it to get the proportions right.

Sometimes I wonder what my home ec courses in high school covered - certainly not basic things home cooks need to know :001_huh:!

J

I know what you mean...I've someone challenged me to do it w/o a recipe, I'd do it. I just feel better w/ a recipe.

Any good recipes for milk-less white sauce? We can do butter but not milk.

I hope you get one!

Keep walking, Bill. :lol: We're talking about meat drippings and gravy, too. And it looks like your eyeballs are a-poppin' out yer head! :lol:

You don't ruin meat drippings by adding flour to them, do you??? :D

No one ever taught y'all how to deglaze a pan? :tongue_smilie:

Bill (aghast :lol:)

I've been making white sauce since I was about 12 because it was the base for "chipped beef gravy on toast" in our family. My mom grew up poor and this was a cheap easy "comfort food" that used up stale bread.

I make biscuits and gravy for dh fairly regularly.

Last week I made some loaded baked potato soup with white sauce as its base.

I have been meaning to tweak my husband's childhood mac 'n cheese recipe to replace the canned soup, so now I'm definitely inspired.

SOS eaters, unite!

I replace the milk with chicken stock or beef stock or part-stock & milk often. This is how I make the "gravy" for chicken pot pie or shepherd's pie ...

Did you see the shepherd's pie thread a while back?

I am going to try to thicken the shepherd's pie sauce with cornstartch instead of flour one of these days!

You don't ruin meat drippings by adding flour to them, do you??? :D

No one ever taught y'all how to deglaze a pan? :tongue_smilie:

Bill (aghast :lol:)

Okay, Bill, spill your secret knowledge. Please have grace for those of us that have had to learn how to cook the hard way (I did not know how to cook when I got married).

Just remembered the military family's most important white sauce...S.O.S. :lol:

Edited by mommaduck

:lol: Maybe we should label non kosher threads ;) (Well, it could be kosher if it's a white sauce made with margarine and used on peas...)

I actually didn't know what made Bill turn green...

Just a white sauce on its own is not appealing at all...but used as a tool or basis for something else, I likey.

I actually didn't know what made Bill turn green...

Depends on what you are using to make it (all dairy or with animal fat) and what you are planning on putting it in/on (meat or veg).

I have a Jewish friend that I love to ask about various recipes...especially healthy stuff. However, occasionally we'll share what we are having for supper with each other...and I know that there are some things I fix that would just absolutely make her stomach turn.

I'm not actually Jewish ethnically or religiously. Now "culturally" it is a different matter having grown up with a multitude of Jewish friends and life-long deep connections to the Jewish community. But I'm not bound by kashrut.

But white sauce is goyish-to-the-max :D

Bill (WASP :tongue_smilie:)

I'm not actually Jewish ethnically or religiously. Now "culturally" it is a different matter having grown up with a multitude of Jewish friends and life-long deep connections to the Jewish community. But I'm not bound by kashrut.

Bill (WASP :tongue_smilie:)

Ah, got it. I tend to forget.

Now spill your deglazing technique! (pleeeeeeeze?!?!)

Edited by mommaduck

I can make white sauce and often make homemade mac and cheese, sausage gravy, chipped beef, etc. However, I do still use canned cream of something soup for casseroles. IMO, part of the reason for making a casserole is because it is fast and easy and sometimes a casserole made at home quickly with canned ingredients is better than a trip thru the McDonalds drive thru:tongue_smilie:.
That is exactly what I was going to say!

Okay, Bill, spill your secret knowledge. Please have grace for those of us that have had to learn how to cook the hard way (I did not know how to cook when I got married).

Just remembered the military family's most important white sauce...S.O.S. :lol:

Deglazing a pan just involves heating up a small amount of liquid in the cooking pan along along with the meat juices (which are usually-mostly-seperated from most of the fat) with an eye towards incorporating (by scrqping with a wooden spoon) all the browned flavors at the bottom of the pan into a sauce.

It is "gravy" without the flour and one can use wine, stock, or even water or other fluids which are reduced to a nice consistency. There are many variations on how to make a sauce from a deglazed pan, but that is the basics. Not difficult. Google is your friend.

Bill

Deglazing a pan just involves heating up a small amount of liquid in the cooking pan along along with the meat juices (which are usually-mostly-seperated from most of the fat) with an eye towards incorporating (by scrqping with a wooden spoon) all the browned flavors at the bottom of the pan into a sauce.

It is "gravy" without the flour and one can use wine, stock, or even water or other fluids which are reduced to a nice consistency. There are many variations on how to make a sauce from a deglazed pan, but that is the basics. Not difficult. Google is your friend.

Bill

Thanks. I've done this with wine when doing a marsala, but that also required adding flour.

Thanks. I've done this with wine when doing a marsala, but that also required adding flour.

Try it without adding flour. Then just let the Marsala reduce on a gentle heat until it is at a constancy you like. You might like how much lighter and sophisticated the sauce will be.

Or you might decide you like "paste" better :D

Bill

I don't know how to make a white sauce. It's not something "my people" have traditionally eaten (though we do have a thick brown sauce that I know how to make - wonder if that's comparable?) I have never used, bought, or knowingly consumed cream of anything soup (can or otherwise) and I skip any recipe that calls for it. That's not hard, since most of those recipes are for foods very foreign and "weird" to me.

I owned a restaurant and am familiar with de-glazing. We didn't use flour, but sometimes added arrowroot to thicken a sauce. I grew up veg*n but we served meat at the restaurant, and de-glazing was always how we juiced our meat dishes.

Try it without adding flour. Then just let the Marsala reduce on a gentle heat until it is at a constancy you like. You might like how much lighter and sophisticated the sauce will be.

Or you might decide you like "paste" better :D

Bill

You know, I think my husband would prefer the lighter side also. The paste upsets his stomach, I think. Thank you. I had no idea that it would work without the flour (see, told you I learn the hard way)

You know, I think my husband would prefer the lighter side also. The paste upsets his stomach, I think. Thank you. I had no idea that it would work without the flour (see, told you I learn the hard way)

No problem. You can also add flavoring items like shallots, garlic, rosemary, etc.

If you like the dish to be "fancy" strain the sauce through a fine mesh. If you like it more rustic serve unstrained. Things like sauteed mushrooms and onions are potential nice elements in a more rustic style sauce.

It is something to have fun with when you have a browned meat or poultry pan and drippings.

Bon Appetit.

Bill

Bill

Yes!

This is my method for making sauces for meats and vegetables, but when it comes to macaroni and cheese, I can't think of a way around the white sauce.

Heck yeah! Bring on that noodle kugel instead!

I love white sauce. I use it often. What's wrong with it? Call it bechamel if you prefer. I don't ever use it for "hotdish" type things. But it sure beats anything in a can.

I got to thinkin'.

A few years ago, in my hometown newspaper, the cooking editor wrote that her young neighbor (woman in mid 20s) needed to borrow a can of cream of mushroom soup. The editor did not have one but she had ingredients for a white sauce and fresh mushrooms. Editor offered to show neighbor how to make one in the time it would take her to drive to the store to get the cr. of mushroom soup.

Neighbor declined. Editor said it because neighbor wasn't sure it would work in her recipe (a casserole of some sort.) Editor assured her it would work but neighbor still said no thanks.

I would have LOVED anyone who showed me how to make a white sauce when I was in my mid-20s. That's about when I stopped using cream of everything soup. I didn't discover white sauce until I was 40!

yes I can, but rarely do. I don't make any casseroles other than lasagna and the one thing I make that requires a white sauce nobody else but my mom eats so I only make it when she comes to visit. She's the one that taught me how to make it so I'd know how to make the one dish only her and I like. :)

Heck yeah! Bring on that noodle kugel instead!

I love white sauce. I use it often. What's wrong with it? Call it bechamel if you prefer. I don't ever use it for "hotdish" type things. But it sure beats anything in a can.

:iagree:

I can deglaze a pan, but that won't get me cream of broccoli soup.

Or macaroni and cheese. Or Egyptian style macarona. Or pastichio. Or lasagna with besciamella (instead of ricotta). Béchamel is one of the five French base sauces, so I don't understand how it's low-class to cook it (in fact, traditionally, it's upper class due to the milk). I never serve anyone a big bowl of white sauce by itself. Of course it doesn't have tons of flavor on its own. Neither does flour!

Per the NY Times, "In Provence you’re most likely to find a béchamel napping cooked vegetables in a gratin, baked until the casserole is bubbling and lightly colored on the top. Indeed, you can gussy up any number of vegetables that have been simply steamed or parboiled with olive oil béchamel."

Yum.

In short, everybody does it. You should too. (Glare.)

Or macaroni and cheese. Or Egyptian style macarona. Or pastichio. Or lasagna with besciamella (instead of ricotta). Béchamel is one of the five French base sauces, so I don't understand how it's low-class to cook it (in fact, traditionally, it's upper class due to the milk). I never serve anyone a big bowl of white sauce by itself. Of course it doesn't have tons of flavor on its own. Neither does flour!

Per the NY Times, "In Provence you’re most likely to find a béchamel napping cooked vegetables in a gratin, baked until the casserole is bubbling and lightly colored on the top. Indeed, you can gussy up any number of vegetables that have been simply steamed or parboiled with olive oil béchamel."

Yum.

In short, everybody does it. You should too. (Glare.)

I love ethnic foods, but French is just one that I've never gotten into. So I had to go look up what you were speaking of and found it here :) Very interesting. Thank you for mentioning. I think in the US it's considered "poor" because it's simple to make and people were more likely to invest in milk, but not wines and such. Especially with children (America, we seem to do a lot of things backwards from Europe LOL!)