Menu

Poll: Do you know how to make a white sauce?

Do you know how to make a white sauce?  

1. 1. Do you know how to make a white sauce?

• No, I don't know how.
    • No, I don't know how and I can't cook anyway.
    • Yes, I can do it with a recipe.
    • Yes, I can it without a recipe.
    • Yes, I can do it with my eyes closed I do it so often.
    • Yes, because even tho' I've never done it before, I can do anything I put my mind to!
    • Other

I got to thinkin'.

A few years ago, in my hometown newspaper, the cooking editor wrote that her young neighbor (woman in mid 20s) needed to borrow a can of cream of mushroom soup. The editor did not have one but she had ingredients for a white sauce and fresh mushrooms. Editor offered to show neighbor how to make one in the time it would take her to drive to the store to get the cr. of mushroom soup.

Neighbor declined. Editor said it because neighbor wasn't sure it would work in her recipe (a casserole of some sort.) Editor assured her it would work but neighbor still said no thanks.

Soooooo...

Congrats to LauraGB with the superfast fingers!

She responded before I did!

:lol:

:lol: I saw the post before the poll showed up and I almost couldn't wait! :lol:

We like a lot of creamy dishes - in fact, my scalloped potatoes are baking as we speak in a homemade cream of mushroom soup. Mmmmmm...

:lol: I saw the post before the poll showed up and I almost couldn't wait! :lol:

We like a lot of creamy dishes - in fact, my scalloped potatoes are baking as we speak in a homemade cream of mushroom soup. Mmmmmm...

That is funny!

My mom was famous for her scalloped potatoes! I hated them as a child. If she was around, I'd eat those babies today so fast it'd make your head spin!

Yours sound delish.

Yes, I can. When shopping at my grocery store and at the deli dept, one of the workers is also a part-time chef and he told me how to do it.

How nice of him!

I think if I was the neighbor from my post, I'd have let the cooking editor teach how to do it, even if I was uncertain if it would work.

Obviously, the story stuck in my head!

I used to be able to make it without a recipe, but no longer use the sauces as often. So, now I need to pull out the recipe.

I had never heard of a white sauce until I married, and my MIL gave me a hand-written recipe book with it included.

What a nice gift!

I served hollandaise sauce w/ asparagus at Easter one year and my DH's parents had never heard it of it. They tried it and liked it, though.

Yes :D Weekly as a matter of fact. We can't use any cream of soups due to allergies so I have to start with a white sauce. My homemade mac and cheese starts from a white sauce base.

Dd15 can also make it without thinking (she's the one with the allergies). Ds17 can do it in a pinch---I told him making a white sauce is a life skill :D Dd10 is learning :)

Yes :D Weekly as a matter of fact. We can't use any cream of soups due to allergies so I have to start with a white sauce. My homemade mac and cheese starts from a white sauce base.

Dd15 can also make it without thinking (she's the one with the allergies). Ds17 can do it in a pinch---I told him making a white sauce is a life skill :D Dd10 is learning :)

I think that is awesome!

I want to get back to basics with our eating. So many things can be done with sauces to add variety.

Yes, I can do it without a recipe. I remember when I learned how to make my own cream of mushroom soup base to replace the canned stuff I was surprised at how easy and tasty it was! Since then I've discovered that so very many convenience food items are quite unnecessary, not always all that convenient, and very rarely (never?) better tasting than their from scratch counterparts.

Yes, I can do it without a recipe. I remember when I learned how to make my own cream of mushroom soup base to replace the canned stuff I was surprised at how easy and tasty it was! Since then I've discovered that so very many convenience food items are quite unnecessary, not always all that convenient, and very rarely (never?) better tasting than their from scratch counterparts.

I totally agree with what I bolded!

Yes. Here's how I do it:

Go to store.

Find section with jars, complain about price.

Still pick one of the more expensive ones because that's what we like.

Go home, open jar.

:D I have no idea how to make white sauce. We don't use it much since the boys in the family don't like it nearly as much as the girls.

Yes. Here's how I do it:

Go to store.

Go home, open jar.

:D I have no idea how to make white sauce. We don't use it much since the boys in the family don't like it nearly as much as the girls.

:lol:

That's funny!

Just the other day I talked a friend though making a cheese sauce. She didn't believe me when I had her start with a roux (she wanted to toss some cheddar and a pan and heat it until it melted), but she stayed the course and ended up with a serviceable sauce for her kids' macaroni.

I can get timid, though, when I need a dark roux. I was making an etouffee recently and my husband had to keep encouraging me to make the roux darker. I'm so afraid of burning it, I tend toward undercooking.

Yes. Here's how I do it:

Go to store.

Go home, open jar.

:001_huh:

They sell white sauce in a jar?

Maybe that's why the boys don't like it. ;)

I can get timid, though, when I need a dark roux. I was making an etouffee recently and my husband had to keep encouraging me to make the roux darker. I'm so afraid of burning it, I tend toward undercooking.

Me too, because it seems to go from dark to burned in a snap.

Not only do I know how to make a white sauce, I can make a brown sauce (gravy) with the same basic ingredients. And with a bit of cheese, I can make a cheese sauce too. Yesterday I made sausage gravy.

I also know how to use said sauces in casseroles, chowders, stews and other dishes.

I learned to make one for a yummy creamy chicken noodle dish I make (think chunky chicken noodle soup with some cream of cheddar in it,) and then proceeded to start using it for sausage biscuits and gravy, mac & cheese, etc. Then I taughd dh how to make it (he used to make gravy by adding too much flour to everything. :D)

Yes, I can make one without a recipe, usually for Chicken a la King or something similar, or with cheese added for Mac & Cheese.

The best thing is, so can my ds13 (and often does, for alfredo, using every type of cheese he can dig out of the freezer!) He even made it once for his sister's sleepover, and all the little girls loved it! (such a sweet little man!)

I have no idea how! Will someone please tell me?

My dad makes a great country gravy and he's tried to teach me how and I can't ever get it to turn out right. Hopefully making white sauce is nothing like that!

Well, my "base" white sauce is to make a roux with 1/4 C. butter and 1/4 C. flour. (Melt the butter & mix in the flour.) Then slowly whisk in 2 C. milk. Add salt/pepper as you like.

Well, my "base" white sauce is to make a roux with 1/4 C. butter and 1/4 C. flour. (Melt the butter & mix in the flour.) Then slowly whisk in 2 C. milk. Add salt/pepper as you like.

That's the way I was taught, but I no longer measure and make varying amounts.

For white meat sauce, I use the grease from frying whichever meat instead of the butter.

That's what I started out doing too. After you've done this a lot of times, varying it and measuring by eye gets easier -- and you can start saying 'oh, about that much fat' etc. I also add a thinly sliced garlic clove in the butter-melting stage, because I like garlic!

I can make white sauce and often make homemade mac and cheese, sausage gravy, chipped beef, etc. However, I do still use canned cream of something soup for casseroles. IMO, part of the reason for making a casserole is because it is fast and easy and sometimes a casserole made at home quickly with canned ingredients is better than a trip thru the McDonalds drive thru:tongue_smilie:. Slinking off in shame now after admitting to using cream of something soup.

Joy

I got to thinkin'.

A few years ago, in my hometown newspaper, the cooking editor wrote that her young neighbor (woman in mid 20s) needed to borrow a can of cream of mushroom soup. The editor did not have one but she had ingredients for a white sauce and fresh mushrooms. Editor offered to show neighbor how to make one in the time it would take her to drive to the store to get the cr. of mushroom soup.

Neighbor declined. Editor said it because neighbor wasn't sure it would work in her recipe (a casserole of some sort.) Editor assured her it would work but neighbor still said no thanks.

Soooooo...

Yes. And, anyone can make a white sauce. I abhor those cream of crap soups. They're not food.

I answered yes, with no recipe needed, but now I'm not sure what folks are calling a white sauce.

My roux and white sauce are NOT the same. My white sauce is butter, flour and milk while my roux is oil, flour and milk.

I use my white sauce base for cheese sauces, cream soups, thinner soups like potato and broccoli, and for making cream gravy with sausage to put on biscuits. I use a meatless broth powder I get from Frontier to add a meaty flavor if needed.

My roux, otoh, is for gumbos, stew gravies and some types of soup. I can make a good, dark roux in my sleep! :tongue_smilie: It is simply a requirement here in Louisiana!!

ETA: Those having trouble getting a roux dark should try doing it with oil. It doesn't burn like butter, and gets much darker, making for quite a flavorful gravy!

Edited by StaceyinLA

I've always known how to make a white sauce, even though I wasn't much of a cook, but really got good when I moved overseas and there was no choice but to make things with a homemade white sauce. Canned soups just weren't available! Nothing like necessity to kick one in the rear!

I answered yes, with no recipe needed, but now I'm not sure what folks are calling a white sauce.

My roux and white sauce are NOT the same. My white sauce is butter, flour and milk while my roux is oil, flour and milk.

To me, the roux is the fat + flour, whether the fat is butter or oil. The white sauce is what happens when you add milk.

That's what we call it in Iowa, anyway.:)