Menu

anyone use Makuna honey for medicinal purposes?

I've been asking my food co-op to try to get Manuka for a couple of years now. There are some studies that indicate it is more anti-bacterial, fungal, etc. than other honeys. It has been shown to have success with various "flesh eating" bacterias and having sports-involved kids, I'd like to know I could get it quickly if I felt I needed it....

As I understand it, it is now gaining a wider range of usage for its healing properties. It's only made in New Zealand (and maybe Australia), so it's taking some time for it to catch on here..... I think it is going to be one of those all purpose items for the medicine cabinet much like apple cider vinegar....

I'd like to know I could get it quickly if I felt I needed it....

Regena, I bought this one today at Whole Foods - so far it's the only one I've found locally with a high enough UMF #. I found a couple with UMF 5+ at another vitamin store, but I read that under 10 is only useful as table honey.

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Manuka-Honey-Active-15/dp/B001GI18CE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1289169110&sr=8-15 (price was very similar at Whole Foods; with 6 germy kids I'm thinking of stocking up on more, if it does anything helpful)

Yes. For IBS-C.

Hmmm, thanks for pointing me in the direction of constipation! I didn't know that was one of the uses (one of my kids has chronic constipation, long story, which we currently are treating with a combination of probiotics and magnesium citrate).

I have a sore throat that's been bugging me for quite a while, doc did a strep test (since my baby recently had rectal strep), and it turns out I have staph in my throat. I'm on antibiotics now but I came across the manuka information on google. A couple of my kids have nasty looking throats that aren't bothering them enough for me to take them in. I'm testing to see if this reduces their tonsil size :tongue_smilie:. I won't be surprised if it turns out to be snake oil, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does something positive :D.

Edited by wapiti

Yes!

I had 34 days of bloody mucusy diarhea 10-15 times per day from aeromonas hydrophila food poisoning (thanks in-laws!).. I was on a couple different antibiotics.. nothing worked. Finally was scheduled for a colonoscopy.. Then DH told me to try his manuka honey that he used to ulcer symptoms.

The diarrhea was gone in 1 day. When I get a belly issue I take a teaspoon. When I get a sore thoat I use it. When my eczema gets really sore I smear some on.. I love the stuff!!!

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to know it's becoming more widely available.

If manuka can cure MRSA, then I'm sold. Here is an article about that:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090908-mrsa-staph-manuka-honey.html

I've also just recently read that turmeric will cure MRSA. We had a teenage boy who played soccer in our area who died very suddenly from MRSA last school year so the dangers of it are very close to me....

We use Manuka honey by Airborne for wounds. I've heard it's also a good probiotic as some of the PPs have mentioned.

Raw garlic might also help your throat infection. Crush a clove, wait about 10", and then eat it. If you can't stand the taste, you can wrap it in a bit of bread or cheese or eat it with some applesauce.

ETA: Btw, it is Manuka, not Makuna honey, although a good name for it might be Makuna Matata (no worries) honey.

;)

Edited by MBM