Menu

MCT or Phonics Road?

TracyP

I am trying to pick a LA/Grammar program for next year and have narrowed my choices to these two. I'm hoping someone can help me flesh out the differences between them and get to the bottom of what would serve us best.

Phonics Road

*I love the way the lit is interwoven with the grammar with the writing.... you get the point - love this

*I have a natural speller. It won't hurt her to learn the spelling rules but it might be a bit excessive for her.

*I never plan to use it to teach reading. I have two very good readers so far and unless what I've used doesn't work with one of them, I will not "fix" what isn't broken.

*PR looks foolproof for the teacher.

*I don't want to watch the DVD's - but I'd live.

*The "rule tunes" make me want to gag. This is just a personality thing and I'm sure I would get over it but...........ugh, really?

MCT

*This looks like FUN! It looks like fun to teach and it makes me wish I could be an 8yo so I could learn like this.

*I would want to add spelling, handwriting, diagramming and Daily Grams. (also WWE and TOG literature but I'd do these either way)

*I am afraid I might not have the grammar knowledge to teach MCT - especially past Town. I'm very willing and able to learn but I don't want to feel like a deer in the headlights all the time.

If anyone has any thoughts, or something you think I have wrong, or just want to tell me what to do ;) that would be great.

I am trying to pick a LA/Grammar program for next year and have narrowed my choices to these two. I'm hoping someone can help me flesh out the differences between them and get to the bottom of what would serve us best.

MCT

*This looks like FUN! It looks like fun to teach and it makes me wish I could be an 8yo so I could learn like this.

*I would want to add spelling, handwriting, diagramming and Daily Grams. (also WWE and TOG literature but I'd do these either way)

*I am afraid I might not have the grammar knowledge to teach MCT - especially past Town. I'm very willing and able to learn but I don't want to feel like a deer in the headlights all the time.

If anyone has any thoughts, or something you think I have wrong, or just want to tell me what to do ;) that would be great.

I have no input on Phonics Road, but I am an old pro MCT person. I will answer what I can about it.

The things you want to add are fine. I don't think they will interfere or overlap.

I do not think you will have a problem teaching MCT due to your grammar knowledge. I have found that where I thought I had knowledge, I didn't, and MCT has taught me along with my kids. You won't feel like a deer in the headlights. ;) You will learn it with your 8 yo. :D

I am sure that these 2 problems are very different, as I have not come across anything that approaches its subject like MCT (except, possibly, Life of Fred). Go with your gut. MCT is an excellent program. I am sure Phonics road is too.

I am distracted today, so I should go before I crash the site by accident. I thought someone should give you some advice.

I do not think you will have a problem teaching MCT due to your grammar knowledge. I have found that where I thought I had knowledge, I didn't, and MCT has taught me along with my kids. You won't feel like a deer in the headlights. ;) You will learn it with your 8 yo. :D

Thank you, I very much wanted to hear this.:D

Phonics Road

*I love the way the lit is interwoven with the grammar with the writing.... you get the point - love this

*I have a natural speller. It won't hurt her to learn the spelling rules but it might be a bit excessive for her.

*I never plan to use it to teach reading. I have two very good readers so far and unless what I've used doesn't work with one of them, I will not "fix" what isn't broken.

*PR looks foolproof for the teacher.

*I don't want to watch the DVD's - but I'd live.

*The "rule tunes" make me want to gag. This is just a personality thing and I'm sure I would get over it but...........ugh, really?

I've never used or seen Phonics Road, but look at how much of Phonics Road you won't used or don't like.

Phonics Road

*I have a natural speller. It won't hurt her to learn the spelling rules but it might be a bit excessive for her. If nothing more, it will point out patterns for her, which are beneficial even for natural spellers....plus, you have a pipeline of future learners. Who knows if they'll be naturals.

*I never plan to use it to teach reading. I have two very good readers so far and unless what I've used doesn't work with one of them, I will not "fix" what isn't broken. You never know. You have 2 in the wings. If you love PR, you may decide to use it for reading instruction.

*PR looks foolproof for the teacher. It is.

*I don't want to watch the DVD's - but I'd live. This will help you fill your personal grammar gaps and serve as excellent teacher training. Their value goes beyond the programs instruction.

*The "rule tunes" make me want to gag. This is just a personality thing and I'm sure I would get over it but...........ugh, really? Honestly, I'm not much of a sing-song kinda mom, either; however, I adapted and find the rule tunes help my students; therefore, they help me!

MCT

All the pulling from many places drives me nuts. It is Beautiful to have one language arts program to go to for all of elementary school....just beautiful!

I am an English teacher by "trade and training" so LA is very important to me. I purchased and attempted to use Phonics Road because it sounded wonderful - the rules, the spelling/phonics connection, the literature interwoven, etc. While I still stand by the opinion that it IS a rigorous and thorough program, in my experience it was difficult to execute with children who already know how to read - felt like we were in remedial class and "wasting time" going over things my sons already knew. I HATED the video aspect of the teacher's guide, but then, I AM print dependent! (I think if there were a hardcopy of the teacher's guide I would have been more willing to stick it out and would have tried harder to make it work.) On the positive side: we do still use the Phonics Road flashcards when talking about the phonetic sounds because they are presented in a simple and clear way. However, we do NOT use the program because it was just too hard to implement. When I realized that Phonics Road was not going to be a good fit, I looked around for other LA programs and just recently we began using MCT LA . . . we all love, Love, LOVE it! It is SO creatively presented. I think the "genius" of it is the simplicity in explaining what can be confusing and/or complicated information for most kids, especially when they are being introduced to grammar. We are about halfway through Grammar Island and will be introduing the other books in the next couple of weeks, so we're at the beginning, but so far, it has been a wonderful experience! One of the things that I am looking forward to is the interweaving of vocabulary, poetics (NOT a personal favorite, but looks good in these books!), and writing. Hope that helps! Whatever you pick, make sure it is something YOU love and are excited about or it will be a flop. : )

I am an English teacher by "trade and training" so LA is very important to me. I purchased and attempted to use Phonics Road because it sounded wonderful - the rules, the spelling/phonics connection, the literature interwoven, etc. While I still stand by the opinion that it IS a rigorous and thorough program, in my experience it was difficult to execute with children who already know how to read - felt like we were in remedial class and "wasting time" going over things my sons already knew. I HATED the video aspect of the teacher's guide, but then, I AM print dependent! (I think if there were a hardcopy of the teacher's guide I would have been more willing to stick it out and would have tried harder to make it work.) On the positive side: we do still use the Phonics Road flashcards when talking about the phonetic sounds because they are presented in a simple and clear way. However, we do NOT use the program because it was just too hard to implement. When I realized that Phonics Road was not going to be a good fit, I looked around for other LA programs and just recently we began using MCT LA . . . we all love, Love, LOVE it! It is SO creatively presented. I think the "genius" of it is the simplicity in explaining what can be confusing and/or complicated information for most kids, especially when they are being introduced to grammar. We are about halfway through Grammar Island and will be introduing the other books in the next couple of weeks, so we're at the beginning, but so far, it has been a wonderful experience! One of the things that I am looking forward to is the interweaving of vocabulary, poetics (NOT a personal favorite, but looks good in these books!), and writing. Hope that helps! Whatever you pick, make sure it is something YOU love and are excited about or it will be a flop. : )
:lol::lol: I'm an English teacher at my core, too! Funny how mileage varies! I find PR's implementation ideal! :smilielol5:

Pick up an inexpensive used copy of Warriner's and you'll have a handy-dandy reference that (A) goes into more depth than MCT & (B) is much easier to locate the specific information you're seeking.

Pick up an inexpensive used copy of Warriner's and you'll have a handy-dandy reference that (A) goes into more depth than MCT & (B) is much easier to locate the specific information you're seeking.

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/English-Composition-Grammar-Complete-Course/dp/0153117362/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289241715&sr=1-1

John Warriner wrote a series of excellent grammar books. I don't have this particular one (mine I believe is the 3rd course) but it should presumably work.

Haha, I was just coming back to ask that - I even had the link ready.:lol:

That looks like something that might be nice to have on hand no matter what I choose.

Carrie, thank you for chiming in. I don't think there are very many who have used both programs so your input is very helpful.

:lol::lol: I'm an English teacher at my core, too! Funny how mileage varies! I find PR's implementation ideal! :smilielol5:

Tina, you were SO helpful to me when I was researching PR that I almost felt like I had failed YOU when I gave it up! Ha! Ha! Anyway, it is hands down the best I've seen for introducing phonics and Mrs. Beers was wonderful to talk with, but the DVD format killed me. :001_huh: It IS funny how we're all different, but that is what is so wonderful about us all, isn't it?!

Tina, you were SO helpful to me when I was researching PR that I almost felt like I had failed YOU when I gave it up! Ha! Ha! Anyway, it is hands down the best I've seen for introducing phonics and Mrs. Beers was wonderful to talk with, but the DVD format killed me. :001_huh: It IS funny how we're all different, but that is what is so wonderful about us all, isn't it?!
:D That's funny b/c each time someone throws in the PR towel, I wonder how I could have helped. Maybe I'll submit to Mrs. Beer a request for DVD transcripts. Maybe that could be a problem solver for many of us! I'll have to write the screen play! HA!

Haha, I was just coming back to ask that - I even had the link ready.:lol:

That looks like something that might be nice to have on hand no matter what I choose.

Carrie, thank you for chiming in. I don't think there are very many who have used both programs so your input is very helpful.

You are very welcome - making decisions about curricula is SO tough! Any and all help welcome is my motto! :001_smile: Let us know what you decide!

:D That's funny b/c each time someone throws in the PR towel, I wonder how I could have helped. Maybe I'll submit to Mrs. Beer a request for DVD transcripts. Maybe that could be a problem solver for many of us! I'll have to write the screen play! HA!

Honestly, that is a GREAT idea!

That is one of my concerns. I have severe ADHD and sometimes need "paper" to refer to, even after watching it on DVD.

I LOVE the DVD option, but it would be awesome to be able to review on paper if I needed to.

You are very welcome - making decisions about curricula is SO tough! Any and all help welcome is my motto! :001_smile: Let us know what you decide!

I am going with MCT! The last line in your post is really what stuck with me.

Whatever you pick, make sure it is something YOU love and are excited about or it will be a flop. : )
I like the idea of PR and knowing all my bases are covered. It almost feels safer or something. :tongue_smilie:The thought of MCT excites me more than any other hs purchase so far so I have to give it a whirl. Now being patient until my tax return comes is the next hard step.

That is awesome! Aren't you so relieved to have made the decision?! Just today my 8 (almost 9!) yo son told me again how much he LOVES MCT. : ) And that was after we started getting into the harder to understand concepts of direct object and subject compliments! Ha! Ha! Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask if you need help or encouragement. : )

DVD transcripts would definitely be a great option for those of us who are print dependent! Good idea.

:iagree:

I read fast, I wouldn't want a DVD for something I already know. On the other hand, I'm loving my Latin Alive DVD, I'm finally understanding Latin!

Of course, I will not be using it because I know all those rules and like to teach phonics and spelling rules myself using syllables via Webster's Speller, but I would love to look at someone's and make sure it's something I could recommend (which I strongly suspect I could, but I hate to recommend something I haven't held in my hand.) It's a lot easier to scan a page than a DVD.

Edit: We're still loving MCT, BTW!

We're only half way through Grammar Island, so not a lot of MCT experience yet. But I am SOLD so far! My very mathy, sciencey son has always complained about any LA we have used. Always. Expect for Grammar Island which he LOVES. He asks to do grammar. He got upset the other day when something unexpected came up and we had to put it off to the next day. He's learned more grammar in two months than in the previous two years combined.

Yes, I have to supplement spelling. And we still use WWE for writing. It would be nice to have something all in one, BUT I'd rather do the extra work to have something my son raves about and does willingly. :D