Menu

R&S Spelling V. Spelling Workout

mom4him

We have been slowly working back into a school routine after getting back from our extended stay in Denver. Last week I realized that I had not gotten anything for spelling. I am looking at either R&S or SW.

Can you lovely ladies and Gents that have used either or both of these programs share what you liked, didn't like, if you had it to do over what you would use?

I really need something that can be pretty independent and both of these look like they fit that. Are there others that fit that cat. also?

Share with me, PLEASE?

I've used both, and prefer R&S by far. :)

Both:

-consumable workbook, assuming that 10yo in your sig is a fifth grader (R&S 6th grade and up are textbooks, but they don't end up writing any more on notebook paper than they would in the workbook.)

-mostly independent

-open and go

-the higher levels become more root vocabulary based and the emphasis on actual spelling is toned down

R&S:

-really makes them work with the spelling/phonics rules

-teaches the hows and whys of spelling

-lists may seem easy, but the exercises more than make up for it, these books aren't about memorizing a list of words

SWO:

-mentions the rule once in each lesson, in a spot that could be totally skipped by the student unless you go over it with them, nothing in the exercises requires them to use it

-exercises are more "fun" and puzzle-like

-has an editing section and small writing assignment (which we always skipped)

I haven't seen R&S Spelling, although I'm sure it's a good program as R&S are generally thorough and well thought of.

We use Spelling Workout and I'm very happy with it. It may help that we're using the MCP Phonics and Word Study books as well. I guess SW done alone might be a bit thin.

I've used both, and prefer R&S by far. :)

Both:

-consumable workbook, assuming that 10yo in your sig is a fifth grader (R&S 6th grade and up are textbooks, but they don't end up writing any more on notebook paper than they would in the workbook.)

-mostly independent

-open and go

-the higher levels become more root vocabulary based and the emphasis on actual spelling is toned down

R&S:

-really makes them work with the spelling/phonics rules

-teaches the hows and whys of spelling

-lists may seem easy, but the exercises more than make up for it, these books aren't about memorizing a list of words

SWO:

-mentions the rule once in each lesson, in a spot that could be totally skipped by the student unless you go over it with them, nothing in the exercises requires them to use it

-exercises are more "fun" and puzzle-like

-has an editing section and small writing assignment (which we always skipped)

:iagree:

We started out with SWO and switched to R&S. I much prefer R&S. The activities teach students about the English language. SWO activities often seemed like busy work and could be frustrating for my child who is not a puzzle person. I remember activities where she was supposed to unscramble letters to form a word on her list. If you don't like puzzles, this is time-consuming, frustrating, and doesn't do much to reinforce the spelling.