Menu

Pic of child's school desk. Can you take a quick peek of pic and give me your vote?

We own three of them and we love them. They are used by my 11yo, my 9yo and my 5 yo. There are two height adjustments and they're study enough that anyone weighing up to about 80 pounds would be comfortable sitting in one. I weigh about 35 pounds more than that and I can sit in one long enough to teach a Math lesson if necessary. They are compact enough to put three across in the office and the kids use them everyday. They even use them when we aren't using them for school. We have other full sized desks upstairs in bedrooms that they don't use, so I think they like having something just the right size. Great purchase for us.

Barb

I just read where they're only 16 inches across!

Barb, have you found it to be wide enough?

Do books/stuff slide off easily?

No, they're 24 inches across. They are 16 inches deep. Plenty big enough for bookwork or an open notebook. Not good for a laptop plus a notebook, obviously, but this isn't usually an issue for an elementary schooler. Books and papers slide off not at all. The slant is slight--enough for writing comfort but functionally unnoticeable.

ETA: Here's a picture of two of them. I hadn't bought one for my son yet at this point.

9e70899d.jpg

And here's a picture of my son watching a cat on a treadmill on Youtube. You can see the width of the desk compared to the laptop. Plenty of space

17d8d88d.jpg

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Ooohhh, I'm glad to hear the good reviews! I actually considered this desk for DD last year, then decided against it because of the slant. She really, really wants "a desk with a lift-up lid, like Fern has in Charlotte's Web". :lol: Of course, now that we've been homeschooling for over a year, I know we might not ever use it. Ohhh, what to do, what to do...

Ooohhh, I'm glad to hear the good reviews! I actually considered this desk for DD last year, then decided against it because of the slant. She really, really wants "a desk with a lift-up lid, like Fern has in Charlotte's Web". :lol: Of course, now that we've been homeschooling for over a year, I know we might not ever use it. Ohhh, what to do, what to do...

You should totally do it for Christmas then. Better than a toy and she can act out her book fantasy. Actually, when I bought ours I figured the kids would play school more than they'd actually use them for school but they were fairly inexpensive and I figured that if my older girls were really too old for them, the younger two would use them. I was surprised that they actually preferred to do their schoolwork there. As an added bonus, we ditched the backpacks and the storing their books all over the house method of organization. The inside is shockingly roomy. Other than the hinge that wants to get sticky, it's a really well-engineered piece.

Barb

Barb,

Is this the same website (which I listed on the OP) from where you ordered yours? Where'd you get yours? Looks like identical desk as pic's.

Nice to know they're 24 inches across.

I thought about asking my FIL to make one, but after I bought him to wood and (would insist on paying) he labor, I couldn't beat 119.

I bought this one in purple for my DD. She loves it. She only uses it for math workbook and copywork (mostly because everything else tends to get done sitting next to each other on the floor), but she sits at it and draws a lot. I think having a "real" desk and chair, in her favorite color, made a big difference in her feeling like she was "really" doing school.

http://www.schoolroomfurniture.com/Virco%AE-785-and-9000-VR3848.html?cv=Virco%AE-9000-Series-Chair-and-Open-Front-Desk-Bundle.jpg

I have to ask. Gotta link for that?

But of course!

My son has this weird fascination with toilets. We have to visit the toilet in any store and restaurant we enter. If you invite us over, we will excuse ourselves at some point to look at the shape of your toilet. Some are friendly and others are not. I have no idea of the criteria. We can spend an hour in Home Depot checking out all the empties :D

He's also really into vacuums. He isn't quite quirky enough to be firmly on the spectrum, but life with my boy is interesting.

Barb

Barb,

Is this the same website (which I listed on the OP) from where you ordered yours? Where'd you get yours? Looks like identical desk as pic's.

Nice to know they're 24 inches across.

I thought about asking my FIL to make one, but after I bought him to wood and (would insist on paying) he labor, I couldn't beat 119.

I actually did order mine there and had a very good experience but there are more options, come to find out. Here is a similar desk from the same company that sells for $78 shipped from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lipper-International-Childs-Chalkboard-Chair/dp/B000WXWX32/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

Make sure to check out the customer images because there is a picture of a 3yo sitting at it that gives you a really good idea as to the size and shape. The inside is more shallow so we decided against, but if most of your books will be on a shelf, you may want to go with this option.

Otherwise, Babyage is the cheapest place to find the other desk right now. Amazon and Walmart had them for $69 earlier in the fall for back to school! Right now you can pick up the flip top desk for $99 and free shipping. Plus use the coupon CUNA10 for an extra 10% off.

Barb

I bought this one in purple for my DD. She loves it. She only uses it for math workbook and copywork (mostly because everything else tends to get done sitting next to each other on the floor), but she sits at it and draws a lot. I think having a "real" desk and chair, in her favorite color, made a big difference in her feeling like she was "really" doing school.

http://www.schoolroomfurniture.com/Virco%AE-785-and-9000-VR3848.html?cv=Virco%AE-9000-Series-Chair-and-Open-Front-Desk-Bundle.jpg

The adjustable leg-height on this one is a nice feature, too.

I don't have any experience with that desk but it's super cute and I was just reading something about handwriting by Barchowsky and it said that a slanted desk is the best for penmanship! :)

Even better! Thanks for this info.

I dislike. My boys have flat desks which is, I think, essential for art work. There is nothing more annoying than having your pencil, paper, book falling off a desk. Also, for Kindergarten, you really don't need a desk except for art. By the time she will need to do any lengthy writing, she will probably have outgrown it. I don't think it looks very comfortable.

Also, if it is one of the ones where the stuff is stored inside the top, that is really hard for little people do deal with, you have to take what you are working on off the top to get crayons or whatever you need that happens to be inside.

I dislike. My boys have flat desks which is, I think, essential for art work. There is nothing more annoying than having your pencil, paper, book falling off a desk. Also, for Kindergarten, you really don't need a desk except for art. By the time she will need to do any lengthy writing, she will probably have outgrown it. I don't think it looks very comfortable.

Also, if it is one of the ones where the stuff is stored inside the top, that is really hard for little people do deal with, you have to take what you are working on off the top to get crayons or whatever you need that happens to be inside.

I was going to say this too--pencils and crayons would just want to roll off.

The school where I student taught had flip top desks like that and they were a pain to deal with for that reason, and also because of pinched fingers. Beautiful though!

I like it and want one....two. But I'm confused about the size. The website says it's for ages 2-7????? And it's listed in the pre-school section. Barb says her 11 year old uses it. So, are you absolutely sure it's the same desk she has?

There are two sets of holes. My 5yo and petite 9yo use it on the lower setting. My 11yo uses it on the higher setting. But she is only 53 inches and 60 pounds if that helps.

Also, my 2yo can sit at it and draw even though it's a little high for her and her feet don't touch the ground. I would say an appropriate age range is closer to 4-9 for the average sized child. 2-7 seems low to me.

Barb

Thanks for chiming back in. That gives my 7 year old some growing room.

There are two sets of holes. My 5yo and petite 9yo use it on the lower setting. My 11yo uses it on the higher setting. But she is only 53 inches and 60 pounds if that helps.

Also, my 2yo can sit at it and draw even though it's a little high for her and her feet don't touch the ground. I would say an appropriate age range is closer to 4-9 for the average sized child. 2-7 seems low to me.

I'm not a fan of slant desks, either, for similar reason to OD Heather.

Here are the ones we went with. I like that they adjust down to our kindergartner and still have room to adjust up from our 10 year old.

Where did you get these?

You do all realize that now that you have opened the link to look at that desk that seemingly sweet little girl will be smiling her evil smile sitting at that desk on every. single. website. you now visit.

Sorry. She haunts me. Has for months. I'm considering surfing for some p*rn just to get rid of her and get some new cookies on my browser.

You do all realize that now that you have opened the link to look at that desk that seemingly sweet little girl will be smiling her evil smile sitting at that desk on every. single. website. you now visit.

Sorry. She haunts me. Has for months. I'm considering surfing for some p*rn just to get rid of her and get some new cookies on my browser.

Sorry, but I'm not following you. Can you explain?

Barb,

If one had a project for which she needed it to be a flat top, would it be something where you could add a wedge under the edge to jack up the edge to make it flat?

No but there is a flat area on the top where the pencil holder is. It's about 4.5 inches deep and runs the width of the desk. Deep enough to lay crayons and set a bottle of glue, or whatever. A really big project would need a kitchen table because it's school desk sized, but the partial slant is really a pro rather than a con, IMO.

:lol: and :confused:

Sorry, but I'm not following you. Can you explain?

Sorry, I thought a few that had seen this before would chime in. Someone posted about this desk months ago. The website it was from at the time...Pottery Barn maybe... put cookies on my computer so it showed up as the sidebar ad e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. You know how that happens. You surf around shopping for this or that and now the cookies are on there and show up as sidebar ads. It was funny because the smiling little girl showed up on every page and kind got to where she was creeping me out. Somebody posted about it too.

Anyhooooooo...I guess it was one of those funny-in-my-own-head "guess you had to be there" things.:confused::D:leaving:

Sorry, I thought a few that had seen this before would chime in. Someone posted about this desk months ago. The website it was from at the time...Pottery Barn maybe... put cookies on my computer so it showed up as the sidebar ad e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. You know how that happens. You surf around shopping for this or that and now the cookies are on there and show up as sidebar ads. It was funny because the smiling little girl showed up on every page and kind got to where she was creeping me out. Somebody posted about it too.

Anyhooooooo...I guess it was one of those funny-in-my-own-head "guess you had to be there" things.:confused::D:leaving:

Just wanted to comment so you don't think you're crazy. DH and I are researching adoption and now the cyberspace knows it. All my sidebar ads are for adoption agencies and have these super cute little baby pics on them all the time. Great. :glare: Nothing like being reminded all the time that you don't have a baby by internet advertising. Maybe I'll do some internet shopping at Pottery Barn to switch it over.