Menu

Silver Polishing Tip of the Day

MIL is coming tomorrow. I've been cleaning all day - including polishing the silver I think we'll use while she's here. I was out of silver polish and did not wish to run to the store so late, so I decided to try . . . TOOTHPASTE!!!!! And it worked! I use it sometimes to do a fast sparkle job on my rings, so I decided to try it on the silver. It looks great, and basic, white paste toothpaste is cheaper than polish, and it's fume-free. Wahoo!!!:party:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

That's what we were instructed to use on pennies before electroplating zinc onto them. I couldn't believe how well it worked! Too bad I don't have any silver to polish:lol:

When I lived in Germany, the woman I lived with used silverware (ie real silver forks etc.) for everyday. They needed to be polished often. She'd take them all, wrap them in aluminum foil, and put them in the sink covered with water, then added salt. Took off the tarnish, no work (and super cheap).

Haven't tried it much myself, as I'm usually polishing some piece of silver jewelry that I want to wear right now. I should try the toothpaste...

MIL is coming tomorrow. I've been cleaning all day - including polishing the silver I think we'll use while she's here. I was out of silver polish and did not wish to run to the store so late, so I decided to try . . . TOOTHPASTE!!!!! And it worked! I use it sometimes to do a fast sparkle job on my rings, so I decided to try it on the silver. It looks great, and basic, white paste toothpaste is cheaper than polish, and it's fume-free. Wahoo!!!:party:

Dh's uncle is a jeweler. He gave me the same suggestion. It does work good on any place you can touch/rub with the toothpaste.

I was recently cleaning a necklace that had areas I couldn't get to. I tried the foil/salt/baking soda method and it cleaned the little grooves better. I think that the foil/salt/baking soda isn't good for repeated use due to the loss of silver, but it worked great for a silver piece of costume jewelry.