Menu

Lang Arts curriculum for very advanced 2nd grader

74Heaven

HI, I'd like some suggestions for 2nd grade/3rd grade Lang Arts Curric.

I want something grab-and-go, *very* easy-to-use Lang Arts for my 2nd grade (lastborn, been reading for 3yrs). I am using A Beka gr 2 but it is 80%+ phonics and he doesn't need the phonics at all. What he does need is reinforcement and instruction in general language arts mechanics and parts of speech, writing, etc. I am considering just getting the 3rd gr. A Beka which I know is firm, traditional language arts. I am also buying Shurley Eng for 2nd or 3rd grade.

In the past, we have used A Beka for Lang Arts 1st-3rd; then switched to Shurley in 4th-6th Lev 4,6,7), then a year of Rod & Staff gr. 7 partnered with IEW for 8-9th grade. We do Latin as well, so their grammar skills are pretty strong by the time this sequence is completed.

Reading and WWE I have covered. Mostly real books and oral narrations.

I am just wondering what else is out there that I should consider for this last son. Also, price is important. Cheap is better :).

Lisaj

My ds7 is doing MCT Grammar Island w/ his older sibs and loving it. It is written for gifted students supposedly, but only my ds would qualify and all are gleaning so much. We do most sentences on a white board and make a game of it. The books have fun stories to teach the points and we all love it.

I also have a very advanced 2nd grader, reading since he was 3 .He loves books , writing and has a very extensive language for his age.

I am trying to decide between R&S and BJU. BJU seems very well done but more teacher intensive. I really like the writing instruction , introduction to poetry , literary terms (like simile , onomatopoeia , etc ) . R&S seems very basic . I have it but did not use it yet.

I am also :bigear:

Would the 3rd grade book be too advanced? I know the older grades of R&S are a bit advanced.

ALso considering the Primary Language Lessons but I don't know anything about that! I'll go look it up. For some reason, I am thinking it is a Peace Hill Press publication?

Not considering MCT or Critical Thinking mostly because of the cost. Thanks tho - if this were a challenging subject for this son, I'd open my wallet a little more :).

Thanks again. My main critique of R&S is that it isn't consumable. I love consumable at the is age. Just so much easier to have it all bound together in my busy, 1000s-of-pieces-of-paper household :).

Lisaj

ALso considering the Primary Language Lessons but I don't know anything about that! I'll go look it up. For some reason, I am thinking it is a Peace Hill Press publication?

j

Actually, that's First Language Lessons, which is grammar only. There are several different Primary Language Lessons books, the most popular is by Emma Serl.

ALso considering the Primary Language Lessons .... My main critique of R&S is that it isn't consumable. I love consumable at the is age. Just so much easier to have it all bound together in my busy, 1000s-of-pieces-of-paper household :).

PLL is available in workbook format here.

HI, I'd like some suggestions for 2nd grade/3rd grade Lang Arts Curric.

I am just wondering what else is out there that I should consider for this last son. Also, price is important. Cheap is better :).

Since you already have Shurley and WWE for grammar and narration, if you do want to add something, you could check out some of the vintage Lang Lessons books. I would suggest Sheldon's PLL or books by William Swinton, Mary Frances Hyde or William Swinton.

HTH

Since you already have Shurley and WWE for grammar and narration, if you do want to add something, you could check out some of the vintage Lang Lessons books. I would suggest Sheldon's PLL or books by William Swinton, Mary Frances Hyde or William Swinton.

HTH

But thanks for the suggestions - these sound pretty neat!

lisaj, who meant to post that I was considering buying Shurley 2 or 3