Menu

Psychological Dangers of Raising a Child Prodigy

engu

Children with intellectual potential that is very high often do not achieve that potential. Environment plays a huge role in achievement-it's why kids from environments that are less rich in vocabulary and books rarely develop the same gifts as kids from more language-enriched environments.

I agree. I don't think a prodigy is born, but made. Good point that there needs to be natural ability -- I do believe that some children learn certain skills more quickly and easily than other children.

I disagree with this.

(As an example -- I have one who picks up physical skills with ease and one who is more of a klutz.) Although there may be natural ability, a prodigy needs hours and hours of focused practice in order to attain advanced skill (thinking musicians here).

And this. If kid practiced, sure, he'd be a world class piper. He hates practicing. Every world class piper who has ever met him stands in awe of his abilities in piobaireachd (a particular type of piping that is considered the most advanced). It is a skill set that pipers are born with or not, as it requires a combination of feeling as well as technical ability, and the "passion", if you will, cannot be taught. Perhaps some day he'll get a wild hair up his rear and decide to practice all day and win all of the competitions. If he wants to do that, that is fine, if not, so be it; he plays for himself.

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but it is my understanding that you can't hold back a true prodigy, nor can for force someone who is not a prodigy to become one. You can encourage them or discourage them. I don't think that there is any method that will create one. The issue of psychological danger to the prodigy of raising them as a prodigy is moot. It might be psychologically dangerous to hold back someone who is a prodigy or to try to expect someone who is not a prodigy to act as if they were.

I agree with this. Kid has intuitively understood quantum physics as long as I've known him. I don't understand it. He has a shelf of physics books that he has never really read, but I have bought in case he wants to. I will make sure he learns basic calculus so that he can take calculus at the university level. I won't hold him back, but I refuse to put expectations on him to become the next Richard Feynman. I've read too many horror stories of pushed prodigies committing suicide.

asta

If kid practiced, sure, he'd be a world class piper. He hates practicing. Every world class piper who has ever met him stands in awe of his abilities in piobaireachd (a particular type of piping that is considered the most advanced).

The inborn traits (whether motivation or ability or both) are a pre-requisite of sorts, but without the practice, there is no possibility of being "world class." Hence my statement that a musical prodigy is made.

One distinction I find useful is separating a child's skills and abilities from demonstrations of those skills and abilities.

You can have a child who is a musical prodigy, and nurture that child's talent with appropriate lessons and access to resources and practice time. But you don't have to put that child on a concert stage.

You can have a child who reads fluently at age two without putting that two-year-old in front of friends and relatives or other children to "perform."

You can have a nine-year-old math prodigy and provide him with ability-appropriate lessons, materials, and tutors without putting him on a high school or college-level competitive math team, or seeking early entry to MIT.

Okay, some children legitimately have an inner competitive drive which makes adult-level performance pressure something they seek out themselves. But I think that more often it's either parents wanting external validation for their child's performance, or else just an assumption that it's "the next thing," as in, if a six-year-old can master adult-level classical performance repertoire, then "the next thing" is giving adult-style concert performances.

But professional-level performance in ANY field is not necessarily developmentally appropriate for children, even if they have the ability.

Smart, talented kids are still just as smart and talented even if they don't produce "proofs" of their talents for others.

One distinction I find useful is separating a child's skills and abilities from demonstrations of those skills and abilities.

You can have a child who is a musical prodigy, and nurture that child's talent with appropriate lessons and access to resources and practice time. But you don't have to put that child on a concert stage.

But professional-level performance in ANY field is not necessarily developmentally appropriate for children, even if they have the ability.

Smart, talented kids are still just as smart and talented even if they don't produce "proofs" of their talents for others.

:iagree: I would like to add, though, that some dc want to practice an instrument 5 hours a day, and it's okay to let them if it's their choice and they are passionate about it. It doesn't mean they need to perform at a professional level.

I particularly agree with that last statement, and think it is unwise for peopel to assume that the natural ability necessarily disappears simply because dc aren't motivated. Look at Martha Graham, for instance. She didn't start dancing until she was 35 and she was/is brilliantly talented. How many dancers ever end up with such a famous dance company? That said, some areas are best studied at a young age for maximum realization of gifts (math, for instance, where most brillant new things come from very young people, physics, where it's usually by 30, so these are examples of where education neglect is going to show up the fastest) but not all areas (eg philosoph--and that's not just life experience, but how our brains change as we age--you don't see child prodigies there.) Martha Graham was too old to become a ballerina, but not to become a world class dancer. So far I don't konw of any virtuoso pianists who started as adults, but I'd be happy to hear of some, but classical singers can start as young adults and still reach that level; I knew one, although she chose a different life.

It is sad, though, to see intellectual neglect that some gifted dc get, because it does limit them even if it doesn't take their innate abi