Menu

Help with Blending Words in PP

I've been using Phonics Pathway with 4.4 year old DD. We made steady progress with vowels, consonants and cv blends. However when we got to p44 (cvc blends), she started to complain that she can't do it. Each word is pretty much the same, i.e. ben, hen, pen etc... so you'd think the process is pretty logical. If I form the same words on a letter board, she has no trouble blending. But when I ask her to blend the words in the book, she gets distressed and starts complaining. Every lesson this week has started and ended this same way.

So far, we've continued to press on, about 1/2 page each day, using the letter board and playing games to keep things fun. But this situation is wearing my patience thin :mad:.

Should I continue until we make a break through? Take a break and come back later? Or go on to another program?

Honestly? My opinion is that she may just not be ready, and taking a break would be the best thing. In the meantime you could work on her phonemic awareness [which--just in case you don't already know this; I'm NOT trying to insult you, but it is a fine distinction that not everyone knows, so please forgive me if you already know this :blush5:--is the auditory awareness of sounds and syllables in words completely apart from the visual sound-symbol connection] by playing games: nursery rhymes, clapping syllables, playing with words by changing one sound to make a new word--Raffi does this a lot in his songs, breaking words apart, combining parts [again all orally] to make words, etc.

I'm doing PP with my 6.5 yo, and I'm really glad I switched from OPGTR. Good luck!

I'm using the letter board to introduce each word she is going to blend. Since I only need to replace the first letter, this is not too tiresome. After we've gone through a few words on the letter board, we go through the book. She seems to prefer this approach to just pronouncing things out of the book:001_huh:.

I think it's teaching while taking into account her learning style - she's a kinesthetic learner. I learnt this from the MEP lessons where there appears to be a lot of activity, rather than just going through a book or following an example. By the end of every MEP lesson she's begging for more, and I'm hoping to do the same with PP.

I've ordered Explode the Code and the Bob Books to keep the momentum going.

Edited by engu

I'm using the letter board to introduce each word she is going to blend. Since I only need to replace the first letter, this is not too tiresome. After we've gone through a few words on the letter board, we go through the book. She seems to prefer this approach to just pronouncing things out of the book:001_huh:.

I think it's teaching while taking into account her learning style - she's a kinesthetic learner. I learnt this from the MEP lessons where there appears to be a lot of activity, rather than just going through a book or following an example. By the end of every MEP lesson she's begging for more, and I'm hoping to do the same with PP.

I've ordered Explode the Code and the Bob Books to keep the momentum going.

I've used PP for three kids. My son hated the sight of the book, and would break into tears if I opened it. I think all those words on the page were just too intimidating. But, if I wrote the sounds and words on a white board, and let him draw a little picture next to each word he read, he loved the lessons.

Check out these ideas for keeping things fun and interesting.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/games-for-phonics-pathways/

And, remember that it's not a race. She might not be ready to move on yet, but that's okay. Just keep it light and fun. Remember that you can't push a string. If her little brain is saturated, there's no way you're going to cram more information into it. She's little. Enjoy your time together, and read, read, read (to her! lol) :)

ETA: I forgot to mention that my ds, who hated learning to read, was 6 1/2 at the time. That's why I pushed him. If had been your dd's age, I would have just backed off.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ