Menu

Just got back from Homeschool Day at Mt. Vernon!

The place was packed. I've been there about ten times in the past few years and I've never seen it so crammed with people. They had to open the employee parking lot for the overflow and it was chock full as well! Still, the weather was beautiful - chilly but not uncomfortably so. It's always nice to see the Potomac River from the mansion. And we got to meet Martha Washington.:) For a minute or two there I really thought it was her! The costumed interpreter did an absolutely fabulous job of portraying our first First Lady - she almost had me in tears a few times when she talked of some of her younger relatives dying.

If you ever get the opportunity to go to Mt. Vernon - discounted tickets or not - GO! We feel so blessed to live within a reasonable driving distance.

Oh, I've got to add this to our to do list. We lived in DC once before and never did make it down there.

Was it worth holding out for the homeschool days? Are there special presentations or just a price discount?

I appreciated the discounted ticket prices - made the admission cost about half-price for my family - but I wouldn't hold out for that reason. Mt. Vernon has lots of different days when there are special tours, programs and costumed interpreters. Just check the website to see what's going and plan accordingly. A few years ago we bought a yearly pass for everyone - it was a very good deal then (not sure about now - didn't check that) and went several times over the course of the year. Each time there was something new and different. If you live in the area, I think that's the best value.

http://www.mountvernon.org/

Was it worth holding out for the homeschool days? Are there special presentations or just a price discount?

:lurk5: We visited Monticello for the first time last month and loved it. I also loved that my parents paid our admission price. It was $$$$! They took a side trip to DC and Mt. Vernon, and enjoyed Mt. Vernon very much too.

I'm so glad you went and enjoyed it. Our homeschool co-op meets about 1/8 of a mile from Mt. Vernon on Fridays -- we were here at home though cause both dds are not feeling well.

You had a great day weather wise!:)

I didn't realize you were so close. I'm sorry your dds aren't well - hope they're better soon.

Yes, the weather was pitch perfect.:) The crowd wasn't - especially the parking situation - but once we got inside we had a really great time. It was especially nice to get in for about half the price of normal tickets. I'm not the least bit adventurous so this was definitely outside the box for me - but my kids really love the place so we went.

I didn't realize you were so close. I'm sorry your dds aren't well - hope they're better soon.

Yes, the weather was pitch perfect.:) The crowd wasn't - especially the parking situation - but once we got inside we had a really great time. It was especially nice to get in for about half the price of normal tickets. I'm not the least bit adventurous so this was definitely outside the box for me - but my kids really love the place so we went.

Yup, I am THAT close!:D The kids and I can always tell when something is going on at MV b/c we will be right there with the crowds as we try to get to co-op for 9am. We come in from Rt 1 and then hang a left at the three way stop. One Sunday night, we were leaving a special event at co-op at 9pm, and there must have been a 'very exclusive' event going on at MV b/c the limousine vans were lined up FOREVER! So cool to see the stuff that goes on here! And, I agree, half price is excellent -- I remember when I took my fourth grade class, these were kids whose families did not have a dime to spare and the admission was kind of pricey for them so I picked up half of everyone's admission. It IS a neat place!:)

I adore Mt. Vernon! I grew up on the east coast, but since moving west, haven't had a chance to get back as often as I would like. We had a chance two summers ago and thoroughly enjoyed it! Anyone who finds themselves in DC needs to schedule a side trip to Mt. Vernon. It's well worth it!

We live less than 2 hours from Mount Vernon and finally made our first trip there for Homeschool Day today. I enjoyed it a lot and so did my 10 year old but my younger kids were bored and weren't that into it. I had bought a ticket for my 12 yo and was going to pull her from school for it but she decided she didn't want to miss school. I know she would have loved it so we'll have to go back on a weekend sometime. I saw lots of people from our homeschool group even though it's a pretty good drive. They definitely had a good turn out.

The weather couldn't have been more perfect. If it had been like yesterday I almost would have reconsidered making the trip. We had no trouble parking but we got there around 10 am.

And we got to meet Martha Washington.:) For a minute or two there I really thought it was her! The costumed interpreter did an absolutely fabulous job of portraying our first First Lady - she almost had me in tears a few times when she talked of some of her younger relatives dying.

If you ever get the opportunity to go to Mt. Vernon - discounted tickets or not - GO! We feel so blessed to live within a reasonable driving distance.

We took dd on a surprise trip to DC last June for her 13th birthday and spent a day at Mount Vernon. I hadn't been there in 25 years and couldn't believe the change-- for the better. "Visiting" with Mrs. Washington was absolutely a highlight of the whole trip. The interpreter was PHENOMENAL. SHE is worth the trip/admission price/crowds alone.

So glad you had a good time, Kathleen!

astrid

We took dd on a surprise trip to DC last June for her 13th birthday and spent a day at Mount Vernon. I hadn't been there in 25 years and couldn't believe the change-- for the better. "Visiting" with Mrs. Washington was absolutely a highlight of the whole trip. The interpreter was PHENOMENAL. SHE is worth the trip/admission price/crowds alone.

So glad you had a good time, Kathleen!

astrid

Astrid, I'm so glad you got to see her too. I bet it was the same woman - can't imagine two people being able to portray her so well since it means not just being a great actress but also being completely soaked in the history of the place and the family. It's nifty to find someone else who understands what I mean about her - it is difficult to convey to others how talented she was and why that was such an awesome part of the whole experience.

We live less than 2 hours from Mount Vernon and finally made our first trip there for Homeschool Day today. I enjoyed it a lot and so did my 10 year old but my younger kids were bored and weren't that into it. I had bought a ticket for my 12 yo and was going to pull her from school for it but she decided she didn't want to miss school. I know she would have loved it so we'll have to go back on a weekend sometime. I saw lots of people from our homeschool group even though it's a pretty good drive. They definitely had a good turn out.

The weather couldn't have been more perfect. If it had been like yesterday I almost would have reconsidered making the trip. We had no trouble parking but we got there around 10 am.

Yup, I saw many, many toddlers and babies in strollers and I felt bad for the moms. Lots of them were trying to tote these little ones down to the 16-sided wheat threshing barn - an incredibly steep hike!!! - and they all looked so worn and stressed. I would try to find a babysitter if I had little ones - actually that's exactly what I did when I took our Spanish exchange student there in 1991. My two oldest were 4 and 2 at the time and I'm very glad I left them at my mom's that day. It's hard, though, when you have a large family and you're already dishing out money for admission - paying a babysitter would have made it a no deal situation for me. Definitely take them back when they're older though.

One thing I love is that each time we go, my kids are a little older and a little smarter and have learned more things about history. The first time I took Ds14 he had just read Guns for General Washington by Seymour Reit which is all about how Henry Knox - an artillery expert - retrieved a lot of cannons from Ft. Ticonderoga that were used later for the attack on British fleet in Boston Harbor.

This time, he had just learned about Napoleon and the superiority of the British Navy and the British empire (the Battle of Trafalgar) so he had much more of an appreciation for what the Continental Army accomplished. So much of our winning the Rev. War was due entirely to General Washington's brilliant strategy since we were greatly outnumbered and out-trained.

Wish we had made it! I had planned to go, but dd had ear surgery recently and I was afraid to take her out in the wind and crowds. Glad you had a good time!

On President's Day the admission is free and they have lots of activites then too. Hopefully you can make it out then. It can be a bit nippy however. Around here, though, you never really know what the weather will be then. Some years we have very balmy days in winter.

I'm so glad you had a great time, Kathleen!

We are deeply connected to Mt. Vernon, as dh is Rector of George's church (most of you know that). We go to the Birthnight Ball every February; although it's a challenge for me because of needing to find something to wear, and because I don't really like being among so many strangers, one of the highlights is that we see Mrs. Washington, and George, too! Mrs. W is fantastic, as you said. She's a truly charming lady. She prefers to go unscripted, so everything she says comes out in a natural way. George is great, too--the other "official" George retired a few years ago. In an effort to educate people on the "dashing hero" side of George, they found someone younger. He really is great.

I'm so glad you had a great time, Kathleen!

We are deeply connected to Mt. Vernon, as dh is Rector of George's church (most of you know that). We go to the Birthnight Ball every February; although it's a challenge for me because of needing to find something to wear, and because I don't really like being among so many strangers, one of the highlights is that we see Mrs. Washington, and George, too! Mrs. W is fantastic, as you said. She's a truly charming lady. She prefers to go unscripted, so everything she says comes out in a natural way. George is great, too--the other "official" George retired a few years ago. In an effort to educate people on the "dashing hero" side of George, they found someone younger. He really is great.

I pointed out Pohick Church to my kids as we drove by told them about you and your husband, Chris. I hope I get to meet "Geroge" sometime - that would be the icing on the cake.

Btw, we saw signs for some kind of event at Pohick on the 18th. Now I can't remember the details. Can you tell me what that's all about?

Sure--it's our Christmas Mart.

It's one of those old-fashioned thingies--back when lots of women were at home during the day and could participate in a church "bazaar" kind of luncheon thing.

Basically, they decorate the place really nicely (the fruit over the door is quite pretty) and invite crafters and other folks to set up their wares in the Sunday School rooms. There's a smallish consignment sale, a room of garage sale stuff (but a little nicer), a man who does chocolates, some candles, some ornament people, some wreaths and other decorative stuff, the "crab shell lady" who paints on crab shells (I know...), and some old jewelry that someone works very hard to tag and display--crafters love that.

The two ladies' guilds in the church make crafts and sell them in the little building that's by the church--it's called the Vestry House, and it's where the Vestry (like an elder's board with the priest as the head of it) used to meet. It's quite festive and fun to look around.

There's lunch, too--turkey salad, a roll, pie, something else--. The volunteers dress in these pink "fake colonial" dresses with white aprons and serve the tables in the parish hall.

I don't volunteer for this event, but I do go over and have lunch with my hubby. I'm sort of a bad preacher's wife. I know the ladies would love my support in a more active way, but it's just not my thing. My dd loves it, tho--she gets out of school for lunch this year. In third grade, when she went to school for the first time, she missed Christmas Mart. It really upset her. I realized she had attended it every year previous to that, and it was a tradition she truly enjoyed. This year, I told her she could come, even tho she'll have to leave school.

If you want to come, it's free--except for lunch. I think Pohick.org will have info. They do tours of the church and have music, too, I think. It really is kinda neat. Let me know and I'll meet you there.

We were there! If you saw a little blonde girl in full colonial dress, it was my daughter. She loves history and George Washington - she was in heaven!

I am so glad we got a babysitter for the toddler. it meant that I got to enjoy the day too.

We were there! If you saw a little blonde girl in full colonial dress, it was my daughter. She loves history and George Washington - she was in heaven!

I am so glad we got a babysitter for the toddler. it meant that I got to enjoy the day too.

I think I missed you - we definitely would have taken note. Did you get a lot of comments (postive ones, that is) from the staff? When we went in 2008, both dd11 and dd14 (12 and 9 at the time) wore their colonial garb. We were stopped several times by the staff so they could chat with the children.

Here's a link to pictures:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue/514828/

I think I missed you - we definitely would have taken note. Did you get a lot of comments (postive ones, that is) from the staff? When we went in 2008, both dd11 and dd14 (12 and 9 at the time) wore their colonial garb. We were stopped several times by the staff so they could chat with the children.

Here's a link to pictures:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue/514828/

Oh, they look fantastic! Here are some of our pictures:

http://tinderbox.homeschooljournal.net/2010/11/06/mount-vernon/

Mostly she just got quick compliments from the staff - they were all very, very busy - but a few of the costumed interpreters at the farm site had nice conversations with her. My favorite was the woman who took one look at Alex and said, "You're the first person I've seen all day in normal clothes! Everyone else is dressed so strangely!"

Oh, they look fantastic! Here are some of our pictures:

http://tinderbox.homeschooljournal.net/2010/11/06/mount-vernon/

Mostly she just got quick compliments from the staff - they were all very, very busy - but a few of the costumed interpreters at the farm site had nice conversations with her. My favorite was the woman who took one look at Alex and said, "You're the first person I've seen all day in normal clothes! Everyone else is dressed so strangely!"

:lol::lol:That's awesome!

ETA: I see you got the same picture with your daughter holding GW's hand. We couldn't resist either.

I love the book Who Owns the Sun? Isn't it precious?? Makes me cry just thinking about it.

Mine had the same sense of awe about the fact that GW actually walked there and touched those things and slept in that bed, etc. That part never gets old for them.

Edited by Kathleen in VA
Visited the blog :-)

s difficult to convey to others how talented she was and why that was such an awesome part of the whole experience.

It HAD to be the same woman. She is indescribable--- completely MESMERIZING. We could have sat in her "parlor" and listened to her talk ALL. DAY. LONG. I have NEVER seen an interpreter like her EVER. Her ease with the audience, depth of knowledge and ability to carry on a stream of conversation while doing needlework and acknowledging EVERYONE in the room was something to behold. The warmth and affection with which she referred to her dear husband just brought tears to our eyes.

I know Kathleen joins me in HIGHLY recommending the trip. She was just unbelievable.

GREAT memories!

astrid

Her name is Mary Wiseman, by the way. She used to work at Colonial Wiliamsburg but came up to Mt. V around 2006 or so. We love her. She often has to respond to people's questions and comments--my fav is when someone tells her something (like where they are visiting from) that she couldn't know about, and she graciously stays in character and just says something like, "Oh, I'm not familiar with that, how interesting." There's an article where someone mentions being from the west in the Dakotas, and she says that she's not familiar with that, but her husband is greatly interested in Western Expansion! lol Can't faze her for a moment.

Her name is Mary Wiseman, by the way. She used to work at Colonial Wiliamsburg but came up to Mt. V around 2006 or so. We love her. She often has to respond to people's questions and comments--my fav is when someone tells her something (like where they are visiting from) that she couldn't know about, and she graciously stays in character and just says something like, "Oh, I'm not familiar with that, how interesting." There's an article where someone mentions being from the west in the Dakotas, and she says that she's not familiar with that, but her husband is greatly interested in Western Expansion! lol Can't faze her for a moment.

One young man told her he was from Utah and she said, "Oh, you're from one of the territories." It took him a minute to figure out why she said that, lol.

I wonder what she's like at home. Really. How can you spend the whole livelong day as Martha Washington, day in and day out, and not end up carrying that with you into your personal life? I'd like to be a fly on her wall at home. Can you picture her shopping at Walmart, or Macy's or even online?:D It's got to be kind of weird for her - like daily time travel.