Menu

My hubby told my dd she has to stand outside the liquor store and look in the window.

i find it so strange that you guys (in the states) have such a high drinking age - is it 21 in every state?

what's up with that? you could be married, working fulltime, with a couple of kids, and still not be able to have a glass of wine in a restaurant?

(it's 18/19 across canada - three provinces have it at 18, the rest at 19)

i find it so strange that you guys (in the states) have such a high drinking age - is it 21 in every state?

what's up with that? you could be married, working fulltime, with a couple of kids, and still not be able to have a glass of wine in a restaurant?

Tell me about it. I find it quite ironic that an 18 year old is "old enough" to go to war and get themselves killed for their country but can't walk into a bar and have a drink.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that I think they should change the law to say that an 18 year old can legally drink.

I'd RATHER see them change the law to say that if they've still got a "teen" after their age, they can't legally die for their country. How about we change THAT to 21?

But I don't make the rules.

Well actually over here in the UK you would probably be best off doing just that!

A supermarket here in the UK refused to sell my dh some beer because he had ds13 with him and "perhaps he was buying it for ds to drink".

Dh was dumfounded and couldn't believe it! He learnt his lesson and left ds13 outside the next time!

Stephanie

A grocery store in VA attempted to prevent dh from buying beer once because I was with him (we were married adults with children and well into our 20s at the time) and I didn't have my ID with *me*. Roflol. We just stared at them like they were CRAZY 'til they gave in. ;)

Yup.

I was pregnant on my 21st birthday. My first legal drink was a few sips of champagne at my baby shower. :tongue_smilie:

There's a little confusion here: the laws nationwide prohibit the sale, distribution, or public possession of alcohol to persons under 21. But 33 states permit consumption of alcohol by persons under 21, and 16 more states permit consumption of alcohol by persons under 21 under specific circumstances (e.g. they are in the presence of parents or a spouse).

Also there are other minor exceptions; for instance, a religious exception (communion wine), and certain military exceptions (bases more than 50 miles from U.S. territory, or with a waiver from the commanding officer).

There's a little confusion here: the laws nationwide prohibit the sale, distribution, or public possession of alcohol to persons under 21. But 33 states permit consumption of alcohol by persons under 21, and 16 more states permit consumption of alcohol by persons under 21 under specific circumstances (e.g. they are in the presence of parents or a spouse).

Also there are other minor exceptions; for instance, a religious exception (communion wine), and certain military exceptions (bases more than 50 miles from U.S. territory, or with a waiver from the commanding officer).

it's still kinda wonked that a 20 year old ADULT would need "permission" (or mommy supervising!) to have a beer after work.

it's still kinda wonked that a 20 year old ADULT would need "permission" (or mommy supervising!) to have a beer after work.
Not going to disagree with you there. My state was one of the last to hold out against the federal extortion forcing state compliance.

Beer parties at Big State University here used to be pre-advertised and held outside, and the APD would cruise by now and then to make sure everything was running smoothly.

Then after the law, beer parties became furtive and held indoors, and would get out of control with the police having no idea where they were until the phone calls from neighbors started to come in. Fraternities in the late '80's went wild, and subsequent alcohol-related hazing deaths led to some being closed down and to an investigation by the Attorney General.

Yeah, much healthier drinking there.

It depends on where you are. The liquor store near my hometown in Texas, you can't take kids inside with you. No one underage is allowed in, period.

OTOH, there's a drive through liquor store a mile up and on the other side of the interstate from them...

Same here -- you cannot enter the store if you are under 18yo.

really? :001_huh:

the provinces must set their own rules.. i've taken my kids into liquor stores in three provinces without any trouble.

I'm sure each provincial liquor commission will have its own set of rules. Ours is ... a little OTT sometimes, I think.

Georgia drinking law is 21. I had been married for 2 years when I turned 21. We went to the bar, got me a drink, and left 15 mins. later. I wasn't a partying kind of person but I felt weird if I didn't do what all other 21 year old do on their birthday. :)

I buy our wine at Walmart.

The wine store in my neighborhood always has candy for trick-or-treaters. They have informal drop-in wine tastings on Friday evenings, and my husband often takes our little guy in the stroller.

I want my kids to think of alcohol as a ordinary part of adult life, not as some big forbidden thrill. I'm glad it's not illegal to take them shopping.