Menu

My hubby told my dd she has to stand outside the liquor store and look in the window.

He is going to the bank, the grocery store and the liquor store. The youngest asked if she could go with him and he said, "Yes, but you can't go in everywhere." So I asked him if he was going to make her stand outside the liquor store and look in the window and he said yes, he was. :001_huh: I informed him that he could take her inside, she just couldn't buy anything. :tongue_smilie:

It depends on where you are. The liquor store near my hometown in Texas, you can't take kids inside with you. No one underage is allowed in, period.

OTOH, there's a drive through liquor store a mile up and on the other side of the interstate from them...

Well actually over here in the UK you would probably be best off doing just that!

A supermarket here in the UK refused to sell my dh some beer because he had ds13 with him and "perhaps he was buying it for ds to drink".

Dh was dumfounded and couldn't believe it! He learnt his lesson and left ds13 outside the next time!

Stephanie

It depends on where you are. The liquor store near my hometown in Texas, you can't take kids inside with you. No one underage is allowed in, period.

Is that a law in Texas? Our liquor store has the same rule; although in practice they ignore it if the children are small. I'd thought it was just the store's policy, but maybe there's a new law I wasn't aware of.

Well, at least he didn't tell her she had to stand outside the bar while he went in and had a drink! :lol:

my mother told me that my father used to take me out for a bike ride when i was 2 (in the old white kid seat) and stop in for a drink somewhere* before we went home - she said he'd take me in and set me right up on the bar counter, sit there and have his beer while i babbled away and tried to grab anything shiny. :p

*it wasn't a normal bar; it was something on the base.

OTOH, there's a drive through liquor store a mile up and on the other side of the interstate from them...

TX has some of the strangest liquor laws. I lived in TX as a teen. We lived in a dry county so we had to drive 20 miles to get alcohol but they had bars where you could pay to be a member and get a license that allowed you to drink there. I was under 18 (which was the drinking age at the time) but also married. This allowed me to both buy and drink alcohol. All I had to do was show my marriage license or even anything that suggested I was married really, a utlility bill would work sometimes.

As an adult, I lived in Dallas which was dry county at the time but once again you could buy a license that would allow you to drink at a restaurant or bar, you just couldn't buy alcohol to take home. This was in Dallas County but some parts of Dallas city are outside the county line and the other counties weren't dry so there was always liquor stores right at the county line and they were always busy.

In some states you can buy only beer at the store while others also sell wine. In NV you can buy hard liquor in the grocery store. Some allow some kinds of liquor sold on Sundays where other don't allow any at all. Some states allow parents to give their own children alcohol or even take them into a bar but I have never heard of a state that doesn't allow a parent to take a child into the liquor store. :001_huh:

ETA: Oh, I forgot, FL used to have drive through liquor stores, some that even served it in to-go containers.

Edited by KidsHappen

I can understand being uncomfortable bringing your child in. Heaven's I was scared to go into a liquor store myself when I first moved here. Came from an area where you bought your liquor in the grocery store and it set amoung a miriad of other items, not as noticeable. I was raised in a dry home. I got used to the idea that this state has separate stores for it though, got over my embarrassment, and I have no problem bringing in my child with me...I'd rather they not have the unhealthy, imbalanced view or discomfort I had.

I feel uncomfortable bringing my children in with me to a liquor store too, even just to get a bottle of wine for a nice dinner! Still, I'd feel more comfortable bringing her inside with me and just making it quick, rather than make her wait outside all alone, for safety reasons.

I can see the liquor store from my back window (convenient, I know). It is in a strip mall connected to the Publix. My dd is 11 and is allowed to walk to Publix herself. The liquor store is so small that you can see the entire store from the front window so it wouldn't really be a big deal to leave her out front but I just thought it was funny. ;)

:lol::lol::lol: I bring my kids into the store with me. I somehow feel like a bad example and kind of guilty when I do it! I don't know why - I don't feel this when I drink in front of them! If dd10 tries to grab the bag to carry it out, I panic and say, "NO!!! You can't touch that!!!" Which is true, but there's really no need to make a big deal out of it.

I never feel guilty about buying alcoholic beverages at the grocery store while having my kids with me.

I don't know why I'm like that. Maybe I should have her wait outside the store and watch me make my purchase. :D:lol:

The liquor store in our city gives out lollipops to the kids who come in with their parents.

Our liquor store does too. My kids love going there...hmm, wonder how this booze=yummy-sugary-goodness thing will play out for them as adults :D

When I was a kid my dad owned a liquor store for a while. I specifically remember hanging out there with him and if he thought a customer was coming, my sister and I had to quickly run to the back to hide as it was illegal for kids to be in there - this was in OK during the 70s.

Personally, I prefer to buy my wine at the grocery store because it does make me feel weird just stopping off at the liquor store with my kids. It somehow makes me feel better if it's on the checkout belt along with spinach and fruit for some reason.

But the liquor store I would otherwise go has a tub of suckers to give to the kids who come in with their parents - like at the bank :001_huh:. ETA - just read the rest of the posts - apparently that's the norm, lol!

Well actually over here in the UK you would probably be best off doing just that!

A supermarket here in the UK refused to sell my dh some beer because he had ds13 with him and "perhaps he was buying it for ds to drink".

Dh was dumfounded and couldn't believe it! He learnt his lesson and left ds13 outside the next time!

Stephanie

That's ridiculous! How could they prove anything? Talk about the nanny state. :001_huh: What would have happened if your dh had sent your ds outside and then gone back to the tills with the beer? Would they still have refused to sell it to him, I wonder?!

Personally, I prefer to buy my wine at the grocery store because it does make me feel weird just stopping off at the liquor store with my kids. It somehow makes me feel better if it's on the checkout belt along with spinach and fruit for some reason.

But the liquor store I would otherwise go has a tub of suckers to give to the kids who come in with their parents - like at the bank :001_huh:. ETA - just read the rest of the posts - apparently that's the norm, lol!

In some states you cannot buy wine or any other kind of alcohol in the grocery. You HAVE to go to a "wine & spirits", a "beer barn", or a pub to buy.

In some states you cannot buy wine or any other kind of alcohol in the grocery. You HAVE to go to a "wine & spirits", a "beer barn", or a pub to buy.

Yep! Like here in PA!

When I lived in NY, we could go into a supermarket and buy beer, wine coolers and so on, or a convenience store...

...here in PA, they sell NO alcohol whatsoever in grocery stores. There are "beer distributors," liquor stores, and bars that you can buy alcohol from, and some pizza places and whatnot can sell six packs of beer or something, but no alcohol in the supermarkets!

Yep! Like here in PA!

When I lived in NY, we could go into a supermarket and buy beer, wine coolers and so on, or a convenience store...

...here in PA, they sell NO alcohol whatsoever in grocery stores. There are "beer distributors," liquor stores, and bars that you can buy alcohol from, and some pizza places and whatnot can sell six packs of beer or something, but no alcohol in the supermarkets!

Yep, that's where I am also!

That law baffles and annoys me. What if you are a single parent? What if your spouse is out of town, deployed, etc. These people aren't allowed to buy alcohol unless they can find a babysitter while they run to the store?

The shock! The horror! What kind of single mom would want to visit a liquer store?! *snark jk*

We can't buy anything but low alcohol pt beer and wine coolers in grocery stores here.

I don't get the Puritan blue laws about many things that are perfectly fine taken to the point of being socially unacceptable. But only for certain people.

The shock! The horror! What kind of single mom would want to visit a liquer store?! *snark jk*

We can't buy anything but low alcohol pt beer and wine coolers in grocery stores here.

I don't get the Puritan blue laws about many things that are perfectly fine taken to the point of being socially unacceptable. But only for certain people.

I actually lived in TX when Blue Laws would not allow you to buy TP, feminie products or diapers on Sundays.

I actually lived in TX when Blue Laws would not allow you to buy TP, feminie products or diapers on Sundays.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in quite some time. :blink: Are the laws still in order, or did all the women and children of the county (??) beat them down with a stick?

(Laura, who can buy beer, wine, all manner of liquor, cigarettes, condoms, feminine products, diapers, doughnuts and coffee at any gas station or grocery any time the mood strikes her in her state - you know, provided she wanted to and all)

Yes, TX (my home state really) has it's own brand of special. I could go on for pages about all the weird laws there. :glare:

:iagree: I lived there for 22 years and it's quite silly really. We had one street in town that was paved only on one side. A law was passed requiring streets in front of subsidized housing to be paved, but it didn't change the law stating that individual property owners were required to pay a fee and extra taxes in order to pave the road in front of their private property. The man who lived across from the subsidized housing refused to pay the fees, so they didn't pave his side of the street!

Regarding alcohol- My town was half dry, so the fast food type restaurants were on the South side, and the sit-down, pizza type places were on the North... on the other side of the tracks no less.

Also, it wasn't a law per se, but there were no gas stations open in town on the weekend. You had to get your gas on Friday if you were getting low so you wouldn't run out before they reopened on Monday.

I would prefer that too. Now, if only we could pass a law allowing the sale of wine in our grocery stores!

my mother told me that my father used to take me out for a bike ride when i was 2 (in the old white kid seat) and stop in for a drink somewhere* before we went home - she said he'd take me in and set me right up on the bar counter, sit there and have his beer while i babbled away and tried to grab anything shiny. :p

*it wasn't a normal bar; it was something on the base.

Is two miles across fields to a country pub for a pint of real ale, then back again. He usually takes one of the boys for some Daddy-boy time.

Laura

That's ridiculous! How could they prove anything? Talk about the nanny state. :001_huh: What would have happened if your dh had sent your ds outside and then gone back to the tills with the beer? Would they still have refused to sell it to him, I wonder?!

Teenagers hang around shops and ask passers by to buy alcohol for them, so there's a law that you can't buy alcohol for someone under age. Once the law is on the statute books, the shop will enforce it to a ludicrous degree to escape even a faint possibility of being blamed.

Laura

Ohio used to be that way. You could get beer and wine at the grocery store, and anything else was at the state liquor store. They were scary places. :D (In college, we would just across the state line to buy it at carry-outs in Michigan. ;))

Once the law is on the statute books, the shop will enforce it to a ludicrous degree to escape even a faint possibility of being blamed.

Yep. we tried to do a homeschool group trip to the arcade. There's a law in the city, though, that minors can't be in a place with video game machines during school hours unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. The arcade, in order to avoid problems, required birth certificates and driver's licenses for us to enter. :glare:

With all of the "stings" on places that sell alcohol, I wouldn't blame them for being super careful.

The only reason I would be nervous about buying wine with the kids in a liquor shop (there are plenty down here), would be because of all the glass! I'm afraid the kids will break something. They have real trouble keeping their hands to themselves. It's the proverbial taking bulls into a china shop.

Teenagers hang around shops and ask passers by to buy alcohol for them, so there's a law that you can't buy alcohol for someone under age. Once the law is on the statute books, the shop will enforce it to a ludicrous degree to escape even a faint possibility of being blamed.

Laura

One of the reasons my grandparents sold their tavern in the 80s was because of the increasing pressure of liability. Since they served food, there were always kids around, including all of the grandchildren and assorted nieces and nephews. My grandparents never served minors, but the whole gray area of appearances/assumptions was really getting to them.

I miss that place.

Now I know here they do not see alcohol in gas stations, or grocery stores. We have separate liquor stores or you buy them at the bars. Now no one under 21 can go in by themselves, but with an adult they can.

Children can also go into bars with you as long as they sit at the tables not at the bar.