Menu

APD & Learning Breakthrough Program/Balametrics

jec3113

We have been on a waiting list for a year to get CAPD testing. They finally called to give us an appointment. We live three hours away from the testing facility. Instead of being accomodating, they expect us to come 4 different days for testing that could be done in 1 1/2. One of the days they expect to start at 8:00 am. This means a hotel the night before. They do not take Blue Cross so the testing and travel expenses would be about $1000 when all is said and done. I am really angry. NOt only have we wasted a year but this is a lot of money! So I have been doing additional research and am thinking of canceling these appointments and purchasing the Learning Breakthrough Program. If she has CAPD it is mild and since taking her out of school and making accomodations at home we have already seen some improvements. Also, she does ballet three times a week and also does piano. The new piano teacher does a lot of listening and ear exercises. I am really thinking that the things we have been doing plus the accomodations for learning at home are improving the situation. Does anyone have any experience with this program. It feels like it would be a nice fit and certainly couldn't hurt. It is also a lot less expensive than the testing and follow up therapy would be.

We have been on a waiting list for a year to get CAPD testing. They finally called to give us an appointment. We live three hours away from the testing facility. Instead of being accomodating, they expect us to come 4 different days for testing that could be done in 1 1/2. One of the days they expect to start at 8:00 am. This means a hotel the night before. They do not take Blue Cross so the testing and travel expenses would be about $1000 when all is said and done. I am really angry. NOt only have we wasted a year but this is a lot of money! So I have been doing additional research and am thinking of canceling these appointments and purchasing the Learning Breakthrough Program. If she has CAPD it is mild and since taking her out of school and making accomodations at home we have already seen some improvements. Also, she does ballet three times a week and also does piano. The new piano teacher does a lot of listening and ear exercises. I am really thinking that the things we have been doing plus the accomodations for learning at home are improving the situation. Does anyone have any experience with this program. It feels like it would be a nice fit and certainly couldn't hurt. It is also a lot less expensive than the testing and follow up therapy would be.

I really sympathize - it can be quite difficult and expensive to get this testing done. If you think the problem is mild and you're already seeing improvements with your new regimen, it probably wouldn't hurt to defer testing. We had one child tested (his problems were more than mild) but no follow-up therapies were recommended because we had already gotten over the hump with reading issues (using LiPS, OG programs, etc.). We have a formal diagnostic report which provides a list of accommodations we were essentially making already. We're having another child tested now, because he's a teenager and college is looming. If he does have CAPD as suspected, he'll need to be aware of it.

Regarding Balametrics, we've used this off and on for over eight years, and we've seen a great deal of improvement, particularly with vestibular issues (sometimes comorbid with CAPD) and motor coordination. We've tried to establish a "therapeutic lifestyle", and Balametrics has been only one of the tools, so I don't know how much credit to attribute to it, but having poured over a vast array of therapeutic materials, I have noticed that the exercises in this program are consistent with others I've read about in vision therapy and motor skills development manuals.

• 4 weeks later...