Menu

Is it normal to

Have a slump at this time of year?

I can't put my finger on what suddenly changed, but all of a sudden, I find myself looking at the school across the street wistfully and considering the "open house" ads for private schools in the local parents magazine. DD is thriving, she's learning, she's having fun, but I'm just so gosh-darned TIRED that I can't stand it. This morning I made myself a nice, hot cup of water because I'd spaced out and forgotten to put the coffee in it. I also found myself pulling together materials for DD to do this morning, because I'd forgotten to restock her workboxes. And I haven't even looked at my plans for my class tomorrow morning.

Between homeschooling, teaching my college class, and the revisions I'm doing on a curriculum for a publisher I don't feel like I have time to breathe. Yet all three are things I love to do and want to do.

Can someone please reassure me that this is normal and that it will get better?

It's normal! Homeschooling in addition to all of our other required tasks is a lot of work. The beginning of the year is exciting. It's new, for both us and the kids. We have great plans and great expectations. But it is exhausting. And after a while we do get tired and wonder if we can keep it up. What helps me the most is to take a little break to rejuvenate, then start something new. I try to save something that I had already planned to do for this point.

Yes, Yes, Yes...um...did I say yes? I am slumping right now and school sounds so wonderful. I have even thought about putting them in after Christmas break. Then...I remember why we pulled them out...and I give myself this speech about pulling up my big girl pants...and well we trudge on...

In my dreams though, I have hours and hours by myself and can actually hear my own brain thinking...

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...:tongue_smilie:

I had someone warn me that November and February were 'slump months' for homeschooling. This is my first year, but it's been a little true for us. My kids are suddenly saying, "Do we HAVE to do schoolwork today???" every morning. Luckily we have a few out-of-house activities planned, so I think that should help a lot.

I find the weather affects my mood a lot too (which in turn affects my kids). A full-spectrum light box has been a lifesaver here. Just sayin', if you think that might be a factor for you :D

Your life sounds just like mine!:D I homeschool my three youngest kids, teach a college course and do another part-time job one afternoon/evening a week as a therapist. I really do love them all, but some weeks it is absolutely too much for one person...or for THIS person, anyway. :grouphug:

When I feel slumpish, I let go the things that don't matter, put off some of the rest and concentrate on only the things that are really important. (referring to homeschooling stuff here...)

I think I can empathize with your situation. It is normal to have days, moments or times of year where the grass looks greener on the other side. However, I truly believe that sometimes when we make a switch we are trading one problem for another. It just looks better from the outside looking in.

At times like these (I too am hiting this point), I step back, access the situation and see where I can make small changes so that I can keep doing what I enjoy, and do it well.

This time of year is very busy. I sometimes feel that all I can do is keep my head above water.

Right now I am enjoying a cup of coffee and trying to just sit and breathe. Our week was a little hectic. On top of schooling, I am running a fundraiser for the cubscouts. My husband and I are leaders in both Boyscouts & Cubscouts. Which I have several duties and responsibilities to perform. Also I work outside the home and this is a very busy time.

To top it off, yesterday ds2 came running down the stair yelling it's overflowing, overflowing. I ran upstairs to find the toilet connector line spraying water all over the bathroom. Lots of water!

We immediately went from grammar to plumbing class. I was successful, and showed my dc how to repair the toliet.

I think what all of us need every now and then is a little time for ourselves.

Finding that time is almost impossible, and we feel guilty wanting it. However, I think we are all better mothers, teachers, wives, etc. when we get it!

Take some time, reaccess and formulate a new plan. Keep whats working and tweak the rest.

Keep your head up!

I figured out last week that part of my problem is that the days are getting shorter. We rarely use alarm clocks here, so we've been losing an hour in the morning. I've resigned myself to making it to the end of this week (which I just did - woot, woot:tongue_smilie:) and then when daylight savings time changes our clocks, our bodies will be well adjusted already. (How is *that* for justifying sleeping in until 8am???:lol:)

The "new" shine has worn off the books, workbooks have smudges and bent corners, pencils have been lost around the house (Where do my dc hide 48 pencils???).

It helps me to keep a few concrete goals in mind to meet by Christmas...and look forward to a couple weeks of break.

I can imagine that having the external deadlines of teaching a college class and doing revisions for a curric publisher gives this time of year an extra ounce of "ugh." :grouphug:

I had someone warn me that November and February were 'slump months' for homeschooling.

:iagree: I'm trying to make it through 2 more weeks, then we're taking a week off before Thanksgiving. Then it's only 3-4 more weeks until 2 weeks off for Christmas. From mid-September to November we don't have many breaks, so we have about 10-12 weeks straight (including the next two), which is the end of my tolerance. By the time we start up again in January it's all new again, after being off 3 of 7 weeks, but by the end of February it's another slump, for the same reasons.

I totally know what you mean - driving home from errands yesterday it seemed like there was a schoolbus every time we stopped at a stop sign. I almost had myself convinced that was a sign.... ;)

The short days are part of it for us. We have slid to getting up an hour later than we really should (because it is still dark) which is making it really hard to finish before gymnastics time - which is 3:30 to 8 PM every weekday for ds12, so we are chronically playing catch up on the weekend.

But what is really killing me is lunch. I am so uninspired. I have found myself standing in the kitchen at about 11 AM every day this week trying to come up with something to feed everyone and feeling bored to death with everything I can think of.

But what is really killing me is lunch. I am so uninspired. I have found myself standing in the kitchen at about 11 AM every day this week trying to come up with something to feed everyone and feeling bored to death with everything I can think of.

:iagree: I almost posted a thread about this yesterday! I HATE making lunch for us!

Btw, we are also in a school slump. I gave us today off, even though we're behind, because I had NO desire to teach. We hung out with other slumping homeschool friends instead. It was a good day! ;)