Menu

Help me sort through my LA woes....Phonics Road?

mothergooseof4

I recently posted a question about Saxon Phonics for my struggling 8yo reader. I have since been looking at Phonics Road and am almost convinced to purchase level 1.

Our LA history:

Started hsing step-dd for 2nd grade. She was already a strong reader/speller and never thought much about LA. We just did SL LA the way it was scheduled...at that time they used Spelling Power.

My first to teach to read was my ds, now 11yo 5th grader. He picked up the basic letter sounds from electronic preschool games and taught himself to sight read. I did SL's I Can Read series with him, but I never really taught him to read. He just did it. In 1st grade I started SWR with him since I knew he needed phonics instruction. I was working, but I hated it. I totally agreed with the theology, just hated the process. At our hs convention I saw and bought PR 1. I was all excited until it arrived and I hated the dvd watching. So, I sold it without even giving it a try and started AAS with him for 2nd grade. He went through levels 2 & 3, then for fourth grade spelling just seemed to not get done. He is now doing AAS 4 in 5th grade. His spelling is not great. The rules don't seem to stick.

He also hates all writing, grammar, etc. We have used CLE LA and are now using R&S, Write with the Best, and Drawn Into the Heart of Reading as scheduled in HOD CTC. None of it takes very long, but he still hates it all. He reads a lot to himself, but when he reads out loud, I catch him guessing at longer words. He can sound them out, just doesn't take the time to.

Now, on to ds 8yo 2nd grader. I used Reading Reflex with him in K and he never progressed beyond cvc words. Granted, a lot of that was my fault since we were hit or miss with school that year. (I was a widow for a total of 5.5 yrs and was really struggling that particular year) For 1st he used CLE Learning to Read and LA 101 and did very well with it. But, I found their Reading curriculum that followed to be a big jump, at least for this dc. So, we did a quick run through with AAS level 1, which was review for him. He is now working through AAS level 2 for 2nd grade and doing very well with spelling. He just seems to have a hard time carrying those skills over to reading and has stalled out in that department.

Dd is 6 and in 1st. She is currently working through CLE LTR and LA 101. She is doing fine, but I don't have a plan for what to do after since my experience with her older brother.

So, I have been online looking for a plan mainly for ds #2 at this point. Perhaps AAR would work for him when it comes out, but I would like to get started on something now. A friend that teaches reading at Scottish Rights Hospital actually recommended Saxon Phonics. I will be looking through level 1 next week. But, my searching has led me to Phonics Road again.

So, I started thinking. I could order level 1 and accelerate oldest through it and level 2. I know he could use the skills since his spelling is still horrible and he has basically no creative writing skills. Plus, I could replace R&S grammar, AAS, DITHOR, and Write with the Best with PR....correct?

Then, could I start ds 2nd and dd 1st in level 1 and keep them together? Would I discontinue CLE LTR and LA with dd?

Should I just stick with the current plan for oldest ds and move youngers to PR? Or, should I just keep working at AAS with them as well and it will eventually click?

I hate curriculum jumping and would really like something to stick with. I also like that PR is all inclusive. I think all of the kids could get LA better if they saw that it was all tied in together instead of working on grammar here, then spelling there, and reading comprehension over somewhere else.

Thoughts?

Edited by mothergooseofthree

My first to teach to read was my ds, now 11yo 5th grader. He picked up the basic letter sounds from electronic preschool games and taught himself to sight read. I did SL's I Can Read series with him, but I never really taught him to read. He just did it. In 1st grade I started SWR with him since I knew he needed phonics instruction. I was working, but I hated it. I totally agreed with the theology, just hated the process. At our hs convention I saw and bought PR 1. I was all excited until it arrived and I hated the dvd watching. So, I sold it without even giving it a try and started AAS with him for 2nd grade. He went through levels 2 & 3, then for fourth grade spelling just seemed to not get done. He is now doing AAS 4 in 5th grade. His spelling is not great. The rules don't seem to stick.

He also hates all writing, grammar, etc. We have used CLE LA and are now using R&S, Write with the Best, and Drawn Into the Heart of Reading as scheduled in HOD CTC. None of it takes very long, but he still hates it all. He reads a lot to himself, but when he reads out loud, I catch him guessing at longer words. He can sound them out, just doesn't take the time to. IMHO, this is all from lack of phonics understanding, at least that was my experience with my eldest son. As he remediated with PR, his spelling and reading improved and that gave him the self confidence he needed to enjoy writing, too. With his age, I'd make the decision for him After you peek at Saxon's Phonics Intervention. Evenso, the connection of living language arts that PR makes by being inclusive might prove valuable to your son.

My dd, age 11 in 3 weeks, started with PR1 last year. She was in 4th grade. We are now in the middle of PR3. Even though she was strong reader, her LA skills were not grand and I've seen an improvement in her spelling, decoding, and writing, too. In my estimation, completing PR4 in grade 6 makes an ideal preparation to move into the Latin Road or any other Latin program. It helps that I have seen PR in full (I own all 4 levels now), so I see the big picture. I'd be happy to share specifics if you'd like. I also have blogged about content a good bit, recently. If you go the PR route with this one, keep in mind, you will drop some LA for a bit (PR1) and build back up to them. It may be the restart he needs to grow into loving language arts. It will take patience on your part, though, and the willingness to trust in the program.

Now, on to ds 8yo 2nd grader. I used Reading Reflex with him in K and he never progressed beyond cvc words. Granted, a lot of that was my fault since we were hit or miss with school that year. (I was a widow for a total of 5.5 yrs and was really struggling that particular year) For 1st he used CLE Learning to Read and LA 101 and did very well with it. But, I found their Reading curriculum that followed to be a big jump, at least for this dc. So, we did a quick run through with AAS level 1, which was review for him. He is now working through AAS level 2 for 2nd grade and doing very well with spelling. He just seems to have a hard time carrying those skills over to reading and has stalled out in that department. PR will take care of this. You can probably get through level 1 in a few months, grounding his phonics, boosting his spelling (PR1 = AAS1-3 from what others say), improving his reading and then start PR2, bringing significant grammar skills to him and progressing forward nicely. My son, 3rd grade, 8 yo, just finished PR 2. It was plenty challenging. We will slow down pace for PR3 b/c it comes on hard and strong via grammar. Remember, the program is Level-based, not grade. My goal is to finish level 4 by end of 5th grade, maybe middle of 6th.

Dd is 6 and in 1st. She is currently working through CLE LTR and LA 101. She is doing fine, but I don't have a plan for what to do after since my experience with her older brother. She falls right into PR schedule.

So, I have been online looking for a plan mainly for ds #2 at this point. Perhaps AAR would work for him when it comes out, but I would like to get started on something now. A friend that teaches reading at Scottish Rights Hospital actually recommended Saxon Phonics. I will be looking through level 1 next week. But, my searching has led me to Phonics Road again. I really think he'll be in the ideal place if you use PR.

So, I started thinking. I could order level 1 and accelerate oldest through it and level 2. I know he could use the skills since his spelling is still horrible and he has basically no creative writing skills. Plus, I could replace R&S grammar, AAS, DITHOR, and Write with the Best with PR....correct? Yes, you are correct. While PR1 focuses on spelling to read and write and only introduces grammar, level 2 and beyond completely encompasses language arts. You do not need any other program. Since you have crossover between subject area (lit crosses w/ grammar and writing on many days) you may actually Save time, too :)

Then, could I start ds 2nd and dd 1st in level 1 and keep them together? You could, keeping your eyes open that one isn't slowing down the other too much. It took about 2 months-ish for my then 1st grader to get up to speed with my then 2nd grader. Would I discontinue CLE LTR and LA with dd? Yes, you could. You'd also be dropping grammar until you get midway through PR1. This is done so the young student can focus on spelling and reading.

Should I just stick with the current plan for oldest ds and move youngers to PR? Or, should I just keep working at AAS with them as well and it will eventually click? The stuff I bolded gives me pause about waiting for the click to come. Like I said, I think Saxon's PI, may help. You have to determine if the dislike of LA is due to phonetic weakness, which Saxon's PI will help, or if he also needs remediation of grammar and writing. If he needs complete LA remediation, then PR is the way to go.

I hate curriculum jumping and would really like something to stick with. I also like that PR is all inclusive. I think all of the kids could get LA better if they saw that it was all tied in together instead of working on grammar here, then spelling there, and reading comprehension over somewhere else.

Thoughts?

The cohesiveness made a difference for my family. A big difference. Do consider, though...can you handle the DVD watching now?