Menu

We have dropped the Hakim series for a textbook.

mom31257

I really can't believe that I'm doing this, but we have just switched from Hakim's series to BJU's 8th grade textbook. I had dd try one chapter in BJU because she was really bored with Hakim and didn't seem to be retaining anything. I cannot believe how much her discussion of American history improved with the textbook. There are some really good activities in the SA book, as well (maps, charts, outlining, etc.).

She said that Hakim was just so conversationally written that it just seemed to drag on and on. She did say that while BJU was more boring in some ways, it was much more interesting in others. I think she wanted the facts of American history without all the fluff.

I just thought some of you might want some information on Hakim or about considering a textbook for history.

I'm so glad homeschooling allows for change when it is best!

We did the same - ds got so bored with Hakim. He wanted the story, but not one that seemed like "story time". He wanted some excitement, some action...and if he couldn't have those, he wanted the facts and good projects. (We can add the adventure back in with classic lit, IMO.)

I honestly think Hakim is good for younger kids...not so much for jr. high. That could just be me, though. :)

Just so you have an alternative, the Colliers brothers' The Drama of American History is (to my mind) a wonderfully well-written and highly-interesting alternative to the Joy Hakim series.

I can not take Ms Hakims tone and writing style. But the Colliers brothers series is everything I could have wanted from an introductory American History series.

Many libraries seem to carry these.

Bill

We did the same - ds got so bored with Hakim. He wanted the story, but not one that seemed like "story time". He wanted some excitement, some action...and if he couldn't have those, he wanted the facts and good projects. (We can add the adventure back in with classic lit, IMO.)

I honestly think Hakim is good for younger kids...not so much for jr. high. That could just be me, though. :)

I agree about the age. She was using it as part of SL Core 100. We are continuing the literature and history novels. I like having the discussion guides and writing assignments. It is my first and probably last experience with SL. I do not think this could be a high school level course as the company states. That would cause me to question all their other material as well.

Just so you have an alternative, the Colliers brothers' The Drama of American History is (to my mind) a wonderfully well-written and highly-interesting alternative to the Joy Hakim series.

I can not take Ms Hakims tone and writing style. But the Colliers brothers series is everything I could have wanted from an introductory American History series.

Bill

My dd felt the same way about the writing style. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will look for the series through our library system. We have a great (and free!) interlibrary loan system here in GA.

I am going to continue with the textbook, but it's always good to read it from another person's perspective. Is it fairly neutral or biased one way of the other? We are Christians, but I do want our kids to look at history from various viewpoints, especially at her age.

My dd felt the same way about the writing style. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will look for the series through our library system. We have a great (and free!) interlibrary loan system here in GA.

I am going to continue with the textbook, but it's always good to read it from another person's perspective. Is it fairly neutral or biased one way of the other? We are Christians, but I do want our kids to look at history from various viewpoints, especially at her age.

The books in the series I've read thus far have been amazing balanced in presenting the controversies and differing viewpoints in the American experience. They try, as well as I can imagine authors doing, to give the best case for people and groups with differing views.

The books are not "Christian", but they do not ignore the role of the Christianianity in our republic, including times when Christians themselves had differing positions on important issues. They always seek to give children "understanding" of the way various groups and individuals thought rather than making out like there were always "good guys and bad guys." It is a very respectful treatment of history. If I was to be told the Colliers brothers were moderate to liberal in their political positions I would not be schocked. But I don't see how any authors could have done a much better job trying to correct for their biases without devoling into pablum.

They give both sides and that is what makes The Drama of American History dramatic. It is very engaging, and (deliberately) sticks to main themes in an attempt to god narrow but deep (remembering this is a late elementary to middle school series).

I think the books are marvelous!

There is a list of the books in the series that Nmoira put together that is exceedingly helpful to have if you want to find these. I'm about to run out so maybe someone else can put up a link? If not I'll try to find it later. Then you could preview one of the books and see for yourself.

Bill

The books in the series I've read thus far have been amazing balanced in presenting the controversies and differing viewpoints in the American experience. They try, as well as I can imagine authors doing, to give the best case for people and groups with differing views.

The books are not "Christian", but they do not ignore the role of the Christianianity in our republic, including times when Christians themselves had differing positions on important issues. They always seek to give children "understanding" of the way various groups and individuals thought rather than making out like there were always "good guys and bad guys." It is a very respectful treatment of history. If I was to be told the Colliers brothers were moderate to liberal in their political positions I would not be schocked. But I don't see how any authors could have done a much better job trying to correct for their biases without devoling into pablum.

They give both sides and that is what makes The Drama of American History dramatic. It is very engaging, and (deliberately) sticks to main themes in an attempt to god narrow but deep (remembering this is a late elementary to middle school series).

I think the books are marvelous!

There is a list of the books in the series that Nmoira put together that is exceedingly helpful to have if you want to find these. I'm about to run out so maybe someone else can put up a link? If not I'll try to find it later. Then you could preview one of the books and see for yourself.

Bill

:iagree: I used this series for ds's American History in 8th grade, and I agree that they are well-written and interesting. About a year ago I saw them on Amazon quite cheap, too!

... the Colliers brothers' The Drama of American History is (to my mind) a wonderfully well-written and highly-interesting alternative to the Joy Hakim series.

I'd never made the connection that these are the same brothers who wrote the fictional works My brother Sam is Dead, Jump Ship to Freedom, The Clock, and others. Interesting!

Regards,

Kareni

Bill

Bill,

What grade level would you use these for?

Can I use them for my 2nd and 4th graders?

Thanks,

J

Moira's list:

Clash of Cultures: Prehistory to 1638, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Paradox of Jamestown, 1585 to 1700, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The French and Indian War, 1660 to 1763, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The American Revolution, 1763 to 1783, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Pilgrims and Puritans, 1620 to 1676, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Creating the Constitution, 1787, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Building a New Nation, 1789 to 1803, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Andrew Jackson's America, 1821 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Hispanic America, Texas, and the Mexican War, 1835 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Jeffersonian Republicans, 1800 to 1820, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Civil War, 1860 to 1866, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Slavery and the Coming of the Civil War, 1831 to 1861, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

Reconstruction and the Rise of Jim Crow, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.

The Rise of Industry: 1860 to 1900, Marshall Cavendish (New York, NY), 1999.

A Century of Immigration: 1820 to 1924, Marshall Cavendish/Benchmark Books (Tarrytown, NY), 1999.

Indians, Cowboys, and Farmers, 1865 to 1910, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.

The United States Enters the World Stage: From Alaska through World War I, 1867 to 1919, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.

Progressivism, the Great Depression, and the New Deal, 1901 to 1941, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.

The Rise of the Cities, Cavendish/Benchmark (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.

United States in World War II, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.

The Changing Face of American Society, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.

The United States in the Cold War, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2002.

The Middle Road: American Politics, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2002.

Pish posh. I've got a book that says most slave owners were nice to their slaves. Well, that and, black people really know how to work, especially in the heat.

Finding stuff for American history is a NIGHTMARE!

Have you looked at any of the DoAH books? I believe you would like them.

Bill

Bill,

What grade level would you use these for?

Can I use them for my 2nd and 4th graders?

Thanks,

J

I am also doing American history with my 2nd grade ds. I'm using The Complete Book of US History as a spine. I think it is very neutral in it's presentation. I've enjoyed it and so has my ds. I have DK's American history encyclopedia as a reference and A Beka's 3rd grade biography book to use as a Christian perspective. I'm also adding in library books, websites, etc. Scholastic has a good book of 3D Interactive maps of American history, too.