Menu

Independent spelling, phonics and grammar?

lamamaloca

We had been using WRTR for both my boys (first and third graders) for phonics and spelling, and Primary Language Lessons for my 3rd grader for grammar. However, I've developed an autoimmune condition along and am having chronic joint pain, I've just found out I'm pregnant and am exhausted, and I had to stop my own ADHD meds. I need the kids to be doing as much on their own as possible, and I'm looking for workbook suggestions for these subjects. Any ideas?

We had been using WRTR for both my boys (first and third graders) for phonics and spelling, and Primary Language Lessons for my 3rd grader for grammar. However, I've developed an autoimmune condition along and am having chronic joint pain, I've just found out I'm pregnant and am exhausted, and I had to stop my own ADHD meds. I need the kids to be doing as much on their own as possible, and I'm looking for workbook suggestions for these subjects. Any ideas?

Spelling Workout is recommended by SWB.

For phonics, you could use Explode the Code and/or Plaid Phonics for a workbook review. I like Phonics Pathways for instruction, and it can be done in 15 minutes a day (I know even that can be too long under some circumstances, though).

If you go to Homeschool Buyers Co-op, they offer subscriptions you can buy for Explode the Code online and Click N Read.

In your situation, I would stop grammar and pick it back up after the baby is born. My oldest didn't start grammar until 4th grade and he's none worse for the wear :).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: It sounds like you've got a lot going on right now. Congrats on the pregnancy :).

Thanks for the suggestions and the support and the congrats. That's really good to know about the online Explode the Code, I'll check out those prices. I've thought about justing dropping grammar, and I may do that, but I think it would help me feeling like I'm doing something, if that makes sense. I'll look into Growing with Grammar, too.

Yeah, I'm worried about how I'll manage, but my husband would not consider putting the kids in school to be an option, and I wouldn't be happy with it either.

I don't have any suggestions, but I am praying for you. I can't imagine how hard all of this must be on you.

Thank you so much for the prayers! Right now I'm feeling optimistic about how I'll manage, but ask me later and I'll probably start blubbering. I've already decided to drop lots of our extra subjects, like Latin and Greek roots. We'll be going bare bones, I'm really hoping I'll be able to cope with a pared down schedule.

We've used Spelling Workout for a year or so now, and my older dc can do it completely independently. We've just started MCP Phonics - older ones needed some remedial help - and they're doing that independently too, but I'm doing it with my 5yo. Again for Grammar - R&S - older dc do this alone, but when they started I did go over the lesson with them and then let them complete the written work alone.

I don't have any experience of other programs. I hope you find something you can keep them going with. Your situation sounds really tough. 3 years ago I somehow got Sarcoidosis which has a similar description to your problem - Sarcoid is autoimmune and for me, manifested itself as acute inflammation and pain in the joints. I was on steroids for 6 months and then NSAIDs (ibuprofen) for another 2 years. Thank the Lord, I am now off all of that and just using natural remedies from my naturopath to keep it at bay. It should go altogether fairly soon as my chest x-ray came out clear 6 months ago.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Hedgehog x

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I pray that you will feel better and be able to do all you need to for your children.:grouphug:

I think you might could use CLE and it covers spelling, grammar, penmanship, and some phonics all in one book. There is some new material at the first of each lesson, but a lot of it is review. It's a spiral approach to LA.

My ds is in 2nd grade right now, so I've not seen 3rd grade. The 1st grade is a revised edition and covers a lot of information. I think you could take your time, and even if you didn't finish the whole grade level, it would be fine.

Here is a link to all the company's language arts, but the 1st grade is at the bottom of the page.

I don't think there is anything at the lower levels of CLE that is offensive to Catholics. The 4th grade CLE math that my oldest has about the same or even less religious material than A Beka math texts.

There are placement tests for CLE Language Arts online. My kids would probably place a grade under where I have them. (The second grader would be in the 100-level, the 4th in the 300-level.) The work looks pretty rigorous and definitely multi-faceted. What I don't like as a SWR (WRTR-like) user is I would have to explain the different terminology & teaching style like - "r-controlled vowels," and digraphs. But that is pretty minor.

My oldest used Growing with Grammar 3 last year and I would agree it is pretty independent if your child can read. (It took us a couple of months to really get "independent" because my kids want me to sit next to them for everything, even when they don't actually need me.)

You could use Explode the Code (ETC), but I think you get the most out of it by really being right there with the child while they are doing it.

Good luck!

I don't see how there could be anything offensive in the math. My dd is using the 8th grade math and LA. Each light unit in the LA seems to have a theme that some of the sentences center around. For example, one of her books focused on Albert Einstein and another was slavery. There are sometimes sentences about the Anabaptists.

My ds is in 2nd grade LA and almost done with 2nd grade in math. You might could have your older one check some of the younger ones work with the TM. The placements tests would be a great place to start. I did not do the 1st grade LTR because ds was already reading. I did have him do the entire 1st grade LA so that he would be familiar with CLE's methods. The 2nd grade LA is not revised, so I feel that it has been some review of stuff he learned last year, but at this age, that's probably a good thing.

I personally wouldn't worry about spelling for awhile. We didn't do spelling until 3rd grade, and then this year (4th) we dropped it as my DD doesn't need it. I probably won't start spelling with my next one until 3rd as well (although I reserve the right to change my mind when I get caught up in buying something that I can't resist :tongue_smilie:).

We like Growing with Grammar too, and they do have a spelling program as well on their website, but I've never seen it in person.

I'm sorry you're going through so much right now and wish you luck. :grouphug:

Copywork will keep spelling, penmanship, and grammar fresh until after you have adjusted after baby's birth.

Read, Write, Type by http://www.talkingfingers.com/ is excellent.

I would feel comfy having my dc do Read, Write, Type, copywork, and reading to me for 20min a day if I had to go bare bones for a chunk of time.

Audio books - take advantage of having more time to listen to tons and tons of good books. I get mine from the library.

:grouphug:Take care.