Menu

Remind me: how do you keep a 1 yo busy, safe, happy?

Suddenly, it's a (mom-must-be) brave new world. My baby turned 1 last week and he's so wodnerful and great and cute and smart--and busy, bold, and bananas. If I hold him he wants to be on the floor. When I put him down he wants to be held, or to crawl upstairs, or take everything out of th elower cabinets or dump the bottom bookshelves. You get it. You've been there. So have I. But I forget how to best deal with this. Time is one answer--a few months and he'll be different again. But until then?

Suddenly, it's a (mom-must-be) brave new world. My baby turned 1 last week and he's so wodnerful and great and cute and smart--and busy, bold, and bananas. If I hold him he wants to be on the floor. When I put him down he wants to be held, or to crawl upstairs, or take everything out of th elower cabinets or dump the bottom bookshelves. You get it. You've been there. So have I. But I forget how to best deal with this. Time is one answer--a few months and he'll be different again. But until then?

Put his toys into different plastic boxes so you can rotate as needed when he starts to go bananas. Have different places in your home that for play --his bedroom, his pack and play, the living room, and porch, outdoor. Give him a a drawer or cupboard to emptying out.

Then plan a drive-through-Starbucks nap for him, and a refuel & timeout for Mom when you're thru chasing. :)

I remember feeling like a cruise director for this age. Exhausting.

Such a curious age, fun, and loving.

p.s. I see you've got a few older kids too! Put them to work playing puzzles, little people, reading etc. with the 1 yo. for a chunk of time. I hate to over do it with older kids helping. But when you need a hand, delegate something.

Edited by CalicoKat
added p.s.

There is a book on preschool activities that go in ziploc bags (I am typing on my phone at the moment or I would give you the name). It has great ideas.

Otherwise? Playdo, build block towers, do waterplay with a plastic tub of water on a big towel, etc. We did a lot of outdoors schooling when I had littles.

Can you do some of your reading time or other school activities on the floor? That would make you more accessible to him without the constant up and down. Make sure that he has lots of things accessible for him to do during this time - his own board books, blocks, etc.. Maybe you can enlist the help of the other children in keeping him amused during school time too. Each could take a half hour break and play with him. If he's going places he shouldn't, baby gates might help. :)

JUDICIOUS use of a playpen. This saved my sanity with crawling twins. Start with just a few minutes a day and work up to maybe forty minutes. I put a few special "playpen-time" toys in each and the twinnies truly enjoyed their time there.

Before anyone throws tomatoes for me at suggesting a playpen, let me be clear that this is a tool not to be used all day long! But if you can get your little friend used to that time, it can be a valuable tool.

And remember to take your vitamins. Those little explorers can wear you out!

JUDICIOUS use of a playpen. This saved my sanity with crawling twins. Start with just a few minutes a day and work up to maybe forty minutes. I put a few special "playpen-time" toys in each and the twinnies truly enjoyed their time there.

playpen time and morning naps gave (:glare:) me 2.5-3 hrs of uninterrupted school time. We would eat breakfast and then I would do most school stuff w/oldest while younger two had playpen time and roomtime for 45 min. After that, we would get dressed and play together until the morning nap. Then I would finish school stuff...ds JUST dropped morning nap so it's a little more challenging these days... :)

good luck!

Before anyone throws tomatoes for me at suggesting a playpen, let me be clear that this is a tool not to be used all day long! But if you can get your little friend used to that time, it can be a valuable tool.

And remember to take your vitamins. Those little explorers can wear you out!

:iagree: Playpens and super yards are life savers:)

Thanks thanks thanks!

Great ideas. Just needed to joggle that memory of mine.

Playpen? I think i'll give a whirl and save it for the dinner prep.

The kids are good with him and like to play, but it can get hairy, too. Need judicious use of that resource as well.:001_smile:

I need to upgrade his little toy baskets too.

A dogrun line for the yard would be great! He'd actually love it. But it would be a touch unseemly, wouldn't it?