Menu

BFIAR or FIAR

momchiroto2

My dd enjoyed the FIAR books last year at age 4.5-5yo, , but many of the recommended activities were too difficult for her. I would probably start with BFIAR since you also have a 3 year old. I love this curriculum for kindergarten and lower elementary!

I would without question start with Before Five In A Row rather than Five In A Row Volume 1. There is so much you can learn from those simple books. I think you would enjoy FIAR, but your little ones would get more out of it in a year.

We have been using this curriculum for years, and I am thrilled with the amazing amount of information my children have learned from such a gentle approach. The geography lessons through the use of story disks, in particular. It is always the highlight of our day. Check out the FIAR forum for more information about all of the FIAR volumes. They have an archives section with lots of ideas that delve deeper into all of the books.

My girls are the same ages as your children. We were going to start with FIAR, but it would have been way above my 3 year old and I have found it is easier to beef up BFIAR for my 4.5.

We tried to row Ping (FIAR) and Jesse Bear (BFIAR) the first week and it didn't go well. We dropped Ping and we will pick up FIAR next year. We are finishing up week #2 and we love this program!

Laura

I started with FIAR with my 4yo, thinking she "could handle it," which she could and did. But she loved it so much, I now wish that we had started with B4FIAR so we could have two wonderful years in a row.

Did you do all 55 FIAR books in one year?! Whoa!

Did you do all 55 FIAR books in one year?! Whoa!

Oh, yes we did! Well, almost. Dd was fanatical about FIAR:gnorsi:! She wouldn't even let me take a break for Thanksgiving or Christmas (though I did shorten those weeks). When she particularly liked a book, she would ask us to read it at bedtime, as well, joking that she wanted it to be 10 in a Row this week. We got to the middle of the 3rd volume, and I finally had to call it quits, because I was burned out on it, and I had other things I wanted to move on to. Dd wanted to do FIAR again this year, and she nearly persuaded me. But I finally decided that our second year could not possibly compare to the first, and if we tried to do it again, she would likely feel let down. She was so sad :sad:, but she does really love the new programs that we are doing.