Menu

How often do you meet you insurance deductible?

We have met our family insurance deductible 3 times since we have been married (19 years). Two times for child birth and this past year because my dd broke her arm and had to have surgery to have a pin in the bone.

We went 4 years uninsured. In those 4 years, I had 2 births at a birthing center which cost me about the same as a deductible if I had of had insurance ($4500 was the cost for full pregnancy care and birth at the center).

So that means I paid insurance for 13 years in which I received no benefits.:confused:

How about you?

We have met ours four times in 12 years of marriage; 3 times for childbirth and this year because of Cora's head laceration and broken collarbone, Anna's concussion, my 2 day hospital stay for the migraine from hell, seeing a psychiatrist every month, and my husband's newly diagnosed high blood pressure. It hasn't been a good year. :tongue_smilie:

The one year I remember meeting the deductible was the year we chose to go with a high-deductible policy and then decided to get pregnant and ended up with a prenatal diagnosis that resulted in lots of testing. We met the deductible long before the birth.

However, our typical insurance plan covers lots of expenses before we meet our deductible. Regular office visits and vaccinations, for example, are covered.

We are lucky to have good insurance, we meet our family deductible every year, usually within the first few months. We put money into an FSA account to help pay it and other medical expenses every year.

:iagree:

We've met our deductible every year since we've had kids. The years I've been pregnant we've also met our out-of-pocket in-network maximum.

Every year. We have allergies, asthma, broken bones, scoleosis... you name it. It is only a few hundred dollars per person each (one for in-network, one for out,) with a cap of a few thousand for the whole family.

When dh was in school, we only carried catastrophic care, because that was the smartest option financially. If you aren't using more than the deductible amount, maybe that would be a better option (unless you are through an employer and have no choice.) We never had to use that one, thankfully.

Family deductible, or individual deductible?

We've met the individual deductible 5 out of 10 years (as of the end of this year) and came close in a 6th year. We've never met the family deductible.

We tend to pay high premiums with low deductibles. For our family size, it hasn't been *terribly* unreasonable.

Our open enrollment is this month, and we have to decide between 100% coverage and 90% coverage (after deductible, which I haven't quite pinned down in the paperwork yet :glare:). The difference is $3,000 in premiums, which would only be eaten up by a $30,000+ bill. Considering my last emergency surgery "only" ran $7,000 after "preferred provider" discounts, I think we're going with the 90% plan!

We are lucky to have good insurance, we meet our family deductible every year, usually within the first few months. We put money into an FSA account to help pay it and other medical expenses every year.

Same here! But we have had some health issues(athsma, surgery, nicu) and several pregnancies (one which was twins) over the past 10 years. Plus our indiv and family deduction are pretty low. On the other hand we pay almost $90 week for ins through dh work. :tongue_smilie:

Even when we don't meet the deductible, we get our money's worth. The insurance company limits how much can be charged to us. Prescriptions we only have a copay for, and well visits are covered. This coming year, insurance for DD and I will be covered with a $1000 flex spending account that gets spent before the deductible starts getting counted. That is going to pay for a large chunk of paying for my midwife, which medicaid (which I but not DD also get as secondary ins.) doesn't cover at all and the insurance through work should cover at the out of network rate (so, half the cost).

Unless something goes wrong, I don't expect I'll hit the deductible this coming year.

Of our 13 years of marriage, lots of times! We have 6 children, three in hospital, one at home, then two more homebirth transfers for various reasons.

DH has a family history of heart attacks, so he goes every year for some pretty intensive testing.

I have a family history of breastcancer, so I recently did a baseline mammogram.

We've had multiple ER trips this year already, plus in previous years. Some were simple stitches and others were more complex following an injury. I've had a stress frcture in my foot that is STILL causing me problems.

Never have.

Well, I guess Bud was on employer's insurance when the first two kids were born and that probably met our deductible. And the week I spent in the hospital after my appendix ruptured probably hit it, too. But overall we had good employee benefits and were young and very healthy, so I just never looked at it.

Since Bud started his own business in 2002, we've had individual insurance with a deductible of $5000 per person, which we recently raised to $8000 per person. We've never come close to hitting it. It doesn't cover maternity so we paid that out of pocket for Romy - around $7000 total for OB and hospital. Other than that we've never spent more than about $1000 in a year for medical.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We don't have a deductible but if we did we'd meet it annually because 2 of my children have medical special needs (cleft lip/palate and cataracts/glaucoma).

twice in 20 years for the individual never for the family. And that covers 4 kids, 1 surgery, several years of allergy shots and many sick visits for the typical upper respiratory thing and speech therapy. Dental and vision have always NOT been included.Those are in addition to any medical.

We did dropped health insurance in the last 3 years.