Menu

question for vision therapy vets

wapiti

Anyone have experience with accommodative dysfunction? Did you do only glasses, or glasses plus VT?

Just found out about this from what I thought would be a simple checkup to inclrease dd9's distance prescription. Instead the prescription is for bifocals. But we saw an optometrist who is not our VT guy (VT guy is further away, etc.; dd9 did VT three years ago for eye tracking). Now I don't know whether to see him - I really really really don't want to have to do any VT again - there's just no time. From what I saw on line today, it may or may not be necesssary - there seems to be some disagreement among optometrists. I guess we'll wait to see what happens with the glasses. In the meantime, I'd love to hear anyone's experience with this. :)

Edited by wapiti

Anyone have experience with accommodative dysfunction? Did you do only glasses, or glasses plus VT?

My daughter wore bifocals for 3 years, and at her recent checkup the doctor said she doesn't need them anymore. She didn't have vision therapy, so I have no idea why the problem disappeared. :confused:

ds had a batch of issues, the greatest being severe convergence insufficiency. I am not sure if there was accomodative dysfunction...probably. He ended up with biofocals, after the VT. There would be no harm in using them (ds got the ones that are transitions and you can't tell, although they cost an insane quantity of $$)

My daughter wore bifocals for 3 years, and at her recent checkup the doctor said she doesn't need them anymore. She didn't have vision therapy, so I have no idea why the problem disappeared. :confused:

Thank you Heidi, this is what I was hoping to hear :)

ds had a batch of issues, the greatest being severe convergence insufficiency. I am not sure if there was accomodative dysfunction...probably. He ended up with biofocals, after the VT. There would be no harm in using them (ds got the ones that are transitions and you can't tell, although they cost an insane quantity of $$)

When I was poking around on line yesterday, I saw a couple articles discussing the combination of accommodative dysfunction and convergence insufficiency - the former may be a result of the latter sometimes, I think. I'm glad to know the bifocals won't hurt anything!

:bigear: any other experiences with accommodative dysfunction?

Yeah, I think the accomodation issues are just another bit of stuff to be treated with more VT. Sorry, since that's not what you wanted to hear. You'd probably feel more confident if you at least got her evaluated by the VT doc, kwim? Around here they keep treating you till they think you're all done, and then they "graduate" you. Maybe you stopped before she was ready to graduate, kwim? If you reached the limit on that VT doc, maybe a new one? More keep coming out. A number of therapists at our VT place leave to go to school to become full-fledged docs. There might be someone new near you you don't know about.

And yes, I know about being too busy, lol. Dd asked today why I'm always so grouchy. I said it might be the trip to Cincy each week, the trip to OT, the extra trip to Cincy (for a Prompt workshop), etc., ugh. I'm thinking about putting reindeer antlers on my car, I spend so much time in it.