Menu

How much is an hour of sleep worth to you?

Would you give up 1 hour of sleep per weekday in order to make $140-$160 per month?  

1. 1. Would you give up 1 hour of sleep per weekday in order to make $140-$160 per month?

• I would definitely do it! $140-$160/month is worth losing the sleep.
    • No way! Sleep is worth way more than that!
    • Other (please tell me your thoughts!)

How much is one hour of sleep worth to you? Funny question? Well, I am currently debating taking "in" another "daycare child" and this question is the one thing keeping me from taking the job. I currently watch one little girl (age 2 1/2) five days per week. Her dad is supposed to bring her at 8am, but he usually gets to my house closer to 8:30am. I get her dressed and fed; she plays for awhile and then I take her to her preschool at 9:15. I come home and do school with my kids, eat lunch and then pick her up from school at 1:15. She and my little one both nap after that, while I finish schoolwork with my big kids. I've been doing it for years (I used to watch her older sister). There is another little girl that attends the same preschool program as this little girl. Her mom has gone back to college and the dad is working. They need someone to watch their little girl (also age 2 1/2) beginning at 7am and then taking her to preschool at 9:15. The grandmother would be picking the little girl up at preschool, so it would just be for the morning time. I would charge $35-$40 per week (5 days). But, I just can't get past the 7am start time! I usually get up between 7am and 7:15, take a shower, get ready, have a few minutes of quiet time and then get my kids up around 7:45-8:00. By the time my "daycare" girl arrives at 8:30, we are starting schoolwork and chores. If I watch this new little girl, I would need to be up at 6:15. I am more of a night owl, so my usual bedtime is 11:30-12am. Two nights per week, I work and don't get to bed until 1am. I'm afraid that losing that 1 hour of sleep per day might put me over the edge. On the other hand, the money would be helpful, especially with the holidays approaching.

So, what would you do? Would you give up 5 hours of sleep per week for $35-40?

How much is one hour of sleep worth to you?

Honestly, it depends on where that one hour falls. Like you, I'm a night owl. An extra hour during the evening or late night hours would be totally doable. That extra hour during the early morning, instead?? Heck to the no! It takes all I can muster to get out of bed during my own appointed hour, thankyouverymuch :D

So, what would you do? Would you give up 5 hours of sleep per week for $35-40?

To me the question is less "how much is one hour of sleep worth to you" and more "is $35 worth the extra effort it's going to take me to not lose my cool with the kids since I'm losing five hours a week of decompression/adjusting to morning" ... I wouldn't do it, but I get super cranky if I have to wake up early on a regular basis. Especially when it interferes with my "me" time.

That's just me, though. My kids would rather give up $35 worth of something each week than to have me wake up an hour ealier to earn it :tongue_smilie: You may have a lower cranky-factor or less early-rising kids LOL.

I am the one that posted other. I have insomnia pretty bad so I am awake most of the time anyhow. I could easily handle 1 hour just about anytime of the day except the time you listed. I get most of my sleep between about 3-6 and/or 7-10. I would not be willing to give up any sleep that I do get for just about anything.

I wouldn't do it. I do not think that that amount of money is worth 5 hours of sleep each week, but also if you're not in bed until 1am for 2 nights of the week, I definitely would not do it. That's only 5 hours of sleep, 2 nights per week. I'm not able to function on that and my family thanks me for acknowledging that and making sure I get more. :D I'm quite sure if it came down to it, that my dh would find another way to make $35/week rather than sacrifice my sleep.

It would be totally dependant on how hungry we were. If we weren't starving, no way would I do it. But if I needed the money, then I would do what I had to do.

Sleep is important to me. And in turn, it is important to my family that I get enough of it. If the income wasn't necessary and I was doing it to be a nice person...well, I'm not actually all that nice, honestly.

As others have said, it would depend how desperately I needed the money. I would have to be pretty desperate. I value my sleep immensely- it colours my whole quality of life, how grumpy I get, how snappy I am with dh and the kids- so ultimately it would affect the whole tone of our home. Sufficient sleep is even related to healthy weight, not to mention other health issues.

Thank you all for your input and opinions. The results of the poll were pretty reflective of my feelings. If it were a matter of not eating, there would be no question and I would take the job, regardless of the amount of sleep being lost. However, we are not in that desperate of a situation. The extra money would be helpful as we try to pay down debt and establish a cushion in the event of any financial emergencies. However, given that I am already spread thin (homeschooling our four kids, babysitting for one little girl full-time, and then working 12 additional hours outside of our home), on top of the fact that my husband works 3 jobs, leads me to believe that the money from this job is not enough to warrant the sacrifice of sleep and the potential that it might "put me over the edge!"

Thanks for helping me think it through!