Menu

If your child is already reading, is there any reason to still do Saxon Phonics?

missesd

I think the title pretty much summed up my question. My 1st grader is working on 100 Easy Lessons. But my 2cnd grader started reading last year while we were working on the States. He is already reading Magic Treehouse Chapter books, should I still be doing a formal phonics program with him??

For your answer, listen to SWB's MP3s. I think it's in the first one. The short story is YES! She said especially in kids who are natural readers, parents stop phonics. THen about 4th-5th grade reading level (or even later), these kids hit a wall b/c they don't have the necessary phonics skills to decode large, multi-syllable words that they might not have encountered before in reading or conversation.

For your answer, listen to SWB's MP3s. I think it's in the first one. The short story is YES! She said especially in kids who are natural readers, parents stop phonics. THen about 4th-5th grade reading level (or even later), these kids hit a wall b/c they don't have the necessary phonics skills to decode large, multi-syllable words that they might not have encountered before in reading or conversation.

:iagree: Yes! What she said. :)

I'm honored! My first "what she said!" I'm usually the one saying that about someone else's post! Although I was really only paraphrasing SWB's words. But I'm having a rough HS day so I need all the bright spots I can find.

Although, if your question is specifically about Saxon Phonics, I've never seen it so I can't speak to that point. It might be overkill. Your DC just might be work on advanced phonics rules, syllabication, etc if Saxon Phonics only covers basic phonics.

I'm honored! My first "what she said!" I'm usually the one saying that about someone else's post! Although I was really only paraphrasing SWB's words. But I'm having a rough HS day so I need all the bright spots I can find.

Although, if your question is specifically about Saxon Phonics, I've never seen it so I can't speak to that point. It might be overkill. Your DC just might be work on advanced phonics rules, syllabication, etc if Saxon Phonics only covers basic phonics.

I am having a rough day too.... wanna know my highlight?? Coming home and having a PM from someone who helped my find a book I posted about on here that was HTF, NEW- hardcover for less then $20, and less then $4 in shipping, and it was the LAST ONE!!!

That PM made my day :party:

I :001_wub: this board!!

With what?? How old is he, or what grade is he in??

Thanks for sharing :001_wub:

We use the spelling rule cards and phonogram cards from Spell to Write and Read... I tried to do this whole program, but it just wasn't working for us, so now we just use the cards and small bits of the program. We also have The ABC's and All Their Tricks that we use for a reference guide. Recently we've started using Sequential Spelling book 1. This program stresses that you not teach spelling rules, but we DO teach them based on the other too resources, and he really loves that part. He's 5 1/2... technically he's a K'er, but his reading and comprehension level is way beyond that.

:party::hurray::hurray::hurray:

I am having a rough day too.... wanna know my highlight?? Coming home and having a PM from someone who helped my find a book I posted about on here that was HTF, NEW- hardcover for less then $20, and less then $4 in shipping, and it was the LAST ONE!!!

That PM made my day :party:

I :001_wub: this board!!

SWB discusses what approach to use. She didn't recommend some spelling programs for phonics b/c they don't approach phonics in a systematic way. I think she was talking about Spelling Power or the other similar sounding one. I'm using How to Teach Spelling w/ my 2nd grader to hit those spelling rules and syllabication. I then will give him an SWR test, which we used previously, and place him wherever the test indicates and finish SWR.