Menu

Biology after using 7th grade BJU Life Science

We are using BJU 7th grade Life Science with DVDs this year. My dd has learned a lot, but it hasn't been easy. She is not enjoying this class like I thought she would. The videoes seem to prolong the time it takes to do science. We have to take tests open book, yet we take quizzes closed book (information is more fresh on the mind.) She seems to be doing better and better as the year progresses. That encourages me.

I'm beginning to think about/plan high school biology (all science, actually). I'm a little afraid of BJU high school, BUT just looking at the 10th grade text, it is much like 7th grade life science just deeper. It could be that we will be well prepared for 10th grade BJU biology (yet that is three whole years away!) :eek::ack2::ohmy: (For 8th grade, I want dd to study physical science -chemistry and physics. I'm strongly considering CPO middle school physical science. We've studied earth/space science and don't want to repeat it.)

If there is a better 8th grade physical science (chemistry/physics) better than CPO, I would love to hear about it.

Can anyone tell me about BJU 10th grade biology? I'd also like to know your favorite biology texts in case we don't do BJU. I want to find something engaging that has the element of *fun* to it, yet solidly college-prep. If it helps, I'm seriously considering chemistry in 9th grade before 10th grade biology.

:bigear: Thanks so much for all of you help!

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama
Plans for 8th grade

We are using BJU 7th grade Life Science with DVDs this year. My dd has learned a lot, but it hasn't been easy. She is not enjoying this class like I thought she would. The videoes seem to prolong the time it takes to do science. We have to take tests open book, yet we take quizzes closed book (information is more fresh on the mind.) She seems to be doing better and better as the year progresses. That encourages me.

I'm beginning to think about/plan high school biology (all science, actually). I'm a little afraid of BJU high school, BUT just looking at the 10th grade text, it is much like 7th grade life science just deeper. It could be that we will be well prepared for 10th grade BJU biology (yet that is three whole years away!) :eek::ack2::ohmy: (For 8th grade, I want dd to study physical science -chemistry and physics. I'm strongly considering CPO middle school physical science. We've studied earth/space science and don't want to repeat it.)

If there is a better 8th grade physical science (chemistry/physics) better than CPO, I would love to hear about it.

Can anyone tell me about BJU 10th grade biology? I'd also like to know your favorite biology texts in case we don't do BJU. I want to find something engaging that has the element of *fun* to it, yet solidly college-prep. If it helps, I'm seriously considering chemistry in 9th grade before 10th grade biology.

:bigear: Thanks so much for all of you help!

Sweet home alabama,

So glad you started this thread. I also followed your other thread about 9th grade chemistry. As you know, my dd is also doing BJU life science. You seem to be having the same questions and thoughts as me. I've pondered moving on to biology after life science, but I don't know if my dd will be ready for it. This class is a great foundation, but honestly, I'm not sure she's actually comprehending a lot of it. We just finished cellular respiration. The whole time I was helping her I kept thinking, "boy, this is so much easier to understand with some basic chemistry knowledge." So, at this point, I think we'll still do Spectrum chemistry in 9th (& their bridge math) and then do bio in 10th (probably Shepherd). For next year, I don't know yet. I'll be listening intently to the responses.

Jennifer

Sweet home alabama,

So glad you started this thread. I also followed your other thread about 9th grade chemistry. As you know, my dd is also doing BJU life science. You seem to be having the same questions and thoughts as me. I've pondered moving on to biology after life science, but I don't know if my dd will be ready for it. This class is a great foundation, but honestly, I'm not sure she's actually comprehending a lot of it. We just finished cellular respiration. The whole time I was helping her I kept thinking, "boy, this is so much easier to understand with some basic chemistry knowledge." So, at this point, I think we'll still do Spectrum chemistry in 9th (& their bridge math) and then do bio in 10th (probably Shepherd). For next year, I don't know yet. I'll be listening intently to the responses.

Jennifer

Jennifer, thank you for responding! I know we are only in 7th grade this year, but I can just see high school looming right around the corner. How did the time go by? Wasn't it only yesterday that dd was a little girl playing dress up and having tea parties with daddy? I get tears just thinking about it.

Pardon my flashback. As I consider teaching high school, sometimes I feel like we can actually do this. Other times I really get very worried because so much is riding on my actions and decisions. I'm trying to get ready for high school NOW because I only get one shot at this, and I don't want to mess up.

I know we all go through these feelings, and I am SO thankful to have the help of the ladies on TWTM.

As for BJU, my dd seems to be improving study skills and generally just finding her groove with life science. This has been the class that has been the best and the worst all at the same time.

I'm interested that you found Science Shepherd too. I read about it just in doing research on the board, and it looks promising. CBD had one review that was not favorable. The reviewer complained of many errors in the writing, I think. It crossed my mind that there would be time for the author to make corrections before we would need to use it.

I can see using Spectrum in 9th and Science Shepherd in 10th if we did not continue with BJU. Thus my question. Life Science may well have us prepared for their biology. It might even be a little "easier" only in that it is a continuation of something we are familiar with.

I'm hoping to hear about CPO middle school physical science and other favorite high school biology classes that are being used this year. Hopefully we can all benefit from any experiences shared.

:001_smile:

A few thoughts...my 12yo is also using BJU Life Science. It is our first year of being *serious* with science and I think it is a great book! We are not using the dvds so it is not that time consuming and we do the tests open book as well. I think it is preparing her well for High School. Then again -I've used both Apologia and Rainbow at this grade level and they were also very good!

I have also used Spectrum Chemistry and BJU Biology. I would hesitate to use Spectrum Chem in the 9th grade unless your child is seriously strong in math. My oldest took it concurrently with Algebra 2 and found it a killer, even with Bridge Math over the summer!

BJU Biology is very thorough but we really liked it. Perhaps it is because we used the DIVE CD with it - my daughter read the entire text but the DIVE seemed so much more manageable than the BJU TM! I don't know if the tests were easier - it is possible but I have never compared them.

I would suggest that you make a list of all the sciences you want her to cover in High School. Chem, Bio and Physics only take up three years and if you don't want her to repeat Earth/Space, you have room for advanced/AP classes or something that she would find particularly interesting - Environmental Science or Electronics or something. If she is not "science-y", three years is enough for most, if not all, LA type colleges.

All this to say, I would think that 8th - Physical, 9th - Bio (or Chem is you have a good reason), 10th - Chem (or bio), 11th - Physics, 12th - AP/choice/none would work well.

OH - about the element of "fun". Rainbow was a lot of fun but Spectrum was pretty much hard work. BJU was interesting but I can't say it was fun! The labs for both were good and even fun but the texts...I haven't found one yet! Apologia speaks more to the student...maybe she would like that approach?

Well, hope something here helps.

ETA: Another thought on Chemistry. My 17yo is doing Chem this year (we saved it for Senior Year so she could do the labs at a local Christian school, among other reasons) and she is using the Teaching Co. High School Chem dvds along with the BJU text for reference. She is finding it very interesting. The lectures are a little "less" than BJU would be - maybe 2x per week? - and she spends the rest of the week "researching" the BJU text and completing the lab assignments. It is sort of free-wheeling and I would not have tried this when she was younger and needed more direction. But it has been kind of fun for her!

Edited by Liza Q

A few thoughts...my 12yo is also using BJU Life Science. It is our first year of being *serious* with science and I think it is a great book! We are not using the dvds so it is not that time consuming and we do the tests open book as well. I think it is preparing her well for High School. Then again -I've used both Apologia and Rainbow at this grade level and they were also very good!

I have also used Spectrum Chemistry and BJU Biology. I would hesitate to use Spectrum Chem in the 9th grade unless your child is seriously strong in math. My oldest took it concurrently with Algebra 2 and found it a killer, even with Bridge Math over the summer!

BJU Biology is very thorough but we really liked it. Perhaps it is because we used the DIVE CD with it - my daughter read the entire text but the DIVE seemed so much more manageable than the BJU TM! I don't know if the tests were easier - it is possible but I have never compared them.

I would suggest that you make a list of all the sciences you want her to cover in High School. Chem, Bio and Physics only take up three years and if you don't want her to repeat Earth/Space, you have room for advanced/AP classes or something that she would find particularly interesting - Environmental Science or Electronics or something. If she is not "science-y", three years is enough for most, if not all, LA type colleges.

All this to say, I would think that 8th - Physical, 9th - Bio (or Chem is you have a good reason), 10th - Chem (or bio), 11th - Physics, 12th - AP/choice/none would work well.

OH - about the element of "fun". Rainbow was a lot of fun but Spectrum was pretty much hard work. BJU was interesting but I can't say it was fun! The labs for both were good and even fun but the texts...I haven't found one yet! Apologia speaks more to the student...maybe she would like that approach?

Well, hope something here helps.

ETA: Another thought on Chemistry. My 17yo is doing Chem this year (we saved it for Senior Year so she could do the labs at a local Christian school, among other reasons) and she is using the Teaching Co. High School Chem dvds along with the BJU text for reference. She is finding it very interesting. The lectures are a little "less" than BJU would be - maybe 2x per week? - and she spends the rest of the week "researching" the BJU text and completing the lab assignments. It is sort of free-wheeling and I would not have tried this when she was younger and needed more direction. But it has been kind of fun for her!

Liza,

This is awesome information! Your review about Spectrum chemistry is different from other reviews. I just don't know what to think about it. If we did not use Spectrum for chemistry, what chemistry would be appropriate in 9th? Rainbow is written for middle school, or so I understand.

You know, I've read a lot and asked a lot of questions.... I'm sure I'll need to ask more!:tongue_smilie: But..... it is becoming obvious that the best I'll be able to do for now is to have several classes lined up for high school biology, chemistry, and physics so that when the time comes to actually pick one, I can make the best choice based on what my dd's needs are at that particular time.

So far...

Biology: BJU, Campbell's, Miller/Levine, Singapore, Apologia

Chemistry: BJU, Spectrum, Zumdahl

Physics: ???

My dd LOVES horses. I would like to find a way for her to study science and incorporate something with horses in it. I haven't begun to research that yet.

I'm a little discouraged only in that I want Spectrum to work, and I'm concerned now that it may be too hard. Math doesn't come easily for us, but it is getting done. Maybe BJU Biology with DIVE would work. Yet, I've looked at DIVE, and I think my dd would think they look "boring"..... We use BJU DVDs now with Life Science, and she's not thrilled about them. See, I just don't know what to think.

Also, I don't know where to see samples of Miller/Levine and Campbells. I'm assuming we would use the Explorations book. I'm just now researching these.

This is not easy.

Thank you so much for your help!

I bought Spectrum because I had liked Rainbow and I really liked the lab kit! But I don't think there was enough explanation for my daughter who is not a math/science kind of kid (SAT Math 540, Verbal 760 - see what I mean?). I struggle with Chemistry myself so I was not much help. She was tired of Apologia and wanted another approach and I thought that she would be ready as she was in the 10th grade but she was not. I gave her a C in the class and it was a real drag on her transcript but that is all she deserved.

This is why we went with a different approach with my second daughter. The multiple approaches (TTC dvd, BJU text and lab teacher at the school) have been useful. Also, she has completed Alg 1&2 and Geometry and is working through Trig so she is not having a problem with the math at all. I think any program would have worked well with my first - including Spectrum! - if she had been stronger in math.

BUT - I have been purposefully light on Science. Neither of my older girls did Physics. If you want a heavier load of science in High School you need to take what I say with a grain of salt :lol:

But..... it is becoming obvious that the best I'll be able to do for now is to have several classes lined up for high school biology, chemistry, and physics so that when the time comes to actually pick one, I can make the best choice based on what my dd's needs are at that particular time.
You are right about this! I have changed my mind about curricula/texts several times over the years but we have almost always come up with the right choice for that particular child/grade/subject. Spectrum stands out to me because it is one of the rare misses :glare: But it was not a bad program at all - just not the right one for us!

LizaQ: I also thank you for your input about Spectrum because I, too, was under the impression that the math was less difficult than Zumdahl or BJU.

Sweet home alabama: I think what I have got to do is sit down and review all texts myself. I guess I'll have to fork out the money to do that because I don't know anyone using anything other than Apologia. It seems to be the only science around here that anybody uses in both elem & high school. Like usual, I am the non-conforming homeschooler. :D

I did wonder about using Rainbow (completing in one year) for 8th grade. I thought it would at least offer prep for physics & chem, while reviewing concepts from life science that we are covering now. I'd like to know what others think about that idea. The reason I like this approach is because of the hands-on work in Rainbow.

Jennifer

LizaQ: I also thank you for your input about Spectrum because I, too, was under the impression that the math was less difficult than Zumdahl or BJU.

I think it *is* less difficult but it is still difficult, kwim? A 9th grader strong in math might be just fine with it. Spectrum Chem is not particularly challenging but it is still Chemistry - and my daughter needed extra support and I did not have a plan to give it to her. A 9th grader who did well in Algebra 1 in the 8th grade might use it and have a great year.

Planning which science to do when is really challenging - despite the fact that Chem before Bio (and even Physics before both!) seems best, my children were just not *there* in math. I think this would only worry me if my girls wanted to major in one of the sciences. We spent the time we might have spent on Physics and advanced Bio/Chem or another science studying Geography, Philosophy and Psychology. And again I find myself wondering - why on earth am I giving advice on a science related thread ;)

Sweet home alabama: I think what I have got to do is sit down and review all texts myself. I guess I'll have to fork out the money to do that because I don't know anyone using anything other than Apologia. It seems to be the only science around here that anybody uses in both elem & high school. Like usual, I am the non-conforming homeschooler. :D

I did wonder about using Rainbow (completing in one year) for 8th grade. I thought it would at least offer prep for physics & chem, while reviewing concepts from life science that we are covering now. I'd like to know what others think about that idea. The reason I like this approach is because of the hands-on work in Rainbow.

Jennifer

Jennifer, I might have an option that we haven't discussed yet..... I think!:lol::D

I asked a question on another existing thread about the best physical science for 8th grade. The bottom line that was suggested is to do conceptual physics in 8th grade. I do NOT know if this works or not. I don't know if the math/science combo is doable or not. I hope someone will confirm if this is a good idea or not. Try this:

Math: Lial's Algebra I (We're using BCM this year)

Science: Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (I do not know which one. ?????)

9th grade:

Math: Alg. II or geometry (don't know which is better first)

Science: Spectrum (maybe it wouldn't be as bad after physics)

10th grade:

Math: Geometry (or Alg. II)

Science: Biology (still working on which one)

11th grade:

Math: Trig??? (I never went past Alg II and geometry!!!)

Science: Either physics or advanced chem. (I say this because I've read where chemistry is a weed out class in college. More in high school might help.

12th grade:

Math: Pre-cal or maybe a practical math

Science: Advanced science based on student's career choice

T

I think it *is* less difficult but it is still difficult, kwim? A 9th grader strong in math might be just fine with it. Spectrum Chem is not particularly challenging but it is still Chemistry - and my daughter needed extra support and I did not have a plan to give it to her. A 9th grader who did well in Algebra 1 in the 8th grade might use it and have a great year.

YES! I know exactly what you mean. I took 1 qtr of chem in 10th grade and made a C--one of the only C's I made in HS. I was lost, both drowning in concepts and math. I retook the class the next year (jr yr) with a different teacher (same book) and bingo! I understood everything and made A's. The same thing happened to me in geometry. It was as though my brain required an extra year of development to understand the more abstract. Having gone through this, I want to be careful not to jump the gun on rigor until my dc are ready.

Jennifer

Jennifer, I might have an option that we haven't discussed yet..... I think!:lol::D

I asked a question on another existing thread about the best physical science for 8th grade. The bottom line that was suggested is to do conceptual physics in 8th grade. I do NOT know if this works or not. I don't know if the math/science combo is doable or not. I hope someone will confirm if this is a good idea or not. Try this:

Math: Lial's Algebra I (We're using BCM this year)

Science: Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (I do not know which one. ?????)

9th grade:

Math: Alg. II or geometry (don't know which is better first)

Science: Spectrum (maybe it wouldn't be as bad after physics)

10th grade:

Math: Geometry (or Alg. II)

Science: Biology (still working on which one)

11th grade:

Math: Trig??? (I never went past Alg II and geometry!!!)

Science: Either physics or advanced chem. (I say this because I've read where chemistry is a weed out class in college. More in high school might help.

12th grade:

Math: Pre-cal or maybe a practical math

Science: Advanced science based on student's career choice

T

This looks like a good, tentative plan. I think I've got to be careful that I don't overwhelm my dd, too soon. She needs just enough challenge without it pushing her over the edge. I still think I'd like to review the books I'm interested in before I really make a full plan. But so far, I like what you've suggested!

Jennifer

I want to be careful not to jump the gun on rigor until my dc are ready.

Jennifer

So true. My goal has always been to start where they are, challenge but not frustrate, keep all the required subjects and their particular interests in balance, help them get as far as they can get.

So true. My goal has always been to start where they are, challenge but not frustrate, keep all the required subjects and their particular interests in balance, help them get as far as they can get.

I totally agree!!

I'm trying to find the "perfect" curriculum..... something that will be on grade level (we do not need rigorous) that will launch my dd into high school science. She is science oriented, but is still getting used to studying and test taking.

We're only in 7th grade this year, so I definitely want that "just-right" stepping stone science that will ease her into high school chemistry.

OK... whoever knows what this "perfect" curriculum is, please speak up!:lol:

Sweet home alabama,

In the thread about "order of sciences", I noticed regentrude and others mentioned Conceptual physics for 8th grade. It seems that I recently read that Conceptual Chemistry had a similar format--more emphasis on understanding vs. solving difficult chemistry problems. I wonder if it might be better for 9th grade than Spectrum. Just thinking out loud. Any thoughts? I'll see if I can find the thread...maybe it was LoriD who was using it????

Jennifer

Sweet home alabama,

In the thread about "order of sciences", I noticed regentrude and others mentioned Conceptual physics for 8th grade. It seems that I recently read that Conceptual Chemistry had a similar format--more emphasis on understanding vs. solving difficult chemistry problems. I wonder if it might be better for 9th grade than Spectrum. Just thinking out loud. Any thoughts? I'll see if I can find the thread...maybe it was LoriD who was using it????

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I have thought about this. There is a "physics first" sequence that seems to make a lot of sense. (physics, then chemistry, then biology.) The disadvantage (as far as I can tell) is that it doesn't require the math that is found in the more traditional sequence bio, chem, physics. Many who are doing physics first use "conceptual" texts because they are math "lite". According to what I have read, this could end up hurting a student in the end if he is planning to major in a science related field. (It is probably ok for a non-science oriented person.)

My dd thinks she will do something in science.... with horses in particular. She hasn't chosen a field.... she's just 12.5 years old, but I want to be careful as far as planning her high school courses. I'm just not comfortable (at least right now) with a total conceptual plan.

BUT... if I use conceptual physics in 8th, I'm wondering if that would be enough prep for a 9th grade chemistry. It doesn't have to be Spectrum, but I don't have anything in mind at the moment as a substitute. With this in mind, my high school classes will still be "mathy"- more traditional, yet I will still get to do the "physics-first" sequence without jeopardizing the authenticity of our science classes. (Does that make sense?)

My problem is that I don't want to overwhelm her with courses that are above her developmental level. Our 7th grade BJU Life is plenty challenging at this point. The comment about Spectrum being so difficult concerns me, so I'll just keep asking questions and researching.

Thank you for keeping me in touch, Jennifer. I definitely hope we can find classes that work for high school!