Menu

Please tell me my new glasses won't make me feel sick forever!

I picked up my new glasses yesterday morning and 24 hours later I just want to throw them out! This is my first time wearing progressive lenses and I feel like I have a bad hangover!:eek: I have an awful headache and every time I change my focus I get queasy. I wish someone would have warned me about how different these would be from my last pair. Unfortunately the other people in my family act like it's no big deal, but I feel just awful. I have been very good and left them on as much as possible, hoping that I would adjust. I can see better, as long as I look straight ahead, but I keep forgetting that I can't just glance side to side. That's when I get that sick to my stomach feeling. And driving in them is just awful!!

How long is it going to take before this awful feeling goes away?

I picked up my new glasses yesterday morning and 24 hours later I just want to throw them out! This is my first time wearing progressive lenses and I feel like I have a bad hangover!:eek: I have an awful headache and every time I change my focus I get queasy. I wish someone would have warned me about how different these would be from my last pair. Unfortunately the other people in my family act like it's no big deal, but I feel just awful. I have been very good and left them on as much as possible, hoping that I would adjust. I can see better, as long as I look straight ahead, but I keep forgetting that I can't just glance side to side. That's when I get that sick to my stomach feeling. And driving in them is just awful!!

How long is it going to take before this awful feeling goes away?

BTDT :grouphug: It does get better. I think it took a couple of weeks for me to get totally adjusted to them. I remember feeling queasy and dizzy. I started off wearing them off and on during the day and gradually increased the amount of time I had them on. That worked well for me.

:grouphug: I was put into progressive lenses in July and I felt the same way. It does get better, but give yourself at least a couple of weeks. Even now, driving when I am tired or at night really gives my eyes/brain a workout. However, being able to see the computer screen without tilting my head back to look out of the bifocals has more than made up for the other headaches :D.

I was told not to drive with mine until after a couple weeks. It took me a couple of days, but once in a while I can get that feeling again.

What cracks me up is when I think they are on and I am now so used to them. Something is out of focus and I lift my chin to see better... and it's still out of focus because my glasses aren't on!!! Then I start laughing at myself...

It can take time, but sometimes they just don't work for you either.

My DH went directly to progressives from mono vision and never adapted. He would go back in and have them rechecked and "she" kept telling him the glasses were fine, keep trying. Eventually the manager of the optical place checked them and said sometimes people have a very low tollerance for error in the lenses and while his errors were within their accepted normal range, they didn't work for him. He went to a single line bifocal and adapted quite quickly. That was years ago, and the decision is that he just won't try progressives because of his low tolerance levels.

I know my mother took hers back after about a week and got regular bi-focals. I don't know if they would have worked if she'd given them more time, but she just couldn't stand the nauseated feeling all day, every day. On the other hand, my dad got laser eye surgery done and had one eye adjusted for close up reading and the other for distance. It only took him about a day or two to adjust to that. I guess it depends on your tolerance for that kind of thing.

I really appreciate hearing that I'm not the only who has taken a while to adjust. I never wore glasses until two years ago and had enough issues keeping those on my head! I definitely need to give it a little more time, but I do know that my mid-range isn't very good at all. I can see at a distance fine, and close up fine, but when I look at the computer screen I have to go up or down, the mid-section is completely out of focus. Maybe I just need to adapt my habits a bit! At least I know I'm not just a whiner like my family makes me feel. :lol:

Thanks!

BTDT :grouphug: It does get better. I think it took a couple of weeks for me to get totally adjusted to them. I remember feeling queasy and dizzy. I started off wearing them off and on during the day and gradually increased the amount of time I had them on. That worked well for me.

That's what I did as well. Took at least 2 weeks to adjust.

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to my first pair. I've had progressives about 12 years now and no problems. One thing that may help is to remember to point your nose at whatever you are looking at. You can't use your periferial vision with progressives.

Hang in there!

Mary

People said give it two weeks and it actually took a bit longer for me. My eyes hurt SO BAD every day. Driving was crazy. I had to move my glasses down and ignore the blurry part above my glasses.

Your eyeball actually changes shape, they say. That is the reason for the pain. I'm not sure I like that idea.

Since wearing progressives I can no longer squint and see the time on the clock in the mornings. I have to put my glasses on. I can't read in bed with glasses. I have to wear no glasses. (Very near-sighted.)

I guess it's worth it. It was terrible not being able to read tiny print of medicine bottles, etc. But progressive lenses are $o pricey!!!$ If I had to do it over again, I might just keep a magnifying glass handy and wear regular glasses.

Next time I need new glasses I might just go that route. (Money doesn't grow on trees around here;o) I suppose my eyes might change shape again and hurt a lot while they are.

I hope you can take a couple of weeks and be easy on yourself during this time of adjustment!

They did not work for me, in fact I'm waiting for the new prescription to come in now.

I did get a second exam and dr. said the astigmatism might be too high and offered another less "powerful" pair. I'm not ready to give up my full field of vision yet, and the constant pointing my nose was literally a pain in the neck.

I can see up close and will just have to settle for now.

Your prescription may be off, especially if your eyes are different and the axis is very important. I did wear a wrong prescription for a year once, and the headaches were constant. I refuse to do that again as I was told to wear them for a few weeks and I'd adjust. I did wear them, but they never felt right.

Hope you're able to work it out.

Well, the advice that my nose needs to point where I'm looking has made a huge difference!! No one told me that! I think not trying to using my peripheral vision as much has helped tremendously. I can't say that I like my glasses yet, but at least I don't feel queasy so far today.

You gals are the best!

It should not be that bad for that long. If so, you probably need to get them re-adjusted. It is a bit of an art to getting you "into the zone". One thing I was told that really helped me, was to point your nose at whatever you want to look at. You can't glance out of the corner of your eye anymore. Did they draw a picture of what your prescription looks like? If not, google it and see where your zones are. That will help you understand where you can get your best vision. My first pair, the prescription was wrong. There was too much near and too little far. I saw another doc in the practice and he said it was just plain error. After that was corrected, it was much easier to adjust. This last pair I got in the spring, I never had a moment's trouble. Put them on and it was fine. Do work with your optician. Ask for someone trained in the adjustment of progressive lenses. Again, it is an art and does take some skill (and training) to get it right.

I just wanted to add, I was very afraid of getting them in the first place, because of all the negative things I had read about people having trouble adjusting to them.

I LOVE them! I can't even begin to tell you how much I love them. I feel like I have new eyes. Don't give up yet; try to get yours readjusted or reground.

Well, the advice that my nose needs to point where I'm looking has made a huge difference!! No one told me that! I think not trying to using my peripheral vision as much has helped tremendously. I can't say that I like my glasses yet, but at least I don't feel queasy so far today.

Glad it's working :001_smile: You will get to the point where you don't have to think about "pointing your nose" anymore, you'll do it automatically.

After awhile, if you find you they don't seem to be working right anymore, take them to the opticians and have them checked. The adjustment of the nose pieces are very important in progressives and they can get off over time. They make a difference in what part of the lense you are looking through for different distances.

I've found for some things I need to just take them off. I was on a ladder painting crown moulding and couldn't see the moulding unless I bent my head waaaaaaay back to look out the reading portion. Wasn't doable, so I just took them off.

Hang in there! Once I adjusted I loved them.

Mary

If it takes too long - don't be afraid to go back in and make sure they got it right.

I did and it turned out that they had reversed the lenses (left lens on the right side and vice versa) They never would have caught it had I not gone back in, and I think I would have been dizzy forever. :tongue_smilie:

If it takes too long - don't be afraid to go back in and make sure they got it right.

I did and it turned out that they had reversed the lenses (left lens on the right side and vice versa) They never would have caught it had I not gone back in, and I think I would have been dizzy forever. :tongue_smilie:

That's a good point. My opthalmologist gives me 30 days to go back in so he can check that my new glasses are correct. Many times, the store will say they're correct even if they're not, so it's nice to have the dr check them to be sure.

I got used to them entirely, except that when I'm hiking downhill or going down a flight of stairs, I always feel dizzy and some vertigo. I'm seriously considering getting a pair of non-progressive prescription sunglasses if I ever have extra money in my FSA at the end of the year, so that I can hike without this problem, as it can actually be pretty dangerous to fall in rocky mountain terrain. Now that I think about it, I have taken some pretty weird falls on asphalt and grass since getting these glasses, twisting my ankle on some terrain that had a depression/hole in it that I did not see, more than once. Maybe that's because of the vision thing as well. Hmmm.

But I can't drive without them, because I can't read the speedometer AND see the road unless I have two visions. And that would be bad! So they are GOOD, generally.

Well, I went back in yesterday and had them adjust the nose pads a little. That seems to be helping, especially when working on the computer. It's been a whole week and aside from a little "fuzziness" around the edges, I'm doing better. I'm guessing the fuzziness is my brain getting used to the lenses and learning to ignore the sides of the lenses where I can't focus anyway.

Thanks!

I've been procrastinating on getting my prescription for progressives filled, mostly because I'm horrible at picking out frames.

Question: if you can't use peripheral vision, wouldn't that make it more dangerous to drive? Or is it just that you can't use peripheral vision until you have adjusted to looking straight?

Y'all have me hesitating. Maybe I should just get bifocals (perhaps in solidarity with dd9, whose bifocals we'll be picking up this weekend).

I've been procrastinating on getting my prescription for progressives filled, mostly because I'm horrible at picking out frames.

Question: if you can't use peripheral vision, wouldn't that make it more dangerous to drive? Or is it just that you can't use peripheral vision until you have adjusted to looking straight?

Y'all have me hesitating. Maybe I should just get bifocals (perhaps in solidarity with dd9, whose bifocals we'll be picking up this weekend).

If you get progressives, get a good brand that uses almost the entire lense. I have Varilux lenses and I have no problems with using my peripheral vision.