Menu

My latest project

jenn&charles

I've decided that no curriculum package works for me (for history) and I'm just better off making my own stuff.

Sooo, I've been hard at work on my newest project. It turned out a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I'm nowhere near finished, but at least I have a good framework going. I couldn't decide whether to do world history or american history or what and then finally decided to just do it all, lol.

Anyone want to peek? Feedback?

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I hit download since it wouldn't let me view online and it opened up fine.

It looks awesome! I love all the extra links you include. I opened and printed everyone for Ancient history over the summer. I also love Otter's ratings!:D It helps to know what another boy thought of the books.

Guest aquiverfull

I agree with all the others! I'm impressed!! Thank you so much for sharing all your hard work freely with everyone. We are studying American right now, but when I get back to World history I'm considering MOH so I'm going to keep your program in mind. :)

Thanks for the comments. It's helpful to know what others think about it. I got all excited over it and didn't have anyone to share with so that's why I posted. It's kind of boring to be all happy about it by myself, lol. :tongue_smilie: Plus I'd really appreciate any comments/thoughts good or bad. :bigear: You all might have some ideas I haven't thought of yet! Or maybe this format doesn't really work for other people and I'm just weird. ;)

I'm wondering if you all think it would be easy for you to use.

I'm currently using it and I'm finding that it is, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

Here's another link to try. It's now in the temp directory of my website. I don't want to post it in the regular area yet because 1. It's not finished and 2. I don't know if I would be able to handle the bandwidth if just everybody downloaded it. :)

I'll leave it in temp for awhile and then take it out after this thread dies down.

Off topic, but do you know when the ancient plan will be available again??
Send me your email in a PM and I'll email it to you.

I do not have MS Office only Open Office so it won't open it. Is there anyway to save it to a place like scribd.com ?

Another mom who has Open office said she was able to get it to work. I'll just paste what she said and maybe that will help:

The link still says error if I try to just open it. But, I was able to save it and then reformat it into an odt file (Open Office) and it looks AWESOME

I don't know much about Open Office. I won't put it on Scrib, because I don't want any of my stuff on a site like that. (No offense to anyone who uses Scrib). I also don't want it available to the public at large right now. It's one thing to share a link with WTM'ers and another to throw it out there to just everyone (which I realize is kind of what I've done here, BUT there is a limited amount of people looking and only because I have shared the link...or so I'm telling myself).

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Anyway, thanks for looking and thanks for the nice comments. I promise I won't cry if you have anything bad to say about it either. :D

Your latest project is so timely for me! :lol

I have been working on something similar (your is way more "readable" :D ). I am also scheduling CHOW in there as I have so many levels going.

Looks nice. I agree that SOTW map activities are better than MOH. We may ditch MOH maps and just do SOTW ones for everyone.

I really wish I could open it. I have Microsoft Office and Google doc, but neither can open it. I wonder why???? I even tried opening it on my new Mac (I have two computers, a PC and a MAC)....on the Mac I could view it but not in web view so everything is all jumbled together on the schedule. HELP?????? Does anyone have any tips???? What am I doing wrong???

I really wish I could open it. I have Microsoft Office and Google doc, but neither can open it. I wonder why???? I even tried opening it on my new Mac (I have two computers, a PC and a MAC)....on the Mac I could view it but not in web view so everything is all jumbled together on the schedule. HELP?????? Does anyone have any tips???? What am I doing wrong???

What version of Office do you have? I can save it as an older version of office if that will help. I saved this copy in the newest Microsoft Word version.

Maybe on Monday I'll play around with Open Office and see if I can save it like that so more people can open it up. :)

What version of Office do you have? I can save it as an older version of office if that will help. I saved this copy in the newest Microsoft Word version.

Maybe on Monday I'll play around with Open Office and see if I can save it like that so more people can open it up. :)

i have Microsoft Office 2003. That would be great if it is easy to do. Thank you so much!

i have Microsoft Office 2003. That would be great if it is easy to do. Thank you so much!

Yes, it's very easy and will only take me a minute.

I'll take care of it Monday and post a link. :)

can you save it as a pdf?

I can't do that because it's too wide so a great deal of the schedule will not show up.

Right now the schedule isn't made to be printable - so it's much bigger than a page's width.

I'll play around with it though on Monday to get a couple different versions up for those of you that it didn't work for...

Hopefully I'll make it so it can open for the majority of everyone who wants to look.

Thanks for all the feedback and thanks everyone for taking a look or trying to!

I'll be back in this thread tomorrow with new links! :)

Ok, here is a link for the older version of Microsoft:

http://www.guesthollow.com/temp/history_older_word_version.doc

I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet in something like Open Office or the like, but I'll try to get around to doing that soon.

When I do, I'll post another link.

www.guesthollow.com/temp/history_older_word_version.doc

I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet in something like Open Office or the like, but I'll try to get around to doing that soon.

It worked!!!! I can see it. Thank you so much. I can't wait to check it out at leisure.

Thanks again,

Kim

Great work! We are reading Tales of King Arthur (ds 7 reads it aloud, but I help him out with the difficult words) and enjoying it. I'm also making my own plans with American History next year (I've been since a couple of years ago hehe), and I'm nervous that I won't have my trusted SOTW. However, I was happy to see that many of the books I'd already had in my Keynote Presentation (this is how I like to plan my lessons :)) for next year were in WinterPromise's American Story 1. Just a great coincidence, but a real confidence booster for me. I haven't started planning or scheduling it yet, but after the baby (due in Feb next year) grows a bit, that will be my priority!

O.K.! Here is an Open Office version of the schedule.

I downloaded Open Office (it's free if anyone is interested), pulled the document into it, messed around with it a tiny bit and got it to show up just fine and the same way it does in Microsoft Word.

http://www.guesthollow.com/temp/awesomehistoryscheduleopenofficversion.odt

Just make sure that you go up to the tool bar and choose view (file edit view...the 3rd word from the left in the bar) and then "web layout" which is right under print layout. That will make it display correctly.

I hope this works for those of you without Word who want to take a look. It's also the newest version of the schedule since I'm working on it almost every day at least a little. ;)

I'm thinking of throwing CHOW in there in addition to more of the Hakim stuff. Otter likes CHOW, so it will probably be worth my time. I still need to schedule in the rest of SOTW too. I wish I had the energy and time to make a bunch of interactive notebooking pages to go with all of this!

Thanks again to everyone for taking a look and for the feedback.

I haven't started planning or scheduling it yet, but after the baby (due in Feb next year) grows a bit, that will be my priority!

If you have any really great suggestions, let me know! :) I still want to add in a lot of American history stuff.

This is amazing! you have put a lot of work into this.

I am seriously impressed!

I also like that you answered questions about the movies and choosing certain ones.

i'm not sure why but there are repeated pictures of the books but I saved it to my desktop and changed the format somehow and they went away. lol

If you have any really great suggestions, let me know! :) I still want to add in a lot of American history stuff.

We seem to have very similar taste in books (both for the kids and ourselves!), so I thought I'd share some of what I'm adding. I just purchased a bunch of these books for CHEAP at Book Closeouts, so they were on my mind:

We seem to have very similar taste in books (both for the kids and ourselves!), so I thought I'd share some of what I'm adding. I just purchased a bunch of these books for CHEAP at Book Closeouts, so they were on my mind:

Oh WOW!! Thank you so much for this list!! I can't wait to go through it!!!

:D

When I started reading your post I thought it seemed familar, I've actually had your site, guesthollow, bookmarked for awhile now. I use your recommendations for books all the time. We love Otter's rating system too! What really helps, for me, is that you note if it's a religious text.

I also can't get the info from the link, my copy of MS word is older.

oh, wait just saw the link for older versions, TYVM!

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

www.guesthollow.com/temp/history_older_word_version.doc

I could finally see it on that.:) I guess I'm not up to date. Thank you Jenn for taking the extra effort to let us all see it. It is an awesome project and I'm very interested in using it.

• 2 months later...
Jenn, would you be willing to send me a copy? The links are now down and I cant find where I saved it on my computer? :confused:

Thanks!

Anyone who wants a copy...send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a webpage where you can download it that is on my website (it's not a public page).

It's the most recently updated copy (as I'm working on it all the time).

kicking myself that I missed this as we are going to do US History next year. I only get symbols whether I look at this or download and save it.

Thank you for all that you do though, we love your work!

The newest download is in .doc format. That is the older Microsoft Word format and should work, even if you are using Open Office.

If you email me and I send you the new link and you still can't get it to work, let me know and I'll figure out how to make it work for you.

:001_smile:

Anyone who wants a copy...send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a webpage where you can download it that is on my website (it's not a public page).

It's the most recently updated copy (as I'm working on it all the time).

The newest download is in .doc format. That is the older Microsoft Word format and should work, even if you are using Open Office.

If you email me and I send you the new link and you still can't get it to work, let me know and I'll figure out how to make it work for you.

:001_smile:

I just sent you a pm! I'm not sure why but none of the links work for me. They either give me a page error, or brings me to google docs that says it can't download it.:crying:

I just sent you a pm! I'm not sure why but none of the links work for me. They either give me a page error, or brings me to google docs that says it can't download it.:crying:

I deleted the files from the other links. I didn't want the old version hanging around forever....;)

However, I get a decent amount of requests for it, so now I have it up at a non-public area of my site and upload a newer version from time to time there.

Sorry for any confusion. I'll head on over to my PM's now so I can send you the new link. :)