Menu

s/o Secular Science

Truscifi

Ds has almost finished The Elements. I thought I could stretch it at least til Christmas, but no. I don't feel we should move on into McHenry's organic chem program as ds is only 6 and I don't want to overload him.

I am getting Thames & Kosmos Chem C1000 to do as some hands on science, but I was planning on supplementing with a LOT of videos. Please give me your best suggestions for science videos - chemistry related would be great, but anything would do. I do have Netflix, so if it is available there it would be even better.

What was disappointing about it? From what I see in previous threads it gets mixed reviews, but I didn't see anything that specified why some love it and some hate it.

The manual is HORRIBLE. Hardly any explanation for the "why" behind the experiments. Total waste of time & $$$ IMHO.

You could check some of the chemistry teacher guides at http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

The early grades activities require a bit of materials-hunting, but it's pretty manageable, and the activities are wonderful science, very engaging, hands-on, with a huge emphasis on conceptual understanding. Secret Formulas is fun; the kids get to invent their own formulas for toothpaste and such and test them out. If you look at the chart of guides by grade level, you'll see that most of them can be used/adjusted up or down quite a number of levels, so that many could work with a science-loving young child.

Inquiry in Action is a free, downloadable 400+ page chem program for kids from the American Chemical Society. The experiments are excellent — IMO much better than the usual science-projects-for-kiddies type books. They teach real science using common household materials, and it includes activity sheets, lab reports, assessments, and everything.

Jackie