Menu

Not sure anyone's going to answer this... but What to put under Reading in LogicStage

missesd

I haven't had the best of luck lately getting my questions answered, but I we are starting to school late. It was a last minute decision to pull them all out, then I read TWTM, took notes, compiled curriculum lists, then had to re-do it, then buying things, and well now here we are. I am setting up the binders, and taking advice from a former thread, I have my 8th grader paired with the 9th graders in History. So he is doing Ancients. Ok, that is not the problem... I am setting up his Language Arts binder, and in the Reading section it talks about books- all relevant to their historical time period, ok... But then it says to do a 2pg paper and file it under Great Books and Art :confused: Wha? Huh? They don't have one of those in the Rhetoric Stage History Binder. And I was just in Logic Stage, Language Arts area, and reading... why do I have a Reading divider if I am filing it under Great Book and Art?? Soooo confused......

For what its worth, my kids are younger than yours and the oldest won't start the logic stage until next year...

I think the confusion is coming from the fact that he will be be reading both history AND literature books from similar time periods - maybe file the history books (Biograhies, etc) in with history and the literature books in with LA.

You are in control of this and don't HAVE to set their notebooks up the way that is recommended either.

Since this is the 1st year of homeschooling, I wouldn't put reading in a binder/notebook like that. I would give my 8th grader a composition book and have her (him in your case) do a reading journal (I really like the kind SWB talks about in THe Well-Educated Mind).

Good Luck:001_smile:

For what its worth, my kids are younger than yours and the oldest won't start the logic stage until next year...

I think the confusion is coming from the fact that he will be be reading both history AND literature books from similar time periods - maybe file the history books (Biograhies, etc) in with history and the literature books in with LA.

You are in control of this and don't HAVE to set their notebooks up the way that is recommended either.

Since this is the 1st year of homeschooling, I wouldn't put reading in a binder/notebook like that. I would give my 8th grader a composition book and have her (him in your case) do a reading journal (I really like the kind SWB talks about in THe Well-Educated Mind).

This is actually the end of my 5th year. But it is his first...

I have been wondering about that. I feel like I am cheating/doing something wrong by not including any Logic or Rhetoric yet. This is our first year using the Classical method, and I just felt maybe it would be a bit much for us all. I am hoping to add it later, maybe in the Spring or next year. But then I wonder, too, some of them are so old now if it's maybe too late or if it wouldn't beneficial to them.

I would put any reading summaries not directly history related in reading for the 8th grader. 9th begins the Great Books Study which incorporates history, literature, and all that fun stuff hence the confusing filing idea. It is your choice.

But then I wonder, too, some of them are so old now if it's maybe too late or if it wouldn't beneficial to them.
It's never to late to add logic. I've done Introductory and Intermediate Logic any time from 7th-12th and give high school credit for the two books. You could do it alongside your 11th grader this summer and learn with or remind yourself how it works. One lesson takes about an hour, so it wouldn't be a time drag.

I would put any reading summaries not directly history related in reading for the 8th grader. 9th begins the Great Books Study which incorporates history, literature, and all that fun stuff hence the confusing filing idea. It is your choice.

I think maybe the best thing would be to have him do the 9th grade stuff too??