Menu

POLL: regarding working out while sick (please read post before casting 2 VOTES).

1.) Do you continue cardio workout while have an upper resp. infection? 2. outcome?  

1. 1. 1.) Do you continue cardio workout while have an upper resp. infection? 2. outcome?

• Always, even with a fever
    • Always, except on my fever day(s)
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never
    • I think exercising while sick with URI promotes healing
    • I think exercising while sick with URI won't help or hurt
    • I think exercising while sick with URI hinders healing

Please cast 2 votes (one for top options; and one for bottom 3 options...thanks).

Do you continue with your exercise program when you're sick with upper respiratory infection?

I single-out URI only because it affects your breathing while exercising.

As a mom, the kids are constantly bringing home germs and I get MOST of what they contract. I don't like not doing my heart training for weeks out of a year (when you add them up --- it's WEEKS). But, when I'm sick I don't because I fear the damage it'll do, as if it'll "set me back" in my healing.

Is this fear/concern founded?

Anyone continue with their program regardless?

Does it seem to help you or hurt you?

What's it like WHILE you're doing it? (I've NEVER tried it)

Do you think it affects your healing time?

Obviously, it's less comfortable, so should we take this as a sign to rest or not?

[FWIW, for my cardio I walk (fast) for 45 minutes or so on most days.]

Any input would be appreciated.

When I was a college athlete, the physician who treated all the student-athletes would let us play unless we had a fever. That was an absolute no-no because your body loses the ability to regulate its internal heat when you have a fever so you can get heat stroke. I was a college athlete a few decades ago, so perhaps there is newer research and other things are now not allowed.

We certainly played with colds.

I think if you are just walking, there is no reason not to work out unless you have a fever. However, there is no reason to push yourself and you could give yourself permission to take it easy, while still maintaining your fitness.

Oh totally. Upper...yes. Fever...yes, just a lighter workout.

I do, however, make sure I have a nap every day while sick, and if the infection has travelled to my lungs, well, I will do a very short workout, same as with a fever.

I think everyone is different though, so what works great for me, might not work for you.

The article I read recently said that you shouldn't work out when your sickness is "below the neck". In other words, stuffy nose, PND, sneezing, okay. Bronchitis/cough/chest congestion, don't work out.

I wouldn't work out with a fever. I work out all the time with allergies!

Wendi

The article I read recently said that you shouldn't work out when your sickness is "below the neck". In other words, stuffy nose, PND, sneezing, okay. Bronchitis/cough/chest congestion, don't work out.

I wouldn't work out with a fever. I work out all the time with allergies!

Wendi

makes sense. thanks all!

My exercise is generally walking too...I won't go while feeling terrible, but once I am starting to feel better dh will often "take me for a walk" because a gentle walk is good for the circulation, for fresh air etc. Especially if the sun is shining too.

But definitely no "pushing" of myself while sick. I am gentle with myself. Gentle exercise however is fine as long as I acutally feel like it- and sometimes dh coming along for a walk, or encouraging me, is enough to make me feel like it.

I think there is a stage of illness where it is best to do very little- to really rest. Most people do NOT do that though.

Then there is a later stage where it is good to gently move. Most people havent rested so they often push too hard by this stage, and often don't allow their body to recover properly.

I dont think a normal exercise routine should be resumed100% until the body is 100% better. But that is different from not doing anything. I tihnk it pays to be really in touch with your own body and what it needs, rather than going by external rules.

If you are getting everything your kids bring home....I would be doing something about my own health and immune system.

My exercise is generally walking too...I won't go while feeling terrible, but once I am starting to feel better dh will often "take me for a walk" because a gentle walk is good for the circulation, for fresh air etc. Especially if the sun is shining too.

But definitely no "pushing" of myself while sick. I am gentle with myself. Gentle exercise however is fine as long as I acutally feel like it- and sometimes dh coming along for a walk, or encouraging me, is enough to make me feel like it.

I think there is a stage of illness where it is best to do very little- to really rest. Most people do NOT do that though.

Then there is a later stage where it is good to gently move. Most people havent rested so they often push too hard by this stage, and often don't allow their body to recover properly.

I dont think a normal exercise routine should be resumed100% until the body is 100% better. But that is different from not doing anything. I tihnk it pays to be really in touch with your own body and what it needs, rather than going by external rules.

If you are getting everything your kids bring home....I would be doing something about my own health and immune system.

What a great post. This is what I think, too, but much more eloquently put!

:iagree: