Menu

Root canal update -- good news!

I DID IT!

I can't believe it. I am so happy that I am done.

The endodontist & her technicians were the sweetest, most patient, understanding, funny, personable group of people I could ask for.

It took 3 hours but probably 15 minutes were the doc & technician talking to me about themselves in the beginning so I could get to know them.

I had let this go so long that my gums were so swollen they were overgrowing my tooth and there were pockets of pus surrounding my tooth even though I had been on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

I have a litany of dental horror stories but the main reason I get so scared is that I was s3xually assaulted and I can't deal with having stuff shoved into my mouth and then have to hold still while someone hurts me. So there it is.

Six years ago, I tried to explain this to a female dentist and she dismissed me by saying, "Oh, you KNOW that's not to happen here."

(To be clear, the assault did not happen at the dentist, but the vulnerability and pain I feel brings back all those same feelings. I actually did much mental "work" to get through pregnancy and childbirth care.)

When they finished and took all the tools out of my mouth, I just started sobbing with relief. We all hugged. :grouphug:

Then I came home and sleep for 6 hours.

:D

I am really sore, but it has been NOT EVEN CLOSE to the pain of 2 weeks ago when I finally called a dentist and said I needed help. The first dentist, who is going to be my regular dentist now on, was as good and sweet as the endodontist. She actually was going to go with me to the endodontist herself if I wanted. How sweet is that?! The prob. was that it would have taken too long for the dentist and endo to coordinate schedules.

Thanks for the prayers. I know they helped!

:hurray: That is fantastic news - I'm really glad it all went so well for you! I'm sure the pleasant and sympathetic attitude of your dentist and the assistants greatly helped.

Also really sorry to hear about your past experiences. I know how hurtful it can be when someone is dismissive like that - as if you weren't hurting enough already! :grouphug: to you!

Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate all the high fives and attagirls!

I am still so tired! I slept for hours yesterday. I guess it was the infection (still) and the stress.

I am still sore and it really hurts if I click my teeth together -- YWIM?

Now, does anyone know how involved the next part will be? Is getting the cap difficult?

Unsinkable, I'm so glad you found such a wonderful group of medical professionals. I have the same reaction to people in the medical field for the same reasons. Even going to the eye doctor is an ordeal for me. I feel like my personal space is being violated. I'll think of your brave example the next time I go to the doctor! Again--I'm so impressed and happy for you.

Now, does anyone know how involved the next part will be? Is getting the cap difficult?

I have one and the 2nd appt wasn't that big a deal. They just popped it right in no problem! Should be no big deal after the root canal. You're home free! :001_smile:

I had a root canal done 10/26 and the temporary crown on 11/1. The temporary crown took about an hour. He numbed me up, put in a permanent filling (I think!), ground the tooth down, made a mold of the ground-down tooth, put on a temporary crown and made another mold of that. I think. I couldn't actually see much of what he was doing, so I'm speculating some.:D

The gums around the tooth were very sore the rest of the day. I get my permanent crown on 11/15. I suspect that will be a very quick procedure involving popping the temporary crown off and gluing the new one on.

I have one and the 2nd appt wasn't that big a deal. They just popped it right in no problem! Should be no big deal after the root canal. You're home free! :001_smile:

I had a root canal done 10/26 and the temporary crown on 11/1. The temporary crown took about an hour. He numbed me up, put in a permanent filling (I think!), ground the tooth down, made a mold of the ground-down tooth, put on a temporary crown and made another mold of that. I think. I couldn't actually see much of what he was doing, so I'm speculating some.:D

The gums around the tooth were very sore the rest of the day. I get my permanent crown on 11/15. I suspect that will be a very quick procedure involving popping the temporary crown off and gluing the new one on.

This where I am confused...the dentist told me I'd only have to go to the endo once...that the endo gets it all done in 1 visit. But then the endo said she did her part and now I go back to the dentist for the crown??

I don't think I have a temp crown. That sounds important, though, doesn't it?!?!

I'll call on Monday! The dentist wants my mouth to "calm down" before she does anything else. The endo & dentist did tcommunicate during the procedure and the endo was told to prepare me for a "post."

I have faith in them. I think I must have been told too much info at the end of the visit to process it all correctly.