Menu

BCP and other options...

I could take the time to google and wade through a lot of information, but I am asking for your opinions and knowledge...

I have 2 dd's who are "active". One is 20 and one is 18. My 20yodd is due with my little grandson, Jayden, the end of January. She would like to wait about 5 years before adding to her family. My 18yog is attending university and would like to wait 8 years to start a family, she is taking bcp's.

If you absolutely did not want to conceive, but were going to be "active", what would you do/take? I never took bcp's.

I am looking for a variety of options and how effective they are. I have already had a lecture from a well-meaning lady who never had children how irresponsible it was for my dd to conceive when she was in the process of "changing" the pills she was taking... and how she would have never conceived because she did what was absolutely necessary to prevent that from happening (not surgery... I think she had shots of some such thing... and maybe even a barrier...).

Are some methods more effective? What about health risks? Does birth control increase likelihood of certain cancers? Heart issues? ???

Which choices would you NEVER consider??

Thanks!

When my dd hits that age I'm going to recommend bcp combined with condoms. Used together properly it is considered very effective (although nothing is 100%). That is assuming of course that there are no health reasons for her to avoid bcp (none known of so far). I was on bcp from the time I was 15 (for very heavy cycles leading to a hospital stay for severe anemia) until I was 35 with just one short break when my dd was born. I still conceived both my son and my youngest within one month of deciding to try despite my "advanced' age. ;) I'm not as comfortable with some of the more long-term options but that's my own preferences.

Birth control is such a personal issue, I expect you will get lots of "I LOVE this", "I HATE that" - on the same products! Almost as bad as curriculum!

I have a Mirena IUD currently because I "don't" want to get pregnant and can't have surgery to get my tubes tied. I really like the Mirena IUD and would recommend it to others. It can be pricy though.

I used pills for years - several different kinds. I was very good about taking them faithfully, but managed to have DD9 anyway after I was sick and went on anti-biotics. Tried them again after she was born and got a blood clot in my leg. Not fun.

I used Depo-Prevara shots for several years. These were fine, but I had trouble remembering to go in and get them. I used patches (oh...I loved those patches!) until I started reacting to the adhesive - sensitive skin.

Your DD's probably need to visit the GYN and get a run down of what would work for them and prices. And I would recommend that they combine whatever they choose with condoms unless they are married (since these other BC methods don't do much for STDs - sorry)

My oldest used withdrawl (in spite of mom bugging her about it incessantly) successfully for five years. The little darling is two and a half now. They are still using the same method although she is also still breastfeeding on demand. The 18 year old is active and fully informed. She refuses to use BCP and other than telling me that I don't need to worry about it doesn't otherwise discuss it. The 17 year old uses both the BCP & condoms and I really wouldn't be surprised if they were using another method as well. She is pretty serious about not wanting children any time in the near future.

Are some methods more effective? What about health risks? Does birth control increase likelihood of certain cancers? Heart issues? ???

Anything involving chemical hormones increases risks, especially over long periods of time (like taking every day for 5 years). Plus a lot of the chemicals can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, which bothers a lot of people because it's basically a very early abortion. They'll have to decide whether they're okay with that (bcp and iud both can cause this).

NFP is very effective if done right, and no side effects, but the learning curve and charting is a lot to expect from an 18-20yo.

I've used 3 methods of BC other than NFP - BCP, depo, and Nuvaring. Of those, I will never, ever, not for any money in the world use depo or Nuvaring again.

Depo - I tried depo once and turned into a raving, hormonal maniac who as hell to be around (even I couldn't stand to be around me it was so awful). After the first 5 wks, I had a constant period for the rest of the time the hormone was still in my body. The worst part was know that there was nothing I could do until the hormones disappeared.

Nuvaring - I liked it while I was on it (minus several times when it was, ah..."poppped" out during relations). What makes me hate it now is when I went off of it. It messed up my body bigtime - weight gain, horrible acne, and my cycle went haywire (had to take progesterone? to force my period to start). I had always had perfect, clockwork cycles prior to then.

I got married in college. We waited 7 years before deciding to have children. The longest it took me to get pregnant was 2 months. In college, when we absolutely didn't want children...we used BCP and condoms. After college, we just used condoms. We've never had an oops, BUT dh and I are both engineers and we understand statistics and failure rates and failure rates based on improper usage. Any birth control is only effective if it is used properly and consistently.

ETA. I like the two methods I listed because they are easily reversed/stopped.

personally I would give them info on the IUDs that are available now---MIRENA (which I used and had great results with) and others-think they have some copper ones that I've heard good results about but never used myself....I used BCP for several years before becoming "active"--but as with any hormonal medication it can cause blood pressure problems....

Taking anything with hormones always gave me horrible migraines. I used a diagphram (sp?) but it was a pain to remember. If I thought I could still get pregnant now I would look into the IUD that doesn't have hormones in it. I know one of the IUDs does release hormones, not sure which one it is that doesn't. A couple of my daughters have gotten the IUD and they are pleased with it. I guess the concern with it is that if you have multiple partners then there is an increased chance of infection and possible sterility from infection so it isn't recommended for women who aren't in steady relationships.

I would never take Depo-Provera again. I took one shot and woke up with the worst headache in my life, a stiff neck, and nausea. For the next three months I had horrible headaches, had heart palpitations, was super light-headed, etc.

Basically, it was a bad reaction. The problem is that there isn't a remedy for the reaction. I just had to wait for the drug to leave my system. This meant I was miserable for three months! I also didn't have a period for nearly a year (from one single shot).

I wish I had done more research. It seems a lot of people have problems with Depo.